Thread: Frustration or that's just the way it goes?

Hybrid View

Do you keep a log, surfwalker? I do, and it helps 90% of the time. However, I think what you are getting at is a change in patterns. I have seen that too. When that happens I put plan b, c or d into action. It pays to have a few different options and be willing to travel a bit. Some days I make the run all the way from LBI to Sandy Hook. I don't know how old you are, but in my case, it helps to be retired to cover ground like that. It is great to be able to do it on a weekday when there are mostly us old folks around. I enjoy your reports and your thought process. I hope you are not ready to hang up your waders yet.

CC- I started documenting about 22 years ago. Like you my options are always open. I may have slowed down a little, but will never stop.

Happy Trails

SW, you seem like you have been fishing a long time, so you know the drill. I agree with your plight. It is always more encouraging when you feel you have a chance at catching fish, that is what keeps me coming back. To me, bait in the water = the possibility of catching. I'll play devil's advocate and ask you---what if you caught fish every single time you went out, and never had a slow day or night? Wouldn't you get bored? I know I would.

albie- I'd definetly be bored. The whole game to me is catching on what I want to throw, the deciet and hook up, the satisfaction. My frustrations are few and far between, but they do come sometimes. You hit it on the head- "the possibility of catching". Thanks for your post.

Happy Trails

Two great points that I feel the same about in those posts.
    Its tougher catching one fish than a day you catch 20 fish.
    And I feel so much more satisfaction catching fish on a metal lip swimmer than a pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate and ask you---what if you caught fish every single time you went out, and never had a slow day or night? Wouldn't you get bored? I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    The whole game to me is catching on what I want to throw, the deciet and hook up, the satisfaction.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Two great points that I feel the same about in those posts.
    Its tougher catching one fish than a day you catch 20 fish.
    And I feel so much more satisfaction catching fish on a metal lip swimmer than a pencil.
    What he said, because when you try several different spots and only come up with one fish, you know you worked for it!

If your angry it just decreases your chances even more and you don't think straight so either go home or take a break because all the frustration goes from your head to your hands and then to your rod and plug and it all adds up to more frustration take the good w/ the bad the fish aren't always going to be there.I believe thats why they say its "fishing not catching.

I think it is better to see bait than no bait. It adds to the excitement. Of course I like to catch fish but I just like being out there. So if I go home empty handed it is still ok with me.

I just like being out there as well. A lot of times I don't catch, that's the way it goes. This morning I had 10 minutes to get it together and catch fish, they were gone in 10, or maybe 15. Whatever it was ,it was quick. So I casted, caught a fish, released, and caught another one. It was great, it definitely made my day. Without that I was just casting and casting, like I usually do, with no result, or only cocktail blues.

I get frustrated a lot. The biggest things that add to that is when I want to fish and minor details have to be taken care of first. So you miss the bite, or most of the tide you were looking forward to fishing. The thing that keeps me going is remembering a time when things were perfect and everything lined up. That snapshot in my head helps me get through the slow periods. Also, when I'm throwing a plug or presentation I believe in, I expect to catch a fish on that plug, so my awareness is more intense.