Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Brookhaven bans fishing at Shoreham Beach!

I am glad to see that it somewhat open. I still don't get how they can get away with this. I thought anyone was allowed to fish the beaches because of the public trust doctrine? Don't our taxes pay for their errosion when it happens?

Default Wrongdoings on North Shore of Brookhaven

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I am glad to see that it somewhat open. I still don't get how they can get away with this. I thought anyone was allowed to fish the beaches because of the public trust doctrine? Don't our taxes pay for their errosion when it happens?
    Tom Farrell and others have done a tremendous amount of work uncovering a slew of wrongdoings at the beaches of the North Shore of Brookhaven. Check it out, it is all documented here:

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/Vi...=146856&page=1

It is appalling what has gone on there and the mistaken belief that some residents and property associations believing the beaches are theirs and no one else.

Looks like the fisherman are going to have to rally again to undo these wrongdoings! Rich and others here got involved, we may need some help again!!

RPsurf, you have my blessing to use the resources of the site whenever you need to get publicity for anything like this. You, Tom Farrell, and the guys at NYCRF should feel free to quote anything used in this thread to further your cause. Asking my explicit permission isn't necessary for this thread.

I have so much time invested in this issue that I don't want to see fishermen lose on this one.

So feel free, and please keep us posted if there are any more meetings where they need fisherman support.

I have a decent videocamera now too, and can tape some of the meetings if needed.

Additiuonally:
    Fishermen need to realize that just because a place has permitted access because of the Public Trust Doctrine, they still need to conduct themselves well and behave with respect to the homeowners.

I know homeowners can sometimes be arrogant, condescending, and unaware of the law. That's unfortunate.

It's also unfortunate that some fishermen think public access gives them the right to be rude, or disrespectful. The other night I had to intervene in a dispute in Ocean County NJ when homeowners got angry with fishermen fishing a public access spot near their house.

One of the fishermen threatened to put a brick through the homeowners' window. It was ar that point that I tried to intervene.

Even though the homeowners were not exactly right in their actions, there's no excuse for threatening them or harassing them.

We as fishermen have to be smarter than that if we want to win these fights. We have to conduct ourselves with respect and without being abusive to those who live there. Sometimes this seems impossible because there are those out there who hate fishermen.

But....remember that every time we exhibit poor behavior, it reflects on all fishermen. This behavior should not be tolerated by other fishermen, if they witness it. I think the time has come to exert negative peer pressure on any fisherman who makes it bad for the rest of us.

Good luck with the fight, and let us know if there is anything else we can do here, RP.

Thanks Rich! I felt a bit funny about linking to another fishing web site, but there is so much information there now, would be difficult to have it all in two places.

Your support during the Shoreham fight was tremendous and much appreciated!!!

These kinds of fights in Brookhaven will be perpetual, we really need to stay on top of it. I thought Shoreham was egregious, but the lastest developments are just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rpsurf5 View Post
    Thanks Rich! I felt a bit funny about linking to another fishing web site, but there is so much information there now, would be difficult to have it all in two places.

RP, normally I might not allow it, but you're right in that statement, I have to agree. There is more interest in that specific thread on that site than any other internet fishing site out there. Caring about the issue as I do, I would be irresponsible not to let people see that, and the level of outrage that has arisen because of it.

And if I learned anything in the Fishermens' March on Washington, it't that we need outrage, we need our fishermen to be passionate about getting involved in issues that affect them.

The act of getting involved in internet discussions about this is not enough.

We need the guys who will go to the meetings and write the letters of protest.

That number of involved fishermen represents a small fraction of all fishermen. Sad as that's sounds, that's why we need maximum internet exposure and public awareness on issues like this one.

Default Things heating up

All,

Tom Farrell and Stan Hentschel from Rocky Point Fishing Stop were on News 12 TV yesterday in Rocky Point. Things are really heating up. Please visit the thread on Noreast.com and read it, everything is documented there and pictures also. There is an illegal fence at the end of a public road that is blocking access to the beach. They even put pipes under the bottom of the fence and greased them up.

