Thread: Long Branch...back in time

Threaded View

Default Fishing with the Old-timers

As told by Finchaser:

Words of wisdom from old timers:

"I am who I am in the fishing world today because of Charlie"

"He was an older Polish guy who took a liking to me. He would pick me up every Fri after he got out of work, and take me fishing. I fished with him from when I was 12 years old until the day he died.

I learned a lot from him. One time I was trying like heck to catch whiting, while he was getting them on every 2nd or 3rd cast.

After seeing how frustrated I was, he finally explained his technique."

"It's the little things that get 10% of fishermen 90% of the fish"

He was tapping the line with his finger, ever so slightly, as he reeled in. This extra movement was what was needed to get the whiting to hit his bait more often than anyone else's. That guy could catch fish after fish!

About Charlie:
    He lived in Garfield, and installed non-skid strips on the stairs in schools for a living. His wife made great Polish food, which he brought to the pier and shared with me. Everybody loved him down there.

One of his favorite sayings was "Yak sie chojesz?" pronounced "Yach-she-mash" which means "How are you doing?"

He referred to me as "The Kid". Everybody saw us together so much, they thought I was his son. My Dad Angelo used to fish with us sometimes as well. We all had great times together.
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 12-24-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added Polish translation