Came back from Montauk yesterday, most of the people were cool. But on another forum, I saw this thread, and I can't tell you how many times I have seen this attitude.

Don't suppose there is much that can be done about it, but maybe that person will one day see themselves on a thread like this, and recognize they are the one with the problem.

Basically, a "sharpie" talked disrespectfully to a father in front of his boy becasue the father and son didn't have the "right" equipment, and the father was asking the sharpie for advice.

I C&P this from another site, hope its ok, Joe:

Just want to comment on my last few trips out to the point. I consider my self a seasoned fisherman. I have been fishing allover Long Island for a good 35 years. I have been fishing at the point regularly for several years now. I have been totally blown away by the attitudes of many of the seasoned fishermen out there. They act like they own the place and know one but them deserve to fish out there. A person can not even say hello without getting a dirty look or a comment. It seems that if you do not own a Van Staal reel and a custom rod you don’t deserve to be their. I would be willing to bet that most of you started out with a Wal-Mart special. How soon you forget that you were a rookie once. Instead of giving someone some advice you rather comment about how they don’t know what they are doing or they got junk equipment. As I sat there waiting for the fish to come in, I over heard a conversation between an advanced fisherman and what I would say an intermediate fishermen and his son. The less experienced man asked the more experienced fishermen a question. Instead of answering the man’s question he turned around right in front of that man and his son and said what you expect when you use junk. I guess this makes you feel better about your self. To be honest that kid landed more fish then that guy did. I’m sure when you all first started out you got advice for someone that knew more then you. Maybe if you help some of the novices they could become better fishermen quicker and then they would not be in your way.

There are plenty of fish to go around. You guys should all get a grip.