This was inspired by some new people I have run into in the last few days. Some have been glad to hear helpful advice, and I try to be as diplomatic as possible when I help someone.

Many people helped me along the way, and still do. I like to give back, it makes me feel like I'm helping the future of fishing as well.

This morning I might have bruised this guy's ego as I tried to help him to catch. We were fishin a featureless beach, and were in front of the sand bar, so there were no holes or cuts. Around 7am a guy got a keeper bass on an Ava with green tail.

He leaves, and the guy to my right, who hasn't been catchin, quickly makes his way to the spot where the bass was caught. 10 minutes later he hadn't caught anything, while a small number of others were getting bluefish. He seemed to grow more frustrated, and I felt bad for him. I approached him to try to say something between casts. We talked about the good action yesterday, and the fact it was slow today. I mentioned about how sometimes subtle retrieval differences can make a skunk day into a catching day.

He grew defensive:

"But I caught a LOT of fish yesterday, I really did!"

I could see that we as fishermen sometimes let our ego get in the way, as I explained that the way to catch, is to concentrate on what works for today.

I thought others would benefit from some of us here talking about how we change it up a bit if what we're doing isn't working.

Anyone can catch fish when it's hot and heavy and bait is moving down the coast in the wash. I'd like to talk about how you approach your fishing time when it's a slow pick.

Here's what I do:

I know how to catch fish too, but my ego will never get in the way of me catching for THAT day. It just doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes the great technique or plug you used yesterday will get you nothing but eau de skunk today. If you want to increase your catching, then learn to look at it objectively.

If there is one guy who is catching and for some reason others aren't, this is what I do:

Throw ego out the window.
Getting upset or stubborn does not solve the problem, and it is a problem. We solve problems by overcoming them with logic or acquiring new knowledge. So put your ego aside and be willing to at least look at those who are successful.

LOOK at what they're doing.
Is he retrieving faster or slower than you are?
Are they imparting a slight twitch or maneuver as they retrieve?
Is that maneuver regular, or sporadic?

Try to mimic the pattern.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm sure you have all heard that phrase. As long as you're not mugging the guy, copying what he is doing so you can catch fish is not unethical, is not against the law, and helps you solve your problem of not catching.
You can even compliment the other fisherman if you get a chance when neither of you is hooked up during a slow period. Open your ears and listen, ya just might learn something.

Decide on Plan B, C, or D
If you have your family with you, moving to another place is tough. So you have to make decisions within those parameters.
But maybe you should move, maybe the tide isn't right for that spot.

Learn to read the beach:
I'm fortunate to have many places to fish, and that I have fished from. Even so, they're constantly changing. If I don't do my "fishing homework" I feel I deserve to get blanked.
Try to arrive at the spot during low tide so you can read the beach. Sometimes it 's not important, like the place where I started fishin today. Other times, you're wasting your time if you don't place your offering in a strategic area. This is even more important when bait fishing, believe it or not.

I know there are some guys here who are good at adapting to changing conditions when they want to catch fish.

For the benefit of the newcomer, let's hear what you do to increase your chances when it's a slow pick.