Thread: How to: Remodel/ Update 1950's Kitchen for low dough.......

Default How to: Remodel/ Update 1950's Kitchen for low dough.......

It's tough to remodel an old place because many issues can arise. Most of the demand and money in the market is driving new construction.

But...what do you do when you don't have 2-400k for a tear-down and complete re-build?
    You make do with what you have, which is something I've always been good at.

The thing about 1950's era kitchen is.... style wasn't much in the picture then...or maybe it's better to say that style was a lot more simpler and plain than it is now.......
    Things were built for
    A. sturdiness and
    B. functionality for that era

Many would rather gut than do a re-model because of the special challenges..
    1. Heavy plaster and wire mesh in some walls.
    2. Concrete walls and floors in some bath and other areas.
    3. Old outdated wiring being a potential fire hazard.
    4. Lack of modern conveniences many of us take for granted such as adequate electrical outlets, rooms and windows designed with energy efficiency, etc....
    5. Old boring tile/linoleum/cabinet styles....reminiscent of the Soviet Union...

In this thread, I'll try to detail the steps and subtle tricks I use to make things attractive and exciting for the modern occupant........

Feel free to check back for the pics and tutorials/tips........it might take a few months to post them up....

In the meantime, if there are any
    1. contributing members here who are
    2. on a low budget
    3. and desperately in need of learning some efficient and productive construction/rehab tips and tricks in person....
    please accept my personal invite to come down and see how it's done........

(I tried this previously several years ago with a member who doesn't post here any more....
    He was broke, jobless, had no money for fishing or to contribute for gas when we did go fishing....and had little in terms of marketable skill set to get a job with....somehow, despite several offers to come, watch, and learn, he never made it down to see me install windows, tile, or change fixtures......)

His loss, I guess....I'm again making that offer, for a limited time......while this rehab is in progress....contact me via PM if interested.....remember.......this is not a static offer....we're knocking different things off the list every day....the opportunity window is small.....if a motivated member wants to learn.....I will gladly take time out of my day to teach..... )

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    In the meantime, if there are any
    1. contributing members here who are
    2. on a low budget
    3. and desperately in need of learning some efficient and productive construction/rehab tips and tricks in person....
    please accept my personal invite to come down and see how it's done........
    What a nice and generous offer DS. I have a nephew who is sort of drifting around. No career track yet and he dropped out of college. He is just kind of floundering living off the good graces of my brother. If he lived closer I would definitely send him your way to learn something. Thanks for the offer and all you do for the stripers.