How hard are you willing to work, to learn....

Here are some answers from me. A 49 year old newbie to striper fishing with lots of life experiences
about surf fishing? I started by asking lots of questions. Man I provided a lot of entertainment for a lot of people. But I learned. From what they said and what they didn't say. Learning to read between the lines and extract the little tidbits of wisdom that come with every experience. Also reading. I have read probably every thread on every forum I have joined. I've also read about 6 books thus far. I went with a group of hardcore surfcasters to Montauk this Fall. I think I slept about a total of 14 hours in 5 days. Where I live I have to drive an hour or more each way to get to the spots. I listen. I have been fortunate to have met a great group of guys who have cut years off my learning curve but that only happens if you can listen and then apply those words of wisdom to when you are actually fishing. I scouted spots during daylight by bugging out of work a few hours early. Even working plugs during the day so I would know what they swam like in the dark of the night. I keep a change of clothes and my gear in my truck....just in case. I also met a guy who I consider the most knowledgable fisherman anywhere and I have learned a great deal from him by not only fishing with him but also talking to him as much as possible

What does "Paying your dues, putting your time in" mean to you? As much as I have listened and read, there is no substitute for experience. We are fortunate to have technology that can help us find spots on the internet such as google earth and maps.live.com
Early on I identified some spots that I did not have access to but ended up being some of my favorite spots thus far. It means doing your research and scouting your spots and then working them. It means going to your local bait and tackle and asking questions. It means fishing in Nor'easters and also when you're sweating your a$$ off. It means fishing for hours on end even when you're not catching ( but you're still learning from that). And by the way, you never stop paying your dues or putting your time in. Yes it may get easier over time but you always have to work at it

How much effort will you put into it? Pretty much whatever it takes without sacrificing my family life to the point of no return

How much is too much? . I think there is a different answer for each person. For me I will go as hard as I can, whenever I can. My favorite words are "Enjoy the Journey". If you stop enjoying what you are doing then it's time to get out

How many times are you willing to get blanked to learn some hard but valuable lessons? No one wants to get skunked but the key is to not repeat the same mistakes. Pay attention, learn, and improve. Fishing is great...catching is the icing on the cake

How far are you willing to walk in one night? . I don't give up easily. I may not be able to walk as fast as some others but I will get there and won't stop 'til I do

How many times will you move to find the fish if the time and tide is right and they just ain't there? I am very stubborn and don't give up easily. I also trust my instincts. If I am sure the time and tide ( amongst other things ) are right then I am more likely to stay where I am and try different presentations such as varying distance on casts, types of retrieves, changing plugs or just changing the weight of a bucktail, etc.