Linda Albo is the President of the homeowners association said we were welcome to use the beach, but would have to pay $250 to join her private home association !!!!

Stay tuned, a rally somewhere to protest these wrongdoings and the town doing nothing about it may be in the works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broadway beach.jpg  

. There is an illegal fence at the end of a public road that is blocking access to the beach. They even put pipes under the bottom of the fence and greased them up.

Linda Albo is the President of the homeowners association said we were welcome to use the beach, but would have to pay $250 to join her private home association !!!!

Stay tuned, a rally somewhere to protest these wrongdoings and the town doing nothing about it may be in the works.

Illegal fences and greased poles? Dirty pool.
    All to block access to public water.

Gotta keep this in the news and on the front lines.

To that end, a big thanks to Stan Hentschel, Tom Farrell, and the rest of the NY-CRF for pushing this in the public eye and keeping the media in the loop.

Tom Farrell, as a key officer in the NY-CRF, knows the importance of coalition-building, media attention, and building alliances with the fishermen. There are a lot of people involved, but it seems Tom is not one to let fishermens rights be trampled on. Kudos to him and all you others for keeping that pressure up.

Thanks for keeping us posted on this John, and continuing to do so. It seems to me a rally might be needed again, please let us know if one is scheduled.

I can't believe that, elite pieces of crap those homeowners.

Default Letter to Linda Albo of NSBPOA

I have sent the following letter to Linda Albo. I encourage others to do the same.

<<Linda Albo
    President
    North Shore Beach Property Association of Rocky Point, NY
    P.O. Box 601
    Rocky Point NY 11778

Dear Ms. Albo:
    As a citizen, taxpayer, fisherman, beachgoer and someone who grew up fishing the beaches of Rocky Point, I am disgusted and appalled by your organization’s stance on beach access for the general public and your recent comments on News 12. The North Shore Beach Property Association of Rocky Point may own the beach above the high tide mark, but they certainly do not own the beach below the high tide mark. The Public Trust Doctrine which was around long before the NSBPOA was established in 1928 and will be around long after the NSBPOA, gives the general public rights to access the beach below the high tide mark. This is in place to give all citizens access to the beach, just not a select few who live near the beach. Your stance that citizens who want legal access to their beaches can only get it by paying your private association $250 to join is appalling. We already have legal access to these beaches and you can’t legally stop anyone from using these beaches.

First of all, there is a zero percent chance of myself or anyone I know paying your organization $250 to access what is legally ours to begin with. Aside from that, what about people who can’t afford this fee? What about the elderly, the handicapped, families with kids who just want to enjoy a day at the beach but can’t afford $250? The economy is terrible, unemployment is at a record high, but you have the nerve to make a flippant remark that per day the cost is less than a box of worms. $250 might be affordable to wealthy beachfront homeowners, but people who can’t afford this are being discriminated against.

I am aware of fences that have been erected at the end of Broadway and Friendship Drive. These fences are not legal and are blocking access by the general public to public beaches from public roads. Worse yet, the fence at Broadway now has greased pipes underneath it. Not only is this further blocking legal access, but it is danger to the health and safety of the public.

The fisherman are stewards of the beach. We very much value beaches and do everything we can do to keep them clean and safe. Whatever we bring on the beach, we take off and more. We organize and participate in beach cleanups. We are an extra set of eyes on the beach and when we see illegal activity we report it. Fishing gives kids a productive activity to do and promotes respect for our natural resources. Generations of kids are being deprived of learning how to fish and instead resort to less desirable activities which can be harmful to their well being and the general public’s well being. I grew up fishing the beaches of Rocky Point, at that time my family couldn’t afford $250 so I can go and fish, thankfully back then it wasn’t required. I have fond memories of getting on my bike and going fishing, a lot of what I learned back then has made me a respectable, law abiding productive citizens. Many kids who now are like me back then are being deprived the same experiences and life lessons that I received.

