Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
Take the trebel off and replace it with single hook teaser depending on the weight of the lure. I use 2 & 3 oz. so I replace them with usually 5/0 VMC or when the gorillas are around I'll even use a 6/0 you really can't hurt a metals action too much unlike other plugs which could be thrown off by larger hooks.
I just wanted to add a few thoughts to these posts. (btw great thread, Surfstix. )

When the big bluefish are around you don't want to spend a lot of time ripping treble hooks out of their mouths because you lose fishin time. That great action going on in front of you could be over in 5 minutes, or 5 hours.

Before going after the bigger blues the other day I swapped out some hooks for some larger ones. I know I could have used ones better suited for the metal size, but these were the ones I had handy at that moment and I had to get it done and get out there.

As the bigger blues leave, the ones I don't lose I'll swap out the hooks again for more average sized ones like the 5/0s Surfstix was talking about.

Just thought people might want to see a pic of metals that have been working. BTW yesterday, the Ava jig with white or green tube was crushing the blues at the 3rd spot we moved to, whereas at another spot it was all about a wider profile spoon or metal, like gator, kroc, or kastmaster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8284.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	10896

I have also been swapping out the cheap split rings with Wolverine HD split rings. All you have to do is lose one big fish due to a crappy split ring before you realize how important they are.