Thread: Some stuff from my work bench

Default Some stuff from my work bench

Some of you have seen my stuff some have not. i figure i would show some stuff i have done recently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pluggage.jpg   pluggage1.jpg  

pluggage2.jpg  

Wow sweet work! How much do they weigh?

Jackbass, awesome plugs.

I'm going to try some handcarves after the holidays. I will post them in steps. I got some Maple would stock. I just got to come up with a plan.

Default Look great

Very nice Jackbass. The scaling came out great.

Very clean looking plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Wow sweet work! How much do they weigh?
    I don'treally know some where over 2.5oz. I really don't weigh them. I just toss em into the drink.

They look great. Of course my favorite is the pink one.

beautiful work dude, how long you been making plugs?

Looks like any bass would love to attack them. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    beautiful work dude, how long you been making plugs?

I started building last winter. I made 20 plugs last year total. I made thirty of those already and a dozen peanuts. I will be making more of those and more peanuts and then I will start working on new stuff. It is a lot of fun.

Jackbass, for someone who just started getting into it, you're doing a great job.

I'm curious as to the learning curve when you started putting in weights and getting them to swim. Can you tell us a little about that? How does that help the whole process?

Also, weight placement is critical. Do it wrong and the plug never swims right. Who were some of your influences, and how did you learn to do that the right way?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Jackbass, for someone who just started getting into it, you're doing a great job.
    Thanks I appreciate the compliment.

I'm curious as to the learning curve when you started putting in weights and getting them to swim. Can you tell us a little about that? How does that help the whole process?
    When I started building there was definitely a learning curve. If you start with one plug and get that body style down and understand how the weight and lip relate to the action of the body it helps you greatly when you start to venture into other plug designs. The first plugs i made were dannys and I had a ton of help through a tutorial on another site. The guy basically took you through the building process step by step amd that made it much easier to build my own stuff.

Also, weight placement is critical. Do it wrong and the plug never swims right. Who were some of your influences, and how did you learn to do that the right way?
    I don't know if you ever perfect weighting. I have made some duds that is for sure. You just come up with things you like weight them and test. If a lip doesn't grab, the weight may need to be moved further toward the front of the plug. Driving the nose in more. Much of how plugs swim has to do with where it is through drilled The shape of the head and the lip.

Influences

I have been influenced by guys from my club (Gunny, Rickski) and others from another site I frequent (Roccus, Ed, JImii4290) There are a ton of small builders that build for hobby that do as good if not a better job with lures than many of your commercial builders.

Jackbass, I am just learning a lot of this stuff, so please excuse if I sound stupid. They are called metallip swimmers, right? Awesome work!

Yes they have all different names for them (danny's, pikies, goo goo eyes, surfsters, so on and so forth) I generally calll anything I do a metal lipped swipper. Then call it something based on the body slope head, peanut, danny etc.

Sweet!

nice work, good luck, one day I am going to be that good

Great looking plugs keep up the good work.