Feel free to distribute this letter to your board of directors and your membership. Are they aware of the actions of the NSBPOA and your stance on beach access? Do they agree with it? Are they aware that there is possible illegal activity by the NSBPOA? I believe your stance is morally and socially wrong; how about your members? The beaches are for everyone, not just a select few. Is your membership happy about keeping people off of public beaches? What about the effect reduced beach access is having on the local economy? People who come to the beaches spend money locally. As access is taken away, so is money to the local economy. If local businesses fail and people leave the area, Rocky Point will become a ghost town and property values will fall. Are they ready to legally defend themselves from criminal and civil penalties if it is found that the NSBPOA is breaking the law, violating the rights of the public and discriminating against segments of the population?

I have friends, family, fellow fisherman, fellow club members, and fellow beachgoers who live in Brookhaven and beyond and will not let our rights be violated. I am aware that fisherman and citizens alike have tried to work with local politicians and the NSBPOA to resolve this situation, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Fishermen are an extremely dedicated group with a tremendous amount of resolve. We fish all hours of the day and night. We brave cold, heat, wind, snow and rain to do what we love to do. We have many sleepless nights, we walk miles as we fish, we deal with locals who try to restrict our access. There are thousands of us locally and millions of us nationally. The same determination and resolve we use when we fish, will be used to defend our rights to access the beaches; that I can guarantee you. It is a shame that it has come to this, but we will not let our rights be violated any more. I urge you to work with local fishing and non fishing groups to come to a resolution. Myself and many others will pursue every legal, social and political option to rectify these situations and will never stop fighting to protect our rights.

Sincerely,
    John E. Russell
    >>

I have sent the following letter to Linda Albo. I encourage others to do the same.

<<Linda Albo
    President
    North Shore Beach Property Association of Rocky Point, NY
    P.O. Box 601
    Rocky Point NY 11778

Dear Ms. Albo:
    First of all, there is a zero percent chance of myself or anyone I know paying your organization $250 to access what is legally ours to begin with. Aside from that, what about people who can’t afford this fee? What about the elderly, the handicapped, families with kids who just want to enjoy a day at the beach but can’t afford $250? The economy is terrible, unemployment is at a record high, but you have the nerve to make a flippant remark that per day the cost is less than a box of worms. $250 might be affordable to wealthy beachfront homeowners, but people who can’t afford this are being discriminated against.

I am aware of fences that have been erected at the end of Broadway and Friendship Drive. These fences are not legal and are blocking access by the general public to public beaches from public roads. Worse yet, the fence at Broadway now has greased pipes underneath it. Not only is this further blocking legal access, but it is danger to the health and safety of the public.

The fisherman are stewards of the beach. We very much value beaches and do everything we can do to keep them clean and safe. Whatever we bring on the beach, we take off and more. We organize and participate in beach cleanups. We are an extra set of eyes on the beach and when we see illegal activity we report it. Fishing gives kids a productive activity to do and promotes respect for our natural resources. Generations of kids are being deprived of learning how to fish and instead resort to less desirable activities which can be harmful to their well being and the general public’s well being.
    Sincerely,
    John E. Russell
    >>
    That was a very well-worded letter rpsurf, thank you for posting that. I hope you don't mind, I took the context of that letter, took out the sentences that pertained to you, and sent it in as well.

I suggest others here do the same. It's not that hard, RP has done all the writing for us, All you have to do is C&P the relevant paragraphs, and sene it on. They need to hear from a multitude of people on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    That was a very well-worded letter rpsurf, thank you for posting that. I hope you don't mind, I took the context of that letter, took out the sentences that pertained to you, and sent it in as well.

I suggest others here do the same. It's not that hard, RP has done all the writing for us, All you have to do is C&P the relevant paragraphs, and sene it on. They need to hear from a multitude of people on this.
    I don't mind at all , thanks for taking the time to create your version of the letter and send it out. I encourage everyone else to do the same. We need to let these people know there are a lot of us ,we are watching them and we will not let them get away with violating our rights. There is strength in numbers, the more people who write letters , the better off we will be.

