Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
WTG on the persistence, Monty!

Surfwalker, talked to one guy last night who had 2 short bass on artificials, he confirmed those first light comments. It seems to me there's a point to that as well. People have been catching fish in the dark on artificials, but after a lot of effort.
Some people know what it is to be persistent. Surfalker and Monty do, they won't give up, if they feel the time and tide is right, until they nail a fish.

The quote above talks about a conversation I had with a young kid last night. He's in his early 20's, if that. But he's compulsive about fishing. It was late and there weren't many people around where we were fishin.

He was talking about his friends, and the fact that if they come down and don't catch a fish in 5 mins they want to go home. He said he has no use or interest in fishin with people like that, and I kind of felt the same way.

If you go out there and fish a blitz, it's great for your ego because you can do well.

How about when the moon is full and bright?
How about when the fish are popping on shrimp, cinder worms, or small bait?
Willl you still try to catch fish, or will you give up and go home?
Will you change all your presentations, incorporating different teasers and presentations that work different levels of the water column, until you find the one thing that fish will hit?

And...
when you find that one thing, will you be flexible enough to change that presentation as soon as some different bait comes by, or you sense that it's less effective?

Sometimes people are envious of people who catch a lot of fish. This kid and I talked about mutual spots we like to fish when no one else is around. Some of em ain't easy to get to or involve some sort of risk. Yet we know the rewards, and have reaped them.

Even so, the reward doesn't always happen, the time, tide, bait, current, and weather have to be just right. If it doesn't work at that night, instead of getting bummed, you have to suck it up and move to another place. And start working that one just as hard.

The next time you meet a guy who tells you he had a double digit night, ask yourself if you would be willing to put the time in, that he's putting in, in all kinds of weather.

It goes back to the old concept I've mentioned a few times here...

Wanting to fish
VS
Needing to fish.