7/7 — July fishing stronger than normal this year

Jul 07, 2008 - 13:18:07 CDT.
by Tim Filiowich

As we enter July we often begin to see a slump in everyday fishing but that is not the case this year. Reports coming in from anglers have remained good right into July. Personally, I feel every year the overall fishing takes a dive once we reach the 4th, but I am confident that is not the case this year. Don’t believe me? I asked a few local bait shop owners about what they’ve been hearing. So far, those reports have been very encouraging, just as I had suspected.

Jim Hansen at Hansen’s Little Bear Bait said the bite has been great. Sunnies, crappies, bass and walleye are all still biting well. We tend to see the crappie bite fall off a bit this time of year, but with the cooler water temperatures the bite has remained good. Hansen also said the cooler water temps have had a good effect on the fish and their spawning habits. Rather than all the fish moving in at once he has seen groups of fish moving in — prolonging the shallow water bite. As of last week, the spawn has pretty much subsided, but people are still catching really nice crappies. If you can’t find them shallow, fish the outside weed edges in early morning or evenings for your best chance.

Another surprise this season has been the good walleye bite. It is usually more hit-and-miss on the White Bear area lakes, but the after-dark bite this year has been very good compared to past years.

"I haven’t seen fishing this good on both Bald Eagle and White Bear Lake in 50 Years,"Hansen said. And Hansen should know — he’s been in the bait business since 1984 and has seen his share of good and bad seasons. When you hear a bait shop owner make a statement like that its time to stop in, pick his brain a bit and get in on the action.

Further to the north, Rich Robinson of Mike’s Bait on U.S. Highway 8 in Forest Lake, said he is witnessing one of the best muskie bites in a long years.
"The muskie fishing on Forest has been just phenomenal,"Robinson said.

He recommended throwing buck tails and topwater baits to land one of the monsters.

Other area lakes have been good as well. Panfish are always a good bet with the sunnies in shallow water under 10 feet and the crappies moving out to the deep weed edges and suspending in deeper water. The walleye season has been a bit tougher than years past. The bite this year has been as unstable as the weather and we all know the weather can predict and influence the fish. If you’re taking the family out and want a day full of action, Robinson suggests to try Chisago Lake, North Center or South Center. These three lakes are very versatile and offer great opportunity for panfish and lots of bass, which will keep everyone busy and happy in the boat.

As I said earlier in the year, you don’t have to drive far to find good fishing; that is the best part of living in Minnesota. Most bait shop owners would be more than happy to help you find fish and dive into the details with you. Stop in before your next outing, and if you’re in the area, ask for Rich at Mike’s or Jim at Hansen’s. When you own a bait shop in the area you have to know what is happening on the lakes, and those are the guys to ask.