Also, this weekend they had there annual clambake, there are no parking signs all over the area near the beach to keep people like us out, but wouldnt you know it, there were a lot of illegally parked cars yesterday so the members of the association could attend the clambake. None of them were ticketed. What do you think would happen if we tried to park down there and go fishing, we would be ticketed and towed in a heartbeat. They want to live by their own set of rules there.

Also, this weekend they had there annual clambake, there are no parking signs all over the area near the beach to keep people like us out, but wouldnt you know it, there were a lot of illegally parked cars yesterday so the members of the association could attend the clambake. None of them were ticketed. What do you think would happen if we tried to park down there and go fishing, we would be ticketed and towed in a heartbeat. They want to live by their own set of rules there.

That sux, I sent a letter today, thanks for the idea.

Looks like they have it right in Jersey. Theres nothing like the smell of victory. Its only a matter of time.

"

Attorney General's Office may challenge beach-access limits in Loveladies, North Beach

Print this Article Share this Article

StoryDiscussionBy DONNA WEAVER Staff Writer | Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2010 | 7 comments

Font Sizeefault font sizeLarger font size.
    A sign at the entrance to the 1049 block in North Beach denies beach access. Portions of the beach in Loveladies and North Beach in Long Beach Township have no public access.

Photo by: Jack Reynolds

After winning a series of beach access fights in Monmouth County last month, the state Attorney General’s Office is expected to turn its attention to opening up beach paths along Long Beach Island in Ocean County this summer.

The 18-mile-long island has hundreds of sandy paths stretching from Long Beach Boulevard to the beach, but most are marked “Private” or “No Beach Access.” The signs are not legally enforceable, but they do discourage beachgoers. The state Department of Environmental Protection has said it wants them taken down, particularly since the island is in the midst of a $77 million beach-replenishment project.

In January, the state attorney general reached settlements with six private beach clubs in Monmouth County. The settlements gave the public access to a wider swath of beach in front of the clubs — in some cases, they had been limited to as little as 15 feet of sand.

A spokesman for Gov. Chris Christie said last week that the governor will address beach access issues by the start of the tourist season.

“We’ll get to it,” Michael Drewniak said. “Just not yet.”

Portions of the beach in Loveladies and North Beach — both sections of Long Beach Township — have virtually no public access.

Custom-made signs declaring “No Beach Access,” “Private Lane,” “No Trespassing” and “Do Not Enter” line Long Beach Boulevard. There are 239 private lanes with easements on the bay and ocean sides of Long Beach Boulevard in Loveladies and North Beach.

As such, beachgoers who do not own an oceanfront home can expect no parking, restrooms or other amenities along this two-mile stretch of mostly multimillion-dollar homes.

Beach-access advocacy groups say the settlements between the state and the six private beach clubs and Sea Bright, Monmouth County, will serve as a way to open beach access in sections of Long Beach Township.

Tim Dillingham, executive director of the American Littoral Society, said Long Beach Island is the poster child for private homeowners trying to keep people off publicly-funded beaches.

“Owners have a problem letting people on the beach there, but they have no problem accepting public money,” Dillingham said.

However, Kenneth Porro, an attorney for 67 oceanfront homeowners across LBI who refuse to sign easements for a beachfill project, said pursuing beach access on private lanes on the north end is another example of government trying to take land without just compensation.

“The government has the power to do this under eminent domain and the Public Trust Doctrine but they must pay homeowners,” he said.

“Think about it. It’s your property, you pay thousands of dollars in taxes, why should you give up private access when people can walk to the next street,” Porro said.

He said he believes public access in Loveladies and North Beach is not that big of a problem compared with the missing amenities.

“People don’t go there to go to the beach because they know there’s nowhere to park or go to the bathroom,” Porro said.

