Thread: 2014 Striped Bass and other Musings

Default 2014 Striped Bass and other Musings

Random thoughts after fishing and no sleep....

So if the Striped Bass population is in trouble (it is since the regulations are changing), why didn't they change the regulations immediately? Don't they do that with other species?

Is anyone surprised that the Striped Bass fishing has declined? Guys like Finchaser have been warning us for years.

Lots of people complaining or whining about how good things were and how bad the catching is now. Well now that the catching will be getting worse just get over it, it is what we (recreational, charter, party boats and commercial people) made it. Just fish, have fun, and shut up. Do something constructive, like write letters to have Tom Fote exiled.

Is 2014 the year Darkskies officially stopped targeting Stripers in lieu of his beloved Bluefish?

Over the next few years what will be considered "epic fishing", will the bar be lowered? Is a cow bass still a 50 lb bass? Or will we start considering a cow to be a 30 lb bass?

Striped Bass fishing at Sandy Hook, is the False Hook (rip) the new gay hangout? like the old rest areas on highways used to be? Seems like guys like to get real close and cuddly there. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Why don't they make circle hooks mandatory (Finchaser idea I believe)?

Tom Fote is New Jersey's biggest enemy to Striped Bass. How the heck is he still representing this state???

Fishermen on Long Island are a heck of a lot more friendly than New Jersey.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Is anyone surprised that the Striped Bass fishing has declined? Guys like Finchaser have been warning us for years.

Lots of people complaining or whining about how good things were and how bad the catching is now. Well now that the catching will be getting worse just get over it, it is what we (recreational, charter and commercial people) made it. .
    Yes but is it mostly the surf fishermen or is it the charters who should get most of the blame. If they take their limit plus bonus each time they can why shouldn't we bi*ch about it. I don't mean any offense by that I agree with most else of what you are saying.

Welcome all to the 80's now everyone is starting to see what we went through.History has repeated itself, now the newer generation of fishermen will know why the old timers have been ranting about the bass population we have lived it already and have seen it coming.Blind eyes and closed ears now you have gotten what we have been saying for years suck it up like we had to.A trophy bass will likely be 20 lbs. as far as politicians go they all crap in the same pot nowadays so don't expect them to do much for you because they will lend you their sympathetic smile and line of crap and shove it up your butt.All they care about is lining their pockets with your money until they get caught.It will take quite a few years before you might see good bass fishing again that is just a fact they don't grow that fast or have successful reproductions due to many environmental factors and unsuccessful C&R practices just because it swims away doesn't mean they won't go belly up later on.I've seen people kick the fish in the water,squeeze the crap out of their belly,tear hooks out of their mouths and eyes and so on.Hopefully better regs are coming for the entire eastern seaboard.Life goes on so next time those pesky blues come around don't knock them they may be your best friend in the surf for a few years.Just my .02 cents take it or leave it.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

1. So if the Striped Bass population is in trouble (it is since the regulations are changing), why didn't they change the regulations immediately? Don't they do that with other species?

2. Is anyone surprised that the Striped Bass fishing has declined? Guys like Finchaser have been warning us for years.

3. Lots of people complaining or whining about how good things were and how bad the catching is now. Well now that the catching will be getting worse just get over it, it is what we (recreational, charter, party boats and commercial people) made it. Just fish, have fun, and shut up. Do something constructive, like write letters to have Tom Fote exiled.

4. Is 2014 the year Darkskies officially stopped targeting Stripers in lieu of his beloved Bluefish?

5. Over the next few years what will be considered "epic fishing", will the bar be lowered? Is a cow bass still a 50 lb bass? Or will we start considering a cow to be a 30 lb bass?

6. Striped Bass fishing at Sandy Hook, is the False Hook (rip) the new gay hangout? like the old rest areas on highways used to be? Seems like guys like to get real close and cuddly there. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

7. Why don't they make circle hooks mandatory (Finchaser idea I believe)?

8. Tom Fote is New Jersey's biggest enemy to Striped Bass. How the heck is he still representing this state???

9. Fishermen on Long Island are a heck of a lot more friendly than New Jersey.

I took the liberty of numbering your points here...hope ya don't mind, pal....
    (I'll try to keep my responses short....almost impossible for me.... )

1. Politics...

2. Not surprised....only surprised that so many have so much to say about it on the internet...and so few are willing to actually get involved....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...h-your-Opinion

3. "Just fish, have fun, and shut up."
    Sorry, I would rather gripe about it....no one wanted to listen for the longest time....and I'm damn crabby that I have to hunt all over to catch a few fish.....

4. I honestly had more fun catching bigger bluefish...and the occasional bass....One of the best Springs in a long time for bluefish 15+ lbs..(but a disappointing Fall in terms of consistency)..
    I was catching them deep into the summer until August when most everyone else gave it up until Fall......I loved that time out there all to myself and a few other nutcases like me....

5. There are folks on some internet sites, that now consider a 20lb bass to be a "Cow"......IMO this is how low our expectations have dropped....

6. "Sandy Hook - Seems like guys like to get real close and cuddly there."
    You and I have witnessed this.....we're not making it up.......add to that the fact that many guys will now fish for 15 minutes, and then spend the next 15 minutes standing on the beach checking their cell phones for reports....surf fishing ain't like video games, people....real life participation and effort is required...

