Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bunker boats: an up close look - who are they, where do they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    I was out with Mrs cardoc a couple weeks ago. We were headed north from belmar. As the boat was underway a bunker boat with a 15ft row boat with a motor on it flew past us. All of a sudden he saw the bait that we were headed to and immediately dropped his net and started circling right in front of us. We had to make a quick turn he was so close. Then a guy jumped in the row boat and started making circles of his own keeping other boats away from them. I couldn't believe the way they did it. It was like they owned the water and that was their fish and eff everyone else. At the risk of causing and accident was crazy. Wonder how many stripers they caught in that string? The bass were onthe bunker 2 seconds before they dropped the nets.

If I was out there and they pulled that crap I know I would be tossing 8oz sinkers at their heads. You're a better man than me cardoc for keeping your cool.

Got this at another site:

The Assembly and Senate are currently sponsoring Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140 to reduce Bunker netting and or permitted vessels. Below is a letter that can be cut and pasted to Word for printing. If you are sick and tired as most of us are with the Bunker rodeo currently going on and depletion of our resources then print, sign and address the below letter that is being circulated courtesy of The United Charter Boat Fleet of New Jersey. Feel free to personalize it as you see fit. Time to act is now as the bill is currently being discussed and people are pissed:

Updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 9, 2010

Governor Chris Christie
    Office of the Governor
    PO Box 001
    Trenton, NJ 08625-001

Senator Frank Lautenberg
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Suite 324
    Washington, DC 20510

Senator Jeff Van Drew
    21 North Main Street
    Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Senator Robert Menendez
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Suite 528
    Washington, DC 20510

Director David Chanda
    N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
    P.O. Box 400
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr.
    504 Broadway
    Long Branch, NJ 07740

Senator Bob Smith
    216 Stelton Road
    Suite E-5
    Piscataway, NJ 08854

Re: Support For Senator Jeff Van Drew, Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140
    Menhaden Purse Seining Regulations & Compliance
    Request for Termination of Menhaden Commercial Netting
    State of New Jersey Coastal Waters By New Jersey Taxpayers

Dear Elected Officials:

I am writing in support of the Bunker Bill A2304/S1140 (att.) currently being sponsored in the Assembly by Mathew Milam, Nelson Albano, Celeste Riley and in the Senate by Jeff Van Drew and Robert Smith.

I am also writing to each of you to place you on notice of the out of control and unregulated commercial purse seining and netting of Menhaden currently being conducted in New Jersey coastal waters, specifically off Ocean and Monmouth counties and in Raritan Bay. Out of state vessels, ships, trucking companies supported by a network of planes and helicopters are netting thousands of tons of Menhaden from New Jersey state waters daily wiping out the entire population of filter feeders and forage for game fish. In the last 2 weeks they have wiped out miles upon miles of Menhaden. Our ecosystem cannot support this level of netting. Indiscriminate killing and by catch may include right whales, striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, turtles and dolphins. We have been subject to constant harassment from low flying spotter planes and total disregard by reckless netting activities putting us in harms way. The public is outraged and the media has been contacted.

As a local recreational fishermen, taxpayer and voter I am personal witness to the devastation caused by these vessels and the negative effects it has on New Jersey recreational fishing, our local economies and water quality. I am asking you as our elected officials too immediately issue a moratorium while supporting Senator Jeff Van Drew’s Bill to restrict and then eliminate the commercial netting of Menhaden in New Jersey state waters pending an environmental and ecological study. The amount of Menhaden being netted is unregulated and cannot be sustained and is being exhausted by these purse seiners. They are very efficient with their spotter planes, helicopters, 1/5 mile nets, vacuums, transport ships and dozens of 70-90 foot vessels all while being non discriminatory. This occurs Monday-Friday, sun up to sun down without an annual quota! I really question what the state of New Jersey gets out of this? The state permit fee of $20- $700 is minimal but consequences on recreational fishing and water quality are tremendous.

New Jersey is allowing out of state vessels, out of state trucking companies, out of state payrolls yielding poor recreational fishing and millions of dollars in lost sales tax revenue from anglers not spending money on motels, restaurants, fuel, tackle, bait, boat purchases, registration fees, food, recreational fishing charters, tolls, insurance, boat maintenance, etc while sacrificing the water quality for the state of New Jersey (Menhaden are huge filter feeders of algae and plankton which is now spiking due to high nitrogen levels from fertilizer run off, also a separate DEP issue). This is a violation of every citizens and anglers rights fishing New Jersey coastal waters. The State of New Jersey has a fiduciary duty to protect our resources from foreign interests and states.

The issue needs to be addressed ASAP before our waters suffer the same consequences of the Chesapeake Bay. Does the state even know or care where the hundreds of thousands of tons of Menhaden are trucked or shipped to or what they are used for? We are told for bait only but no one can be sure of this as they are not pursued. Possibly being delivered to Corporations for processing? A single reduction Corporation located in Virginia operates 41 company-owned fishing vessels and 32 spotter planes for use in their fishing operations. Spotter planes are used to locate schools of fish and then directing the ships for the final catch with a purse seine net. Does the state care that out of state businesses are profiting from our resources at our expense on so many levels? The State of New Jersey including the citizens are being ripped off in so many ways, plain and simple. Once these vessels deplete our waters like they did to the Herring in Massachusetts they simply go back home while our Ocean resembles a desert. How can you as our elected officials allow this to occur? Who is profiting from the depletion of our resources and what gives these out of state netters rights to our resources which are owned by us the taxpayers and voters of New Jersey? State resources are not owned by elected officials or by a consortium of unregulated out of state netters. We elected you to office to represent and protect our interests. That clearly is not being done on this issue.

As you can tell the anglers of New Jersey oppose the current Menhaden management plan by The New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife. The state needs to revoke all permits and discontinue the harvesting of Menhaden now, not next year or next month. Regulation and quotas are nonexistent. After three phone calls to the Division of Fish & Wildlife I am still waiting for a list of the 2010 permitted Menhaden vessels.

The state is also now contemplating the requirement that recreational saltwater fishermen register and we all anticipate a saltwater license requirement and fee in 2011 or 2012. This will be an insult to us based on the above management policies. As a neighboring state governor has stated, the American public has a right to fish. You can expect stern and collective opposition from the hundreds of thousands NJ saltwater anglers, voters and related sport fishing industries if something is not done to protect New Jersey marine