Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

Default Why letter writing isn't always effective...

There are some internet sites out there now where the members are urging other members to write letters, and the belief that this will get some results.

First of all, let me say I applaud those guys who took the initiative to think of that. They're actually trying to effect a positive change instead of just ranting on the internet.

However, there are times when letter writing campaigns and e-mails are just not effective. I believe the politicians have gotten smart about the increased e-mail volume, and are now responding with "template responses" without even reading the context of the letters that are being sent to them.

The post below is a small illustration of this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...wreply&p=29288

That's why I feel we need to put more support into fishermen PACs like the RFA and others. We need some muscle behind our words and sentiments. The PACS are in a position to achieve results, and they will not tolerate being ignored by politicians

Default Some dollar and sense estimates...

Here's a post I put up on another site, I think it helps to put things into perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I have some tentative numbers for you guys to help put it into perspective...

(please be aware that all these numbers are mere estimates to help people understand the magnitude. Some assumptions were made in these calculations and I'm not looking for anyone to take these as Gospel. Do your own research and learn about this. Anyone who has more accurate numbers is welcome to post theirs, and I will be glad to edit mine)

It was reported that in the last few days, approx 31 million lbs of bunker were netted.

That's 31 million pounds.

Just for the sake of argument, assume that each bunker boat (there were 8) split the take, each bunker weighed 1lb, and the netters were paid .05c/lb for each bunker. Again, I know I'm simplifying this and there may be inaccuracies in these calculations. I'm just trying to illustrate a point....

31million x .05c/lb = approx $1.55 million in value at the wholesale level.
    If you distribute this "total" among the approx 8 boats, that gives them gross revenue of approx $187k/vessel, all for a few day's work.

Again, even if these numbers are not completely accurate, consider their cost of doing business in the state of NJ

1. Cost for bunker permit for each boat, $70-500/boat, according to statute.
    2. Cost of fuel to come down to NJ.
    3. Cost of labor and lodging for crewmates.
    4. Cost of spotter planes.

Probably less than $100 k for all those out of state boats to be here, and less than $5600 in permit fees to the state of NJ.

So...
    for the measly price of less than $5600 in yearly permit fees,,, (for all of the 8 boats)
    these boats get carte blanche to take as many bunker as they can, with as many visits as they can manage, to NJ.

Meanwhile, we as a state:
    1. Lose revenue from fishermen who aren't fishing, as there are now less striped bass, with less bunker around.
    2. The bass don't have a reason to stick around, and many are now North of us, so we have an opportunity loss there.
    3. Loss of revenue - to marinas, gas stations, delis, tackle shops, charter captains, who will make a percentage less this year than they did last year...

All because we allow other states to come in and net our bunker.

As I said, some may find fault with some of the points I made here. I threw this together in a hurry, I'm not claiming 100% accuracy.

However, I do claim that not having these bunker for our NJ recreational fishermen represents a huge economic loss to many ancillary parties.

That's the part I would like you fishermen and fisherwomen to key in on, and the part where you should be mad as hell.

Default Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

bunker boats:
    Where are they netting?
    Who are they?
    Where do they come from?
    Who are they affiliated with?
    Who do they sell their catch to?
    Do they operate under any restrictions?

These and all related questions are acceptable topics for this thread.

Feel free to post up all observations of bunker boats you see on a daily basis, here.

Default Disclaimer

I want to state at the outset that these guys are all allowed to do what they're doing.

They all have the appropriate permits, which they've paid the state of NJ anywhere from $20-$700 for unlimited access to our bunker.

They aren't breaking any laws.

No matter how strongly your feelings may be against them and the netting they do, remember they have followed the regulations, and are permitted to to this by our elected officials and bureaucrats.

This thread is merely an attempt to document their whereabouts.

We have a constitutional right to know who from out of state is coming into our state, netting our fish, and sending them to other places.

We have a constitutional right to know who's being greedy and scooping up every last bunker, so our NJ fishermen have nothing left to fish for when the bass leave as there no bunker to hold them.

I shot some footage today.

Nothing spectacular, just a bunker boat going about it's business.

I think we have a right to know who are these guys in our waters.

Feel free to post up anything on this topic, pics, catch estimates, videos, any official communications regarding these netters, etc. Boat names, owners, corporate ownership (if any) would all be great info to post up, if you have access to it.