7. Capt Al Ristori has been advocating this for years as well....and folks may finally be listening....

8. Politics...it's a dirty business....

9. Be careful of friendly fellows offering polite conversation at night.......That's all I'm sayin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post

1. Welcome all to the 80's now everyone is starting to see what we went through.

2. History has repeated itself, now the newer generation of fishermen will know why the old timers have been ranting about the bass population we have lived it already and have seen it coming.Blind eyes and closed ears now you have gotten what we have been saying for years suck it up like we had to.

3. A trophy bass will likely be 20 lbs.

4. as far as politicians go they all crap in the same pot nowadays so don't expect them to do much for you because they will lend you their sympathetic smile and line of crap and shove it up your butt.All they care about is lining their pockets with your money until they get caught.

5. It will take quite a few years before you might see good bass fishing again that is just a fact they don't grow that fast or have successful reproductions due to many environmental factors and unsuccessful C&R practices. Just because it swims away doesn't mean they won't go belly up later on. I've seen people kick the fish in the water,squeeze the crap out of their belly,tear hooks out of their mouths and eyes and so on.

6. Hopefully better regs are coming for the entire eastern seaboard.

7. Life goes on so next time those pesky blues come around don't knock them they may be your best friend in the surf for a few years.Just my .02 cents take it or leave it.

Rich, hope you don't mind, I highlighted your post with bullet points as well.....

2. Yes, and it's frustrating to see....especially when uninformed folks on the internet don't see it and think it's not true because they don't fish that often, or only fish in the middle of intense action....

3. Already happening.....in some circles a catching a 20 is now considered "Epic"....the fishing community has lowered its expectations without even realizing it, in some instances....

4. Yep

5. I think it has declined so much it could take 4-5 years to come back to the fishing many of us remember just a few short years to go...one or two good year classes cannot carry it for the next 2 years...we need at least one more good spawn to solidify the biomass strength....Just my opinion.....folks can ask Russ the NJ fisheries biologist, whenever you get a chance to meet him...very nice and knowledgeable guy.

6. I hope so as well....

7. I love catching big blues, Call me crazy.... but I feel that pound for pound, no large bass over 15 lbs compares with a fight from blues that size and bigger........

I'm in the other category...little fishing, and little sleep....makes for one crabby guy....
    So I'm gonna hijack this thread with completely random thoughts....

I encourage others to do the same (when appropriate) to make it interesting....it's gonna be a long and cold Winter....
    We need some entertainment too....

Random thought of the day......

"I love hardi-backer....
    Hate hardi-backer screws....
    My knees are sore...I'm tired....."

DS is that some kind of construction reference?
    Or are you advertising to the LGBT community and looking to fish in Asbury more?

I agree with the too little too late concept. Fishing for me has dropped. Caught more fish in the late 90's and there were less people out there. Surfstix you are spot on. As for politicians don't get me started. They will promise you the world before the election. Say anything to get elected. after its over they deliver very few of their promises.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    DS is that some kind of construction reference?
    Or are you advertising to the LGBT community and looking to fish in Asbury more?
    Maybe when he is fishing at the false rip he enjoys a hardy backer....which from what I have heard its pretty common out there.

Yep Monty, you and I have both witnessed those "Hardy Backers".......guys who were tired of fishing and resting shoulder to shoulder at the tip of Sandy Hook sitting on the beach side by side......while they took a break from fishing to check the internet fishing reports with their cell phones....
    I don't know what happened when the new generation was raised...but when I grew up...that meant you were playing for the other team....

Jigfreak, you had to have heard of hardibacker.....I know yer just busting my balls....
    It's a newer type of cement board.....a little more expensive than regular cement board for tile base....but IMO a great innovation as the screw areas are pre-patterned with dimpled surfaces, making the install just that more professional and less likely to fail.

I'll post some pics in the DIY forums when I get a chance.....
    In the meantime....... ya's all........

Let's talk about Monty's new obsession with pork......
    Is it healthy,
    or un-natural?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Let's talk about Monty's new obsession with pork......
    Is it healthy,
    or un-natural?
    Pork and Barbs!!
    But today its about.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CATTURKEY.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	19092

My thoughts looks like our season might be winding down. Got one bass this morning it doesn't look that great if this weather keeps up. 50's on Sat/sun might be something to look forward to. monty that cat is eying that turkey with bad intent. Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    My thoughts looks like our season might be winding down. Got one bass this morning it doesn't look that great if this weather keeps up. 50's on Sat/sun might be something to look forward to. monty that cat is eying that turkey with bad intent. Yours?
    No, these are mine.

From an up coming Surfcaster Journal Magazine, preview of one of their videos.
    Gotta love Bill Wetzel's thoughts on cell phones at the end. He pretty much sums it up .

Manny moreno "I was getting better at catching big fish but the fishing was declining". I think some of you guys around here said that as well. Awesome video thanks for sharing monty. Also love what that guy Bill Wetzel says about cell phones. Throw them in the water!

Great vid thank you for posting. Maybe now some ppl will listen.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Manny moreno "I was getting better at catching big fish but the fishing was declining". I think some of you guys around here said that as well.
    i as well as some others have mentioned that, Steve. These are some of the things we have been trying to raise awareness about. It's sad that there is still some resistance and name-calling by some.
    Hopefully that new video will continue to have folks asking questions - such as - "Hey if these old farts are saying this about Montauk, maybe there is some truth to it."

Some of the best of the best are in that video, Monty... guys you may run into on your trips up there..Donny Musso, Vito Orlando, Bill Wetzel, etc....thanks for sharing it.