Dark and myself teamed up on the Island Current. We fished the Block Island area with the trip from Snug Harbor, RI, to the grounds taking about ninety minutes. First couplle of drops were slow....Rich and I were smelling the skunk. About 4:30 am, five hours into the trip, we beagn a pick of fish. The scene was incredible with Six or so party boats pushing into an area of a football field. It was a clam bite, with some good natured ribbing being tossed back and forth between the boats (The IC, Celtic Quest, both Vikings, the HelenH and several smaller boats. Rich studied the techniques of one or two guys who were catching on the other boats; it was a deadstick clam bite. We picked away, looking forward to the dawn in a couple of hours when we figured the bite would turn on. The IC moved for about 30 minutes as the sun rose....nothing. After an hour, the cod started chewing BIG TIME. Lock and load fishing for about two hours. Rich and I boated about 45-50 fish with Dark using his infamous two at a time cod technique. It was a riot, one of the best trips I've been on, even with the boats being railed.

The crew, led by Captain James was helpful and professional, under the most trying of circumstances (railed boat). Thanks to Captain Chris for getting us on to a sold out boat; that's right, we knew ahead of time.

Finally, fsihing with Rich is just a great experience, he goes out of his way to help less fortunate fisherman and is just generally a friendly guy. One gentleman, three weeks out of major heart surgery, was ready to adopt Rich!

So that's it guys. Nows the time. Expect crowds but don't be intimidated by them. Now is the time. And just a reminder, throw some of these fish back. This is a great fishery that is under some stress. Let's use this resource wisely.

Mick