Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Good Old days of Fishing......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Fin
    :
    He tells me on a daily basis how they used to catch bass by the dozens, large, and in all year classes. Bluefish used to be so abundant they would fill 110Qt coolers with them to the point where people got sick of catching them. There was no idea out there that either bluefish or striped bass stock should be conserved. People used to fertilize their gardens with unwanted fish.

Then the stocks declined, slowly at first, until there was a noticable decline, and you were only catching fish in the "middle areas" (M&M theory). The edges of the M&M bowl were empty, and they instituted the moratorium.

He sees that same thing happening to the stocks today because people refuse to acknowledge that there is greater participation in fishing, more fish are being kept, and people are wasting plenty of large breeder fish just for the photo ops at the tackle shops.

He has seen wasted 40# bass that were left out in the sun, dumped into marina dumpsters. He may seem like he rants and raves a lot, but that's because he's passionate about these fish he loves to catch, and doesn't want to see history repeat itself. Pick his brain anytime ya want, he has the stats and figures to back it up!

As related by Finchaser:
    Fishing before the moratorium:

"There were so many fish back then, it would take 3 or 4 days for one body of fish to pass by in the spring or fall. If you missed those, there would be another wave of fish right after that. That's why when people talk today about how they had fish for hours, it maks me shake my head. Fishing today is nothing like it used to be before the moratorium.

Fall run, 1980's:
    A fall run back then was like a sustained fishing dream. Blitzes lasted for days, not 22 minutes. You could go fishing in the morning, catch some fish, go to work, come out on your lunch break, catch some more fish, go back to work, come home and eat dinner, and still go out to catch more fish, until your arms were really tired."
    Wow I can't even imagine fishing that good!

Great recollections from past runs. Thanks for sharing that finchaser and stripercoast, I had some great years from 89-93. After the bass came back they were pretty strong. I know that some brag about catching a double digits in the bay in the spring. News flash, when you use clams you should be catching dozens. That population is way down. I know they say the hudson stock is healthy but that is what we target in the early spring and the fishing sucked early spring this year. We used to go through almost 2 bushels of clams on a night when the fishing was good. That was our crew, 4-5 guys. Between us we would land and release over 100 fish,so that was at least 20 fish apiece some nights more. Haven't had a night like that in years. just my .02

Bump to the top for a great thread

The good thing I start my 50th year of bass fishing the bad it will never be like the good old days especially with the downward trend of the bass which I never thought I'd live to see. But as it says below my avitar

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

How about the days of getting whiting and bringing them to get smoked. My Dad used to do that. Another thing we'll never get to see again. Sigh - longing for the good old days.

frostfish

Times passed forever, sad to see them go. Go back 50 years and the sharpies would catch winter cod from beaches near Cape Cod.

done it all and happy to have done it and sad to see it go. Sure miss it more and more as things deteriorate including me

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    done it all and happy to have done it and sad to see it go. Sure miss it more and more as things deteriorate including me

Yeah but whats the alternative. Dirt nap in a pine box? No thanks.
    This quote says a lot-
    ""I've spent some time fishing the local banks by me. There's fish here but the majority are small. I caught one dink this morning and saw two others caught. There's keepers but not the majority yet. It's not hot fishing but better than sitting home."

That being said I got blanked today.

Mr grandfather was telling me about this. I guess from Dec to March you could go to the wet line and pick them up by the dozens. Wish I could have seen it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12