Long Beach Township has been at odds with oceanfront homeowners in Loveladies and North Beach who have refused to sign easements granting property access to the state Department of Environmental Protection and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to complete a beach-replenishment project.

Over the past few years, many homeowners say the reason they won’t sign is because they believe doing so will lead to a boardwalk being built, more public parking, bathrooms and more members of the public getting to the beach by their homes.

“It’s offensive that there’s no access and it’s preposterous that there is no way to get over the dunes or park,” said Julia LeMense, an attorney who represented the littoral society and Citizens Right to Access Beaches, or CRAB.

Both CRAB and the littoral society were involved in the three-year mediation process for the Monmouth County settlements. Attorney General Anne Milgram sued nine beach clubs and Sea Bright in 2006 for limiting public beach access.

The lawsuit claimed the beach clubs were in violation of the Public Trust Doctrine. The long-held principle, which dates to Roman times, says the public cannot be denied access to the water.

The settlements significantly expand the amount of beach open to the general public, and the beach clubs also have agreed to contribute to a fund that will be used for the construction of additional public-access amenities in Sea Bright, according to the state Attorney General’s Office. Under the settlement, Sea Bright agreed to spend $556,000 to provide additional public-access amenities within the borough that are related to providing public access to the beach.

CRAB founder Ralph Coscia, of Brick Township, said the public has a very strong right to access and use the beaches anywhere in New Jersey, including on Long Beach Island. He said if opening beach access can happen in Sea Bright, it can happen on LBI.

Coscia, 62, formed the nonprofit organization in 1996, following a series of beach-access issues in Point Pleasant Beach.

Coscia said he hopes the Christie administration will favor beach access and examine Long Beach Island because tourism in New Jersey is a multimillion-dollar business.

“This settlement serves as a model and mechanism for the LBI access issue to be resolved,” he said.

“We’re hoping we can build upon each case, like this case in Sea Bright, and each case that comes along — and there will be more that come along — the process will get easier.”

Dillingham said the question of public access has not received as much attention on Long Beach Island as the issue with easements.

“This is timely to look at because of the beach renourishment project on LBI. This is a new administration and we’re hoping to turn their attention to LBI,” he said.

Laurie Brewer, spokeswoman for the state Department of the Public Advocate, said the department believes that the state serves as the trustee to ensure that beaches are available for the benefit of all. She said the state should make every effort to ensure reasonable access to New Jersey beaches — including those in front of private beach clubs and privately owned homes.

“We hope that the Sea Bright settlement shows other municipalities they can play nice in the sandbox,” LeMense said.

Statehouse Bureau writer Juliet Fletcher contributed to this report.

Contact Donna Weaver:

609-226-9198

DWeaver@pressofac.com
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Farrell View Post
    Looks like they have it right in Jersey. Theres nothing like the smell of victory. Its only a matter of time.

"

Attorney General's Office may challenge beach-access limits in Loveladies, North Beach

Coscia said he hopes the Christie administration will favor beach access and examine Long Beach Island because tourism in New Jersey is a multimillion-dollar business.

“This settlement serves as a model and mechanism for the LBI access issue to be resolved,” he said.

“We hope that the Sea Bright settlement shows other municipalities they can play nice in the sandbox,” LeMense said.

Statehouse Bureau writer Juliet Fletcher contributed to this report.

Contact Donna Weaver:

609-226-9198

DWeaver@pressofac.com
    "

Tom. I'm not sure if this will apply anymore. They did something with the NJ DEP where they now give the towns the right to decide access, so in that sense it seems they don't have a leg to stand on and the access will be denied.
    Here is a thread I found in the NJ forum.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=6772

I think it shows the govt doesn't want to protect the public trust. It really sucks.

This is a real beauty here. And don't be surprised if things are proven to be the same at Rocky Point near Broadway and Friendship!

http://www.northshoresun.com/news-ar...ts-battle.html

"Riverhead Councilman George Gabrielsen, who was at a recent meeting with the homeowners when the town presented its findings, said, "Their jaws dropped when we showed them this."