I don't feel the proposed legislation will stop the out of state netters who are already coming in. I came up with the idea for this thread to raise public awareness when we get to the next level, next year. People will begin to undertand the current proposed legislation has too many loopholes and doesn't give us the protections they think it will.

I'll post the videos, and some more pics, as I get a chance.

Thanks for any help you guys can give to keep this going.

after talking to the guys i see and talk to on a daily basis here is what I know.

A lot of the bunker boats invading us right now are not even from our area. The belford pirates and other local boats are doing thier normal thing. Some from down south have gone a bit crazy. However further north meaning north of NY they have been closed down to being able to fish for herring as a means of bait fish and other needs such as cat food and stuff. So, those boats instead of tying up and not making money have been making the trip down here. They stay for a few days netting all kinds of bunker and then head back north. They unload and plan another trip back here. It is true that in their catches they are netting any fish that are feeding on the bunker and not releasing them properly.

So, here in NJ we now have almost double the amount of bunker boats than we are used to. Who is governing them is beyond me. But there are captains getting together to find out why this is happening and how it can be governed. They are ticked off about it because it is killing the fishery and will leave us with nothing to fish for in the coming years. They know it has to be stopped and are working on a plan to try and make it happen.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Default Bunker boat report 6-7-10, and Letter to legislators and representatives

Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!

Update: Monday - June 7, 2010 - 2pm - Manasquan, NJ - Just got off the phone with Capt. Gene from Shore Catch. As I type this there are 7 commercial netters from Gloucester, MA and Cape May, NJ netting on every bunker school their little plane can find. Sorry guys if we can't find any more bait to fish with. If you care you can print & sign the below letter which is in circulation thanks to The Greater United Charter Boat Fleet of New Jersey. Mail it to the politician(s) of your choice. Since it's only a template you can modify to your liking. Very sad if our bass fishing is over because of commercial bunker netting.

June 7, 2010

Governor Chris Christie
    Office of the Governor
    PO Box 001
    Trenton, NJ 08625-001

Senator Frank Lautenberg
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Suite 324
    Washington, DC 20510

Senator Jeff Van Drew
    21 North Main Street
    Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Senator Robert Menendez
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Suite 528
    Washington, DC 20510

Director David Chanda
    N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
    P.O. Box 400
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr.
    504 Broadway
    Long Branch, NJ 07740

Senator Bob Smith
    216 Stelton Road
    Suite E-5
    Piscataway, NJ 08854

Re: Support For Senator Jeff Van Drew, Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140
    Menhaden Purse Seining Regulations & Compliance
    Request for Termination of Menhaden Commercial Netting
    State of New Jersey Coastal Waters By New Jersey Taxpayers

Dear Elected Officials:

I am writing in support of the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 currently being sponsored in the Assembly by Mathew Milam, Nelson Albano, Celeste Riley and in the Senate by Jeff Van Drew and Robert Smith.

I am also writing to each of you to place you on notice of the out of control and unregulated commercial purse seining and netting of Menhaden currently being conducted in New Jersey coastal waters, specifically off Ocean and Monmouth counties. Out of state vessels, ships, trucking companies supported by planes and helicopters are netting thousands of tons of Menhaden from New Jersey state waters daily. In just 2 weeks they have wiped out miles upon miles of Menhaden. Our ecosystem cannot support this level of netting. Indiscriminate killing and by catch may include right whales, striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, turtles and dolphins. We have been subject to constant harassment from low flying spotter planes and total disregard by reckless netting activities. The public is outraged and the media has been contacted.

As a local recreational fishermen, taxpayer and voter I am personal witness to the devastation caused by these vessels and the negative effects it has on New Jersey recreational fishing, local economies and water quality. I am asking you all to immediately suspend and eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden in NJ state waters pending an environmental and ecological study. The amount of Menhaden being netted is unregulated and cannot be sustained and will be exhausted by these purse seiners. They are very efficient with their spotter planes, helicopters, 1/5 mile nets, vacuums, transport ships and dozens of 70-90 foot vessels all while being non discriminatory. This occurs Monday-Friday, sun up to sun down. I really question what the state of New Jersey gets out of this? The state permit fee of $200 is minimal but consequences on recreational fishing and water quality are tremendous. New Jersey is allowing out of state vessels, out of state trucking companies, out of state payrolls yielding poor recreational fishing and millions of dollars in lost sales tax revenue from anglers not spending money on motels, restaurants, fuel, tackle, bait, boat purchases, registration fees, food, recreational fishing charters, tolls, insurance, boat maintenance, etc while sacrificing the water quality for the state of New Jersey (Menhaden are huge filter feeders of algae and plankton which is now spiking due to high nitrogen levels from fertilizer run off, also a separate DEP issue). This is a violation of every citizens and anglers rights fishing New Jersey coastal waters.

