Thread: Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

Shoreham Beach fishermen jarred by 'No Fishing' signs

07/09/08) SHOREHAM - Shoreham fishermen say the town of Brookhaven’s sudden enforcement of a no-fishing policy is bad for business, but the town says the rule is nothing new.

The fishermen say “No Fishing” signs have suddenly popped up along Shoreham Beach, which is threatening their livelihoods and local businesses.

Stanley Hentschel, owner of Rocky Point Fishing Stop, has been in business for more than 30 years. He says this year, business is already slow and that the fishing ban isn’t helping.

The town says Shoreham Beach has always had a no-fishing policy because it's a bathing beach. However, fishermen say people have been fishing there for years and only recently has the ban been enforced.

Fishermen say they want a designated fishing area as a compromise. Brookhaven Parks and Recreation Commissioner Edward Morris says that won’t happen if it will jeopardize the safety of the people using the beach and bathing in the waters.

C/mon guys we have to get organized or it will happen everywhere. There won't be anyplace left to fish without sneaking in! From another site, hope this is ok:

I went to Shoreham Beach today , News12 was covering the story of Brookhaven banning fishing at this beach. The reporter said this story would be on today , earliest would be 5pm and run throughout the night and I would guess maybe tomorrow also.

There were 7 or 8 people there, including :

Stan Hentschel from Rocky Point Fishing Stop who has been fighting access issues on the North Shore since the 70's. Stan's email to News 12 initiated coverage of this story. I have known Stan since I was a kid, he gave me my first job working at his store. 27 years later it has come full cirlce and I am glad I was able to go out there and support him.

Willie Young was there also. I called Willie last night to let him know about this event, Willie drove 50 miles each way on the spur of the moment to be there. I thank Willie immensely for all he has done for Long Island fisherman, this guy deserves alot of credit.

Fred Golafaro from The Fisherman was there also.

A local fisherman who works at Rocky Point Fishing Stop was there as well as some other local fisherman.

We spent about 30 minutes giving the reporter some background on the issue and she interviewed Fred, Stan , Willie and the local fisherman on camera.

One guy brought his rod which is supposedly against the rules, a lifeguard made a half hearted attempt to stop him by yelling out 'no fishing allowed', but nothing happened after that.

Lets see how the piece comes out , but mission accomplished, we are fighting back and raising awareness. If they can shut down this beach they can try to do it to any beach. North Shore out there is terrible for access, there is no legal fishing or legal access for about 15 miles from Shoreham to Mt Sinai , this is totally unacceptable and probably illegal.

Jane Bonner is in charge of this, there was a public meeting in which she "happily" reported that fishing access would be closed. We have to make our vioces heard on this guys, beginning of all the access dominos falling down. Complacency will get us nowhere. Here's a c&p of the issues she cited, and her phone #. Call that # as much as you can, be respectful, and voice your opinion as a tax-paying fisherman who votes!

According to her, Miss Jane Bonner shut the place down to fishing due to the following:

1. homeless people living in the woods leaving dirty diapers and other filth
    2. homeless people living in derelict boats in the woods
    3. Shoreham was never on the night access list
    4. she has recieved numerous calls from locals praising the action now that they can enjoy the beach again
    5. illegal activity that the police cannot totally control
    6. she is just enforcing existing regulations, not restricting anyone

If you want to hear it first-hand, call her @ 631.451.8894

Seems to me that if homeless people, dirty diapers and illegal activity are there then it should be closed to the beach bathers and opened to the fisherman.

I don''t usually fish NY, but I'll call her today to support you guys. Access lost in one area is a collective loss for all fishermen.

Agreed, I'll put my two cents in.