Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

Thanks for clearing that up, Tom, and continuing to play the political game. The few years that I've been covering fishermens' issues has taught me that sometimes the people at the top are aware of policy decisions by others, but appear to do nothing about it, and let the others take the blame. I didn't know if that was the case here, but I feel the top people should be held responsible, to a reasonable extent.

As you explained, that may not always be true. I'm glad to have help clarifying a perspective, and your analysis is always fair and balanced.

It must be frustrating at times, but you're right, in our society that's the way things get done. Keep up the good work, and let us know any time we can help provide support or publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Farrell View Post
    We know exactly what we have to do no matter what their response is. Prior to doing anything we make sure we have all of our bases covered so we can adapt and overcome any obstacles that come our way.

Sounds like a carefully thought out plan, almost military like in thoroughness. I'm glad you guys have it covered.

Default Re: Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

Brookhaven re-visited 2013
    I thought in light of the access issues at Drag Island in NJ, some folks might like to read about a beach and fishing access case in LI, that is now seen as a landmark watershed case involving beach access and the rights of all to fish and enjoy our natural resources unmolested by adjacent property owners or government bureaucrats.

Default Re: Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Brookhaven re-visited 2013
    I thought in light of the access issues at Drag Island in NJ, some folks might like to read about a beach and fishing access case in LI, that is now seen as a landmark watershed case involving beach access and the rights of all to fish and enjoy our natural resources unmolested by adjacent property owners or government bureaucrats.
    The more information the better.

Just bringing this to the top for anyone who wants to look at a case study of one of the most important beach fishing access cases of this decade.
    A key here was cooperation, and compromise.
    Anger and harsh words did not get things done.
    A. Compromise,
    B. fishermen support/pressure over a sustained period of time
    C. and adult dialogue

kept it moving, and ultimately allowed a solution to be crafted.
    Thanks to all who did their part.
    I was glad to have a small part in this.

For the folks who ignore any current cases, because they are not in your area, remember that once a precedent is set,, it's very difficult to overturn (Except in the most recent NJ cases where some authority may cede back to the DEP).

Food for thought-
    If you don't help fight for neighboring access today, your children may not have that access tomorrow.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011