Thread: NJ small business spotlight March 2009 Fred's B&T S Amboy

Default NJ small business spotlight March 2009 Fred's B&T S Amboy

Hey guys I'll be doing the B&T spotlights from now on. Trying to follow Joe's format, but putting my own spin on it.

Fred's Bait and Tackle

2001 Rt 35, South Amboy, NJ 08879
    Exit 11 off Turnpike, Exit 123 off Parkway

Hours: 7am - 7pm 7 days a week. (May 1st to Labor Day, abbreviated schedule outside of these dates)

Background:
    Owned & operated by "Kash". When you go there you'll find some other cool people behind the counter: Billy "Capt Bill" who lives to fish and has been there for 7 years, Glenn, and a few other characters.

Details:

52 years in business, he's owned for 28 yrs. Kash is a funny guy. I heard him talking on the phone when I was waitin to see him. He jokes around with everyone and loves to bust balls.

What he stocks:

The same stuff you can get in any tackle shop, dozens of rods, many different reels, plugs, gear, nets, gaffs, terminal tackle, sinkers, crab traps, beach carts with the big wheels. Kash also said they fix reels.

Business Edge:
    Whatever you need to catch fish! Everything for the fisherman! You name it we have it, or we can get it for you!

Fresh Bait all the time!

For any small businesses out there that want to be included in our "Small Business of the Month" promos, contact us at www.stripersandanglers.com for details.

Map:

Directions:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-19-09 001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	6283

Kash with Glenn and Capt Billy. I asked Capt Billy about Kash, who he has been working for for 7 years. He said "We all have a good time in here. There's not one person out there who can say something negative about Kash. We all bust balls and have a great time! Sometimes the BS'n here gets so thick you gotta wear boots!"

Name:	3-19-09 021.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	6284

Name:	3-19-09 004.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	6285

Name:	3-19-09 005.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	6286

Name:	3-19-09 002.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	6287

Name:	3-19-09 007.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	6288

Capt Billy's got tons of stories, been fishin all his life. He remembers stuff like the boat Ambrose and the way things used to be 50 years ago. The man has years of history around the water that he could talk about.

Kash is pretty friendly. He knows 7 languages well enough to communicate with all his customers. Special needs and handicapped customers are gladly welcomed as well. He told me a story of an older handicapped gentleman who drove to his store one time in his handicapped accessible van. The guy was puting a large amount of purchases on the counter, and Kash was worried that the man wouldbe spending too much of a limited income, so he tried to caution him.

The customer said to him: "Listen, Kash, I'm handicapped, but at least I can fish. I will spend my money and enjoy myself out there. It's a lot better than sitting home!"

So it's safe to say that Kash and his crew have a camraderie with their customers, and consider them family.

Name:	3-19-09 008.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	6289

Anyone remember the old Ambrose? Capt Billy does!

Name:	3-19-09 010.jpg 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	6290

Bucktail Bonanza!

Name:	3-19-09 011.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	6291

Tackle boxes, bags, surf carts

Name:	3-19-09 014.jpg 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	6292

Name:	3-19-09 016.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	6293

Chesapeake Bay style crab traps

Name:	3-19-09 015.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	6294

Kash hamming it up a bit.

Name:	3-19-09 017.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	6295

Name:	3-19-09 013.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	6296

Store hours

Name:	3-19-09 024.jpg 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	6298

Kash invites everyone to come and visit him, and leave your troubles at home. You can ball bust the guys all you want, and they'll give it right back to you.

I asked Kash if he wasn't tired of doing this after 28 years. Any job could get tiring after that long. He said:

"I look forward to it every morning. I see friends coming in. They share their fish stories, and life's stories. I get to see pics of their fish, their children, and their grandchildren. I am blessed to be able to do that!
    Where else can you see a plumber, congressman, businessman, young and older kids, white and blue collar workers, all coming into one place to talk about fishing and share the experience? "

Kash, I hope some people think of you when they are drivin down to fish the Raritan or even the ocean, and pick up the bait, and other little items they might need. Every tackle shop that goes out of business is a loss in terms of the old-time memories that will be gone forever with that shop.

It was nice to meet ya's, Kash and crew.

Kash had one last message for a long-time customer of his who just joined this site, Tommy from Essex. Tommy's a die-hard fisherman who has been fishin all his time off from work for the past few weeks, but Kash says he's too busy to come in and say hi (even though Tommy's the one that said Kash could use some promotion)

So Tommy, get your azz in that shop and stop by to see Kash! He misses seeing you around, he misses his friend.

I enjoyed reading that Dark, very colorful.

Default What a place? All your fishing needs.

Dark , Got to recommend you. Beautiful work well done.Nice to have met you. And especially having you as a fishing buddy. Great fishing last night !! Mine brother from another mother.

dark sucks he's a poser cant even catch any fish i think hes blind or needs a seeing eye dog:

Thanks for the head's up about Fred's. I'm going to head out that way this weekend so I'll stop in and support his B&T.

W4F you better watch who you call a poser, Dark lurks at night!

Rich, if you still have my number give me a call as soon as possible. I would like to run something by you involving me being free from work Saturday and Sunday and a possible fishing outing involving a mutual friend lol... hit me up.... if you dont have the # send me an email at americanpridebt@gmail.com ... it goes straight to my phone