When I was a kid we lived down the street from a lake and my parents used to take us ice skating during the winter months. I remember my father slowly stepping on the edge of the ice and painstakingly inching his way further and further out to make sure it was safe for us kids.

One year a neighbor took his two kids down to the same lake at the beginning of the season. His son was over excited about it and went running out on the ice. Unfortunately it was not safe and he fell through. With the help of some bystanders the dad was able to get his son out.

I ran across this article on the web and it reminded me of the above.

Mother, 2 girls rescued
from lake

Family rescued after failling into
Lake Ellis

Last Edited: Thursday, 25 Dec 2008, 8:38 AM EST
Created On: Thursday, 25 Dec 2008, 8:23 AM EST
ATHOL, Mass. (AP) - A mother and her two young children were rescued by firefighters after falling into Lake Ellis while ice fishing.

Lee Chauvette, a former Athol firefighter who lives on the lake, said he had just returned home to pick up something when he saw Sileng Lheureux and the two children go into the water. "I physically saw them when I got back to the top of the driveway...physically fall through the ice and the mother was in the ice up to her neck," said Chauvette.

Chauvette called authorities and stayed close until an ice rescue team arrived and pulled the trio to safety.All three were finally towed to safety, checked out at the hospital and released. home in time for a safe and warm Christmas Eve.