Thread: 2014 Fishing, try anything new?

Default 2014 Fishing, try anything new?

So did anyone try any new plugs, tactics, anything different in 2014?

I enjoy "over-thinking" fishing, always tinkering with what I use, trying new and old stuff.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I used the Shimano Exsence Silent Assassin lures a bit this year, caught my first striper of 2014 on one in April and my last bass of 2014 the last day of November,. They cast great. The small one is 4 1/2" long and picked up a few shorts when the larger plugs were ignored.

I always wanted to try a casting egg in the rips or floating down a river near an inlet or something. Never got around to it. Was reading about them in this thread I want to try it this year.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6336-casting-eggs-tell-me-about-them&highlight=casting+egg

<a href="http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6336-casting-eggs-tell-me-about-them&amp;highlight=casting+egg" target="_blank">

buckethead posted that video and it got me pumped just thinking it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    . They cast great. The small one is 4 1/2" long and picked up a few shorts when the larger plugs were ignored.

I saw them online and was wondering about how they casted being so small. Thanks for sharing that. About how much do they go for?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I saw them online and was wondering about how they casted being so small. Thanks for sharing that. About how much do they go for?
    The small ones weigh about .6 oz, cast surprisingly ok for a 4 1/2" lure. Way better than a Mambo Minnow. Cost from $22-$28 bucks from Japan. Their weight transfer system is very smooth.

Rip-Plugger I believe has used the casting egg method.

I was looking at them too but didn't know if 25 for a plug would be worth it. Thanks for the review.

In 2014 yellow/white was my best producing color, by a wide margin. In 2014 it was blue/white, also by a wide margin. This was during light (mornings, false dawn and after)). During the dark it was the purple over silver color (plug in first post) and Smoky Joe Red Fins that were my most productive lures.

I did ok on yellow as well. It's a good color to carry with you regularly. When the water is dirty it's my go to. That or chartreuse. Many a day the chartruese tail or grub saved me from the skunk.