Update - here is a letter sent from a guy, rpsurf, on another site. It's a great letter. Other people can send variations of that if they are looking for something to use as a template. I think it would be good if you changed it up a little so it doesn't get ignored as a form letter:

Subject: Questions about Shoreham Beach fishing access

The other day my dad and I went to Shoreham Beach to fish this spot for the first time this year. Needless to say we were perplexed and shocked when the attendant told us fishing is prohibited from the beach.
Typically we would walk down to the jetty by the creek and fish there, often times doing very well and enjoying beach access my taxes pay for.
Needless to say I am quite bothered that it seems I can't even walk this beach with fishing equipment to get to my fishing spot which is almost one mile away from any bathers. Can you clarify exactly what is the bathing area? I don't have an issue respecting the space of swimmers, and quite frankly I 'm not sure why anyone would fish in a bathing area, as long as the designated bathing section doesn't encompass 10 miles of the beach.

Additionally I would think if the entire beach is designated a bathing area I would assume there would be more then 1 lifeguard to cover that much of the beach. The other interesting fact is the beach on the other side of the jetty in Wading River doesn't have such a restriction. I'm very interested in your views concerning this public access matter and where you stand.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Here's the response he got. To me, is looks like she is just "passing the buck". Please keep up the pressure with letters and phone calls, guys. Remind them that they accept federal dollars for beach replenishment every time there is a severe storm or hurricane aftereffects. UNLESS they are accepting ZERO dollars from the federal gov't, they have an obligation to allow access to ALL people, re the Public Trust Doctrine.

Thank you for your recent letter regarding fishing at Brookhaven’s Shoreham Beach.

Since being elected to the Brookhaven Town Board, I have worked to improve the quality of life for residents in our area, provide the important services and preserve the character of our communities, at an affordable price for our taxpayer.

As you may know, the issue you wrote about has been an ongoing question regarding beach users and the Town, which resulted in increased code enforcement action by Supervisor Foley last year.

To address your specific questions regarding fishing or other recreational use of our town facilities I am forwarding your letter to our Parks Commissioner, Ed Morris.

Thank you for contacting me on this important issue. I will ask Commissioner Morris to keep me apprised of this situation on your behalf.

Sincerely yours,

Councilwoman Jane Bonner