Thread: Rhode Island proposed Striper regulation

Default Rhode Island proposed Striper regulation

The Rhode Island public hearing on striped bass was held yesterday at the URI Bay campus. First a workshop was held by members of DEM - Division of Fish and Wildlife - Marine Fisheries Those in attendance could question the reasoning and methodology used to support the proposed regulation changes. This was followed by the meeting where public comment could be made for the record.

Here are my ...thoughts and observations on the meeting:The turnout was moderate with many members of the commercial fishing and charter boat industry present.

The recreational angler turn out was not high.

Steve Medeiros of the Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association voted for Option 2 which allows recreational anglers to keep one fish min size 28? while charter boats can keep two fish at a min size of 32? with the provision that captain and mate are not allowed to keep fish. A number of anglers identifying themselves as members of RISAA also voted in favor of Option 2. A few other rec anglers voted Option 2 with no reason.

Peter Jenkins, on behalf of himself and a number of RI Bait and Tackle shops, adamantly voted for Option 1 with only one fish 28? min size for recreational anglers AND charter boat. Jenkins sighted that tackle shops were providing an entryway into the sport with the sale of waders or kayaks, just as the charter boat industry does. He also sighted the need to keep regs consistent to simplify enforcement.

Dennis Zambrotta spoke representing the Newport County Salt Water Fishing Club and himself. Voting for Option 1 DZ offered an explanation that as RI SW License holders we were assured a significant role in the regulator process. Currently out of state anglers can fish off a RI Charter Boat without even the need for a RI license. Yet we are going to let them take an extra fish out of our local waters?

Captain Charlie Donilon spoke on behalf of himself and tried to reason with the other charter captains that the fish are in trouble and for that reason he can?t support two fish for the charter fishery, but he proposed a 1.5 fish per customer bag limit at min size of 32?.

Another charter boat captain requested Option 2 with the ability of the captain and the mate to ?Take one home for the table.?

I voted for Option 1 after explaining that I have a unique perspective as a diver and documentary film maker focused on striped bass for over 20 years, covering their range from NJ to ME. I know striped bass are in trouble! The expectation of only a 50% chance of success with ANY of these proposed reductions calls for the most conservative of actions. The need to keep size limits standardized is also important for effective enforcement. RI needs to go Option 1.

A handful of other anglers supported Option 1.

The charter boat association pleaded their need for two fish in order to feed their families and keep clothes on their kids, coupled with the fact that they brought in millions of tourist dollars.

We could have used more anglers supporting the fact that kayak anglers and shore based fisherman contribute significantly to the local economy.

Mike Lani expressed his dissatisfaction with the ?lean? approach to now having meetings covering several species of fish without much panel discussion and then he voted Option 1.

The most important take away from the meeting:They have extended the public comment period to February 26, so whatever option you favor you can weigh in and perhaps make a difference.

Written comments concerning the proposed regulations may be submitted to Peter Duhamel, Division of Fish and Wildlife Marine Fisheries office, 3 Fort Wetherill Road, Jamestown, RI 02835 no later than 12:00 Noon on February 26, 2015

email for any and all communication. peter.duhamel@dem.ri.gov

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post

Dennis Zambrotta spoke representing the Newport County Salt Water Fishing Club and himself. Voting for Option 1 DZ offered an explanation that as RI SW License holders we were assured a significant role in the regulator process. Currently out of state anglers can fish off a RI Charter Boat without even the need for a RI license. Yet we are going to let them take an extra fish out of our local waters?
    We should have a voice in the legislative process! I remember Dennis Zambrotta think I met him at a RISSA show once in the spring. He is a good guy and I agree.