The issue needs to be addressed ASAP before our waters suffer the same consequences of the Chesapeake Bay. Does the state even know or care where the hundreds of thousands of tons of Menhaden are trucked to or what they are used for? We are told for bait only but no one can be sure of this. Possibly being delivered to Corporations for processing? A single Corporation located in Virginia operates 41 company-owned fishing vessels and 32 spotter planes for use in their fishing operations. Spotter planes are used to locate schools of fish and then directing the ships for the final catch with a purse seine net. Does the state care that out of state businesses are profiting from our resources at our expense on so many levels? The State of New Jersey including the citizens are getting ripped off in many ways, plain and simple. Once these vessels deplete our waters they simply move on to another while our Ocean resembles a desert. How can you as our elected officials allow this to occur? Who is profiting from the depletion of our resources and what gives these out of state netters rights to our resources which are owned by us the taxpayers and voters of New Jersey? State resources are not owned by elected officials or by a consortium of unregulated out of state netters. We elected you to office to represent our interests. That clearly is not being done on this issue.

As you can tell the anglers of New Jersey oppose the current management of the Menhaden fishery and the state needs to eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden now, not next year or next month. Please support and pass the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 ASAP.

The state is also now contemplating the requirement that recreational saltwater fishermen register and we all anticipate a saltwater license requirement and fee in 2011 or 2012. This will be an insult to us based on the above management policies. As a neighboring state governor has stated, the American public has a right to fish. You can expect stern and collective opposition from the hundreds of thousands NJ saltwater anglers, voters and related sport fishing industries if something is not done to protect New Jersey marine resources ASAP. Specifically, Menhaden which is a staple food source for many migratory game fish of New Jersey while also filtering and purifying millions of gallons of seawater daily.

I also support the Reef Pot Bill and the elimination of all Gill Netting in New Jersey coastal waters which has resulted in the total collapse of our Weakfish population.

Thank you for your consideration. Please address our concerns and represent our interests as taxpayers, anglers and voters living and fishing in the State of NJ. You have a responsibility to protect our state resources for the greater interests of the public, not special interests and need to act now in support of Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140.

Sincerely,

Cc: Fox5 News
    WKXW 101.5 FM

Done

Very interesting.

We saw them the last time we were out. Didn't think of taking pics though, we were too busy calling them every name in the book. There wasn't one pod of bunker left when they were done. Dark I know you said they have permits and are legal, but there were a few times when they were right among us and were pretty close. I guess there are no regs that say how close they can come to other fishermen? I hate those guys.

Default Bunker boat regulations and restrictions

Bababooey, here are some of the regs as originally posted by Voyager. I didn't read anything in there about how close they can be to other boats.
    It does give us some interesting parameters, though:

1. They cannot be closer than 0.6 miles to shore. (That does present some difficulty in areas like Raritan Bay where the shoreline is irregular)

2. They cannot net on Saturdays, Sundays or Holidays.

3. They can net unlimited amounts of bunker, all for a yearly permit fee of between $20-700. Not a bad deal, huh?
    That means that's the maximum revenue the state of NJ can get from these guys.

4. Daily Notification:
    "Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
    notify the Division’s Marine Enforcement Unit (609-748-2050) on a daily basis of the identity of the vessel, the intended fishing locations of the
    vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. "
    If anyone is interested in stopping these guys, especially the out of staters, maybe you might want to call the NJ MEU (609-748-2050) and see if they are in fact calling in every day. It seems like a minor point, but they're required to do this by law. I'm guessing that not every one of them does this on every trip out. I could be wrong, and if so I apologize. Sometimes minor violations in areas like this are the only defense we have to reach out of state netters who haven't complied.

Just my thoughts for anyone out there who is so motivated.

Here ya go, and thanks to Voyager for posting them:

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post

SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR FISH MEAL REDUCTION
    The taking of Atlantic menhaden by any means for the purpose of fish meal reduction is prohibited.
    SHIRRED OR PURSE SEINES FOR MENHADEN FOR BAIT

SEASON:

January 1 to December 31.