Town attorney Dawn Thomas said the town now believes the amount of beachfront land that belongs to the homeowners is far less than they claimed.

The members of the NSBPOA better wake up and smell the coffee and not let their President bring them down. The private homeowner association in New Jersey recently found out what it was like to be sued by the A.G. on behalf of the public. The association not only lost; they lost big time.

I hate the old double standard. Do what I say, not what I do.

Earlier this morning Willy Young, Debbie DelGatto and myself were in a meeting with Supervisor Lesko and other high ranking officials from the Town of Brookhaven such as the Town Attorney. Key topics of discussion were Shoreham Beach, Broadway Avenue, Friendship Drive, the fishing advisory board and many of the improvements that were offered by the Parks Commissioner Ed Morris. The reason the offered improvements were brought up is because Parks Commissioner Morris stated that they were to be taken care of immediately back in January and to the best of my knowledge nothing has been done yet. In my opinion the meeting went very well. As per Supervisor Lesko the Town is going to research all of the issues that were presented, and they will respond to our requests in writing. The meeting was conducted in an extremely professional and positive manner. Hopefully we will have a fair resolution in the near future. As for now, we will have to give the Town some additional time to do their own additional research. I still have good faith in Supervisor Lesko and I am sure there will be a positive outcome of this mornings meeting.

Notice anything different about this picture? It is the end of Broadway Avenue back in 1987.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broadway 1987.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Farrell View Post
    Earlier this morning Willy Young, Debbie DelGatto and myself were in a meeting with Supervisor Lesko and other high ranking officials from the Town of Brookhaven such as the Town Attorney. Key topics of discussion were Shoreham Beach, Broadway Avenue, Friendship Drive, the fishing advisory board and many of the improvements that were offered by the Parks Commissioner Ed Morris. The reason the offered improvements were brought up is because Parks Commissioner Morris stated that they were to be taken care of immediately back in January and to the best of my knowledge nothing has been done yet. In my opinion the meeting went very well. As per Supervisor Lesko the Town is going to research all of the issues that were presented, and they will respond to our requests in writing. The meeting was conducted in an extremely professional and positive manner. Hopefully we will have a fair resolution in the near future. As for now, we will have to give the Town some additional time to do their own additional research. I still have good faith in Supervisor Lesko and I am sure there will be a positive outcome of this mornings meeting.

Call me cynical, but I'm tired of hearing the same old thing from that Admin. They said the same thing last year, and as you mentioned nothing has been done yet. This, despite the fishermen support that helped them get elected. Actions speak louder than words, and so far they ain't done much to live up to their promises.

Even so, I admire you and all the NY-CRF leaders and supporters for the restraint you've showed. You have done an exemplary job of keeping your cool and showing respect even when the politicians and admin haven't earned that respect.

Through it all, you and everyone else has maintained your composure and professionalism. That means a lot. Thanks for all you and those at the NY-CRF and its supporters do, Tom. Regards to Willie as well.

Thank you for your support Rich. But just so you know Supervisor Lesko did make all of the changes that he promised he would make last year. Unfortunately this year Shoreham Beach was hardly open due what they claim as being financial reasons and a lack of staffing. The offers that have not been fulfilled as of yet for this year were made by the Commissioner of Parks Ed Morris. As far as the issues at Broadway Ave. and Friendship Drive go in Rocky point we have to wait and see what the outcome will be regarding the Towns stance. We know exactly what we have to do no matter what their response is. Prior to doing anything we make sure we have all of our bases covered so we can adapt and overcome any obstacles that come our way. As far as the other issues go, the offers of improvements were put on the table and we were told by the Parks Commissioner that they were going to be taken care of immediately; so we will do what we can to have him held accountable for his actions or lack there of. Supervisor Lesko informed us that he will be speaking to Ed Moriss regarding those issues today. A non resident permit and drastically improved parking should be on the way in the near future.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast