Thread: Favorite time to fish

Default Favorite time to fish

Mine is in this pic. In the dark.
    Its been almost 2 months since I wet a line and can't wait to get back out there in the dark, likely early April.
    Miss the solitude, the excitement. Fished last year the majority of the time on Long Island, was the most incredible fishing year of my life.
    Really looking forward to this year out there. Experiencing the south shore and Montauk on those dark nights were incredible fun, exciting, challenging.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Night time is the right time. I can remember back in the day sunrise and the last 2 hours before sunset used to be pretty awesome too. seems that with the times changing the way they are the best shot at more than 1 is in the shadows of the night. Nice pic there.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Night time is the right time. I can remember back in the day sunrise and the last 2 hours before sunset used to be pretty awesome too. seems that with the times changing the way they are the best shot at more than 1 is in the shadows of the night. Nice pic there.
    5 or 6 years ago Rip-Plugger (Roddy) told me I needed to fish in the dark more. Was very blunt about it, said if I am going to catch more Bass, increase my skill level, I needed to spend more hours in the dark. I was usually on the water from 5:00 AM to 9:00 or 10:00 AM before he mentioned this to me.
    I listened to him and now every trip I take I start fishing between 12:30 AM and 2:00 AM (depending on how far I have to drive) and finish up around 8:00 give or take an hour. I owe him big time because I really enjoy the dark hours, has increased the fun/excitement factor big time for me. Catching or not catching its always an adventure.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I am older and don't need that much sleep at night. I often get up at night around 4:00 to pee so that's a good time to head out and fish. I find the two hour period before sunrise to be convenient to me and it has given me some consistency in fishing. Also you can't beat a great sunrise on the water.

What CC said^^^^^ as my # one
    # 2 at dusk
    # 3 when conditions are right Dawn and Dusk

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Agreed there are probably not too many folks who remember the afternoon and mid day blitzes we used to have in the spring and the fall. One of these days we will be talking about them like they do about the days before the remote control and cell phones were invented.

I like the 4 to 6 am shift. If you catch its good. If you dont its no biggie then off to work and then you can come back the next day when they are biting. Fishing the river or back bays in the spring for me its more dependent on the incoming tide. When hitting them up I try to be there at the end of the incoming on a sunnier day.

Usually 3a.m. to 7a.m. I won't be hitting it this year.I have a new toy to play with when the weather warms up some, going to hang with my brother,nephew and wife and try to stay out of trouble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails used-1972-chevrolet-chevelle-forsale-8031-12516755-6-640.jpg   used-1972-chevrolet-chevelle-forsale-8031-12516755-63-640.jpg  

Cranky Old Bassturd.

Call me crazy but I love the pre-sunrise bite too. surfstix. Is that a SS? Clean looking motor sweet looking ride.

I'm not that big on the night tides because I'm not a hard core surf rat. I do think the fishing right before dawn has been awesome for me. I learned enough during the years not to fish during the day unless they are blitzing. As others said there is something about a beautiful sunrise to start your day that helps to pump me up.

Thanks it would be a SS clone I guess you would call it.My brother has a 70 SS 454.I'm not a stock guy mine has a Ford 9" rear 411 gears 540 HP all auto meter gauges in the dash,B&M shifter,custom bucket seats etc. etc. not much stock left to it.It was all redone by a really good car builder in NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by plugginpete View Post
    Call me crazy but I love the pre-sunrise bite too. surfstix. Is that a SS? Clean looking motor sweet looking ride.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I've always done better in the Morning then the night shift other then live eels at very specific tides in the inlets.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    I'm not that big on the night tides because I'm not a hard core surf rat. I do think the fishing right before dawn has been awesome for me. I learned enough during the years not to fish during the day unless they are blitzing. As others said there is something about a beautiful sunrise to start your day that helps to pump me up.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

im all about the night tides!! Nothing better then stalking bass in the dead of night...I do a couple trips that ill hit the beach a few hr before sunrise and leave once i get a few pics of the sunrise... unless the bite is hot then ill stay till it stops!!!

Sweet ride SS...Lemme no if ya ever need it detailed...Thats what i do for a living...Work at a used car dealership and i detail most of my bosses classics he has in his collection(which is pretty serious)...I belive he is up to 47 Packards most of which are 1 of a kinds...Plus a fair amount of hot rods but the Packards are his passion...Its really cool to work on them and see the AMAZING craftmanship that went in to those cars most of which are pre-war era...Good luck with the ride and have fun with it!!

Thanks Blazin good detailers are a rare breed.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Usually 3a.m. to 7a.m. I won't be hitting it this year.I have a new toy to play with when the weather warms up some, going to hang with my brother,nephew and wife and try to stay out of trouble.
    Wow that is a beauty! Good luck with her.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I've always done better in the Morning then the night shift other then live eels at very specific tides in the inlets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    im all about the night tides!! Nothing better then stalking bass in the dead of night...I do a couple trips that ill hit the beach a few hr before sunrise and leave once i get a few pics of the sunrise... unless the bite is hot then ill stay till it stops!!!
    I read that post where you got a big striper on an eel at an intlet surf stix that was awesome. nice pic of the car as well it looks fast just standing there! blazing I like the night time too it seems the fish are less wary.

11-pm on is my fave time.
    the men are out there working the rips,the boys are out there soaking chunks!
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

I like the quietness and beauty of the 4-5am hour in the summer. It can be a lake, bay or ocean. Just love seeing the world wake up.

^^^ That is a cool time to be out there. Unfortunately with work its hard to get down for sunrise so I have bee sticking with the and of day/night bite. I do think in the summer when the water is warm fishing at dawn will sometimes give you that chance at a nice fish. Watching that sun come over the horizon is awesome too.