All of my metals for the surf I like them to be 2-3 oz.The two I most often use are Hopkins and Kastmaster I feel they cover the bases.

Hopkins:Made of Stainless steel, virtually indestructive they come in 3 types the No=eql the shorty and the smoothie & they catch everything.I like the hammered finish & single dressed hook on these I think the hook up rate is better than the short treble they come with.I also like my fingers if I don't have to mess w/ a treble I won't.

Fishing them:I don't think you can fish these wrong.Cast them out let them drop and start your retrieve or bounce them across the bottom or you can even skip them across the top.They seem to have the same action regardless of the retrieve unless you are skipping it they will just rise up in the water column if the speed is faster.

Kastmaster:Made of brass very durable they have a crazy wobble or sway to them, these are better retrieved at a slower rate therefore mid to lower water column same thing cast out let them sink and start your retrieve.

Crippled herring and shad types: Basically the same retrieve style just keep it moving.Gotta tell you I have not had all that much success w/these if its a bluefish blitz you will catch, the schoolies seem to like them in the wash I feel they are better suited for jigging.

Diamond jigs:I do use the tube tails(green and white seem to work) if the sandeels are around I usually just cast hit bottom and kind of hop them across the bottom with pauses or just a very slow retrieve w/ twitches now and then.This is another lure I feel is better suited for sqidding or vertical jigging rips.

Deadly *****:These come in 3 styles also the standard(much like a kastmaster)The long casting (which is much skinnier and longer)and new to the lineup is the DD diamond jig(which is the std. w/a 6 sided edge put on it)the largest wt. is 1 oz. so from a jig standpoint or my view useless for what I do.

The best of the bunch is the long casting version especially in the smaller sizes for the albies(the retrieve is to smoke it fast for them) & the larger sizes are a good imitator for sandeels or worms.(fished much like the diamond jig but just a little off the bottom so it retains its wiggle.

These are a few of the basics like any other thing there is a ton of knockoffs.