AREA:

Atlantic Ocean - between 0.6 and 3 nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay - not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Delaware Bay - that portion of Delaware Bay south and east of LORAN C line 42850 not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers.

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

Applicants must apply for a bait permit between January 1 and March 1 in every calendar year. No applications shall

be accepted after March 1 in any calendar year. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

of fish from purse seine shall be by brailing or dip netting only. Fish pumps are prohibited aboard harvest vessels permitted to purse seine menhaden

for bait. All fishing and related activities may not occur any closer to the shore, jetties or piers than 0.6 nautical miles in the Atlantic Ocean,

Delaware Bay and Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. No fishing permitted between sunset and sunrise. No fishing permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or

any holiday officially observed by the State of New Jersey (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's

Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and

Christmas Day). No stakes, markers, buoys, crab pots, lobster pots, fish pots, or staked shellfish grounds shall be disturbed by the act of fishing.

Possession of any fish other than menhaden is prohibited.

Any vessel engaged in fishing for Atlantic menhaden for bait must obtain a bait permit and shall display, on both sides of the vessel amidships, a

yellow capital letter "B" not less than five feet in height on a black square background not less that six feet on a side, or as otherwise specified in the

regulation. In all cases, however, each side of the black background shall be no less that three-quarters of the height of the gunwale at amidships
    from the waterline.
    A permit suspension/revocation schedule exists for violation of authorized fishing areas. Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
    notify the Division’s Marine Enforcement Unit (609-748-2050) on a daily basis of the identity of the vessel, the intended fishing locations of the
    vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. All persons licensed to take Atlantic menhaden for bait
    purposes only shall keep and submit accurate records of the amount and location of Atlantic menhaden harvested.

FEE:

Based upon gross tonnage - range $20-$700

I did it too.

Default Bunker boats threatening sportfishermen

Bunker boats threatening sportfishermen

Published: Friday, June 11, 2010, 8:07 PM Updated: Friday, June 11, 2010, 9:32 PM

Al Ristori

Purse seiners licensed as "bait boats" have not only been wiping out millions of pounds of bunkers that are a critical factor in holding large stripers in our area, but they're now so intent on wiping out every school that those boats are trying to run sportfishing boats out of their way. Capt. Mike Copeman of the Renegade from Point Pleasant said he was threatened by a Gloucester seiner Wednesday afternoon. The crew of that boat threatened to sink him, and Copeman called the State Police to complain. In the past, bait boats (aided by spotter planes) found their own bunker schools, and stayed away from the recreational fleet. Unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the case. Anglers in the Manasquan area are up in arms, and a petition opposing their actions is being circulated.

A bill was approved in a Senate committee recently that would only allow bait boats that have been fishing in state waters for some time to receive licenses. That would halt the movement of New England herring boats into the bunker fishery after severe restrictions were placed on herring due to the overfishing by that fleet. Yet, the bill will do nothing to stop the decimation of local bunker stocks by the present bait boat fleet. The only solution is to put them outside state waters(three miles), just as was done with the reduction boat fleet several years ago. Almost all of the bait boats come from out-of-state, and contribute little to the state's economy.

Dark and others, you guys are right on the $$ with your comments. Bunker boats have to go!
    Now they are threatening charter captains!

I copied and pasted the letter, sent it to Gov Christie, please do it guys if you get a chance, it only takes a minute.

sink all the bunker boats, someone shud go at nite and drill holes below the water they are like the belford pirates they net everything and think of all the bass they kill

wish4fish, you are better off taking the letter they have here, copying it, and sending it to one of the people on the list. I did that and am suggesting for all you folks out there who are aggravated to do the same. Violence or vandalism never solves anything.

i know just kidding lol they are all over tho, and i m sick of hearing about them, i hope next year is different

Default The law

This came from finchasers thread on 4 miles of dead bass -

The taking of Atlantic menhaden by any means for the purpose of fish meal reduction is prohibited.

SEASON:

January 1 to December 31.

AREA:

Atlantic Ocean - between 0.6 and 3 nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook Bay - not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers; Delaware Bay - that portion of Delaware Bay south and east of LORAN C line 42850 not closer than 0.6

nautical miles from shore, jetties or piers.

