WTG on the persistence, Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
Nothing in the dark. First light-one short on a popper. Getting too crowded for me.
Surfwalker, talked to one guy last night who had 2 short bass on artificials, he confirmed those first light comments. It seems to me there's a point to that as well. People have been catching fish in the dark on artificials, but after a lot of effort.

It seems for now the first light bite is a better than the night bite, unless you're fly fishing grass shrimp patterns at night. I try to reason things like this in my head all the time, talked with Jim Cousins at Giglio's this morning to get his take on it.

There is bait galore in the back bays, rivers, and some ocean inlet areas at night. We were saying that there might even be too much bait at times. The times I've been getting fish are when the bait becomes more sparse and thins out a bit. That's what seems to work for me. Maybe others have different experiences.

I fished last night last hour of the flood, first hour of the ebb. Late tides. 1 short bass and small bluefish on small plastic swimmers. Both fish on the incoming. There were bass all over popping on grass shrimp for awhile. The bite seemed slow, even for the bait guys. (Yet I did get a pic of a guy who got a 21 last night, slack tide, bunker head)