Monty, you're a great (and diplomatic) observer of people at their worst rudeness and inconsideration. You are so much more diplomatic than I am. I try, but when that doesn't work, I go back to my old ways...

The latest mugging story:

I was fishin a beach a few days ago. There was a slow pick of fish until the tide rose. It was crazy fishin for awhile. Then it slowed to a pick again, and gradually petered out.

Somewhere around 10:30am (I think that internet report naming a specific location was posted around 10am that day ) another 200 guys showed up. They showed up so quickly it was like they all came in on the same bus.

-One of them starts setting up behind me and the area I was fishin in.
-He hurriedly puts his 14', 3-piece rod together. He clips on a storm shad.
Everyone else on the beach was using metal.
-(here's where it's important to observe what other anglers are doing, folks. Storm shads are a great peanut bunker profile, when they're around. The dominant bait that morning was sandeels, and you could see some washed up on the beach)

-There was 15 feet between me and the guy to my left. The guy on the left was fishin with his buddies, kind of together. They were close friends to a well-known NJ fly tyer.

- There was a strong sweep in the ocean that day, meaning we all had to cast mindful of not getting snagged with the guy next to you. The mugger unceremoniously gets to the beach, squeezes in between us without so much as a nod of "what's up", glance, or any recognition. Bear in mind that the whole 2 mile stretch of beach was productive.

- After a few casts, I turn to him and say, "Hey pal, don't you think you're a little close, there's a big sweep out there, and hard to keep the casts straight."

- His answer: "Well you don't own the ocean, do you?!!"

- I tried to diplomatically explain the sweep again, and that we would get our lines crossed.

- His response: "I didn't see your name on this spot of sand."

- At that point I lost my diplomacy...
The guy next to us and his buddies had been having a few side conversations about our new mugger friend. He chimes in and says: " It's called courtesy and manners, guy"

Still, our mugger has no clue.

So, the diplomat that I am, said:
"I just want you to know, that when we get our lines tangled, and we will with us being so close together, that at that exact moment, I'll be cutting your line, and tossing your rig into the Atlantic. Just wanted to be clear about this, and you understand exactly how this will go down. Any problems with that?"

He looked at me like I was Charlie Manson's brother, got quiet, and moved over a bit....

He had the space to his left because the fly tyer's friends at that point had had enough and got ready to leave.

Later on at for the afternoon bite, I ran into the fly tyer's friends coming to the beach again. I apologized for my harsh words. Maybe I was a little too loud?

Nope, my new friend tells me.
He says:
"No way! Someone had to say something, we were just figuring out who was going to be the one to speak to that idiot! I'm glad you spoke up, it was funny as hell, needed to be done. I went and told BP about it, and we laughed for 5 minutes. Thanks!"

So I guess I brightened BP's day. Maybe one day I'll meet him in person, I heard he ties great flies.

Moral of the story:
Don't be this guy....
(I'm posting a pic of him as he runs back to the sand to unhook a short fluke he caught on the shad.) The beach is a public area. We all need to share the space. If I run into this guy again, doing the same thing, I'll be glad to share the face pic under my First Amendment rights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0740.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12447

I don't think it's important who he is. I think the important thing is when you get to the beach, look at what others are doing, be respectful, and try not to crowd people. There's plenty of beach to fish from, and even blitzing fish will eventually move down your way.

And I can't stress how important being courteous is. A "Hello" or nod of the head goes a long way.

I'm not apt to get into conversations with strangers when I'm fishin. Even my close friends, when the bite is on, we don't talk much, it's all about the fishin. But for Pete's sake, remember that a little courtesy goes a long way.

I try to help people whenever I can, especially the newbies to surf fishing. I've helped hundreds over the years, and would give someone the shirt off my back if they needed it more than I.

But rudeness shouldn't be tolerated. The place to deal with it is then and there. If more people spoke up at the time things were happening instead of only ranting on the internet, maybe some people would get the education they need.

And then again, maybe not.