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

SPECIAL RESTRICTION:

Applicants must apply for a bait permit between January 1 and March 1 in every calendar year. No applications shall

be accepted after March 1 in any calendar year. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

of fish from purse seine shall be by brailing or dip netting only. Fish pumps are prohibited aboard harvest vessels permitted to purse seine menhaden

for bait. All fishing and related activities may not occur any closer to the shore, jetties or piers than 0.6 nautical miles in the Atlantic Ocean,
    Delaware Bay and Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. No fishing permitted between sunset and sunrise. No fishing permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or
    any holiday officially observed by the State of New Jersey (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's

Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and

Christmas Day). No stakes, markers, buoys, crab pots, lobster pots, fish pots, or staked shellfish grounds shall be disturbed by the act of fishing.
    Possession of any fish other than menhaden is prohibited.
    Any vessel engaged in fishing for Atlantic menhaden for bait must obtain a bait permit and shall display, on both sides of the vessel amidships, a
    yellow capital letter "B" not less than five feet in height on a black square background not less that six feet on a side, or as otherwise specified in the
    regulation. In all cases, however, each side of the black background shall be no less that three-quarters of the height of the gunwale at amidships
    from the waterline.
    A permit suspension/revocation schedule exists for violation of authorized fishing areas. Any vessel operating under this permit is required to
    vessel or any change in intended fishing location prior to the onset of fishing activity. All persons licensed to take Atlantic menhaden for bait
    purposes only shall keep and submit accurate records of the amount and location of Atlantic menhaden harvested.

FEE:

Based upon gross tonnage - range $20-$700

Default Reduction boats?

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post

GEAR:

Purse or shirred net.

. Maximum length of vessel is 90 feet. Maximum length of net is 150 fathoms (900 feet). Removal

for bait.
    I don't know if there was a violation, but on another site a captain was talking about reduction boats. The way I read this I thought they weren't allowed?
    Also he said he was out there on Sat, and saw them. I thought they weren't allowed to net on Sat?

Here is the report -

"Broke Barnegat inlet at first light on Sat. Went south for bunker then stripers. Loaded up on bunker until a netter sat down along side of us and took most of the school. On the horizon at the 3 mile line there were four Bunker reduction boats waiting for the spotter plane"

I was out with Mrs cardoc a couple weeks ago. We were headed north from belmar. As the boat was underway a bunker boat with a 15ft row boat with a motor on it flew past us. All of a sudden he saw the bait that we were headed to and immediately dropped his net and started circling right in front of us. We had to make a quick turn he was so close. Then a guy jumped in the row boat and started making circles of his own keeping other boats away from them. I couldn't believe the way they did it. It was like they owned the water and that was their fish and eff everyone else. At the risk of causing and accident was crazy. Wonder how many stripers they caught in that string? The bass were onthe bunker 2 seconds before they dropped the nets.

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    I was out with Mrs cardoc a couple weeks ago. We were headed north from belmar. As the boat was underway a bunker boat with a 15ft row boat with a motor on it flew past us. All of a sudden he saw the bait that we were headed to and immediately dropped his net and started circling right in front of us. We had to make a quick turn he was so close. Then a guy jumped in the row boat and started making circles of his own keeping other boats away from them. I couldn't believe the way they did it. It was like they owned the water and that was their fish and eff everyone else. At the risk of causing and accident was crazy. Wonder how many stripers they caught in that string? The bass were onthe bunker 2 seconds before they dropped the nets.
    That sucks cardoc. We were fishing this morning in Ocean county. On the way back we did see a bunker bait boat. I don't know if they were harassing anyone, but it certainly seems some laws were violated when you ran into them. Or if they are not breaking any laws, they are definitely acting like A**holes. That behavior will not win them any friends or popularity among fishermen, and you never know when you will run into them again. I don't understand why they don't get it?

Default Chris Gatley:Bunker wars

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post

Great read cardoc thanks for posting.
    Here is an article by Capt Chris Gatley who writes for ESPN outdoors.

Updated: June 14, 2010, 2:07 PM ET
    Bunker wars

Commerical boats rustrating recreational anglers by affecting striper fishing

By Chris Gatley
    ESPNOutdoors.com
    Archive

Courtesy Capt. Mickey MelchiondoA commercial bunker boat and its net tender ply the waters off New Jersy.
    By now, saltwater anglers realize the importance of adult menhaden, or bunker, and the symbiotic relationship bunker play within our ecosystem.

Bunker are the true lifeline to the entire striped bass population along the east coast. What's more, bunker are filter feeders, and without them only bacteria and jellyfish can eat the plankton floating in the water.
    The complexity here is that jellyfish also eat fish fry as well as fish eggs. In short, bunkers play a pivotal role in balancing the ecosystem.
    Right now, the Atlantic Coast, specifically New Jersey, is witnessing a crushing blow to its Atlantic menhaden or bunker fishery with an unprecedented disturbance to the heart of the striped bass migration.
    For weeks, large purse-seining vessels have situated themselves immediately off our coast while spotter planes and helicopters locate schools.
    Like clockwork, planes and purse-seine vessels work in harmony as huge nets are continually set throughout the day. Most vessels have been adhering to the state legislation requiring them to remain at least three miles offshore.
    Courtesy Michale LipariWith bunker stocks being depleted by the commercial fleet, could this be one of the last 50-pound stripers caught?

However, several boats, including the herring fleet from Gloucester, Mass., have found a loophole in the law that allows vessels with bait permits to deploy purse-seine nets within 6/10 of one mile off New Jersey beaches.

Tensions and frustration on the water are high and is so bad that a major war of words along with aggressive maneuverability among all boat captains has become vicious. Anglers, charter captains and commercial fleets are engaged in aggressive bouts on a daily basis.
    One charter captain who wished to remain anonymous filed a complaint with the state police as his boat and life was threatened just days ago.
    Other captains from the recreational fleet experience a daily display of aggressive boatmanship pushing them out of the way. In fear of getting run over or run aground, these recreational captains are learning to go the opposite direction.
    If you were to drop by the commercial docks after successful hauls, you will see on average five to six tractor trailer loads of bunker being caught per vessel each day. Although recreational anglers understand that commercial fishermen are entitled to earning a living, the abundance of adult menhaden being extracted on a daily basis is alarming. Couple this with the main migration of striped bass passing through our waterways at this time and the disturbance to the striped bass fishery that results, and most would agree that regulations must change.
    "On several occasions, I have seen big bass floating belly up behind the purse seining fleet," Captain Jim Gahm said.
    Why are bunker so highly sought after? The primary products of bunker are fish meal and fish oil.
    Two basic forms of fish meal are produced. When specific fish such as bunker, herring and pollack are harvested, it is solely used as a supplemental protein source fed to livestock.
    Through the years, plant derived sources have become unavailable or have become too expensive. In addition, fish meal is used as a bypass protein source for lactating dairy cattle.
    Another product, fish oils, has long been used in maintaining a healthy diet for humans.
    Omega Protein Company is the commercial fleet using purse seining vessels to catch bunker along the Atlantic Coast as well as in the Gulf of Mexico. An official company press release may explain why so many boats have descended upon our waters and so quickly.
    "The Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which has affected our business and has led to increased costs, has not had a material adverse effect on our planned Company-wide fish catch," said Joe von Rosenberg, Omega Protein Chairman and CEO. "Our previously announced operating plan to reconfigure our Gulf of Mexico fishing fleet to avoid the areas affected by the oil spill appears so far to be working well."
    "The Company does not routinely announce fish catch statistics but it is doing so in this case because of the uniqueness of the situation created by the oil spill. The Company does not currently intend to update this information or make further announcements regarding fish catch, although it may elect to do so in the future if circumstances dictate."
    According to NOAA, New Jersey has long been considered an important alternate fishing ground for commercial bunker fleets. Although I cannot get an official response from Omega Protein, reading between the lines leads me to believe that some (if not all) of these bunker boats from Virginia are the displaced boats that once fished the Gulf of Mexico population of bunker prior to the oil spill.
    Add to the equation the closure of the herring fishery in New England and our bunker populations are experiencing an unprecedented number of commercial boats while recreational anglers are frustrated and up in arms.

Editor's note: Capt. Chris Gatley can be found with his fishing clients chasing striped bass in front of the Statue of Liberty, or heading offshore to the Atlantic Ocean canyons off the NJ/NY coast for tuna. His articles on cutting-edge fishing techniques can be found in The Fisherman Magazine, and he's a regular presenter at key sports shows during the winter months (when he's not pursuing whatever he can find in East Coast rivers).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/s...ris&id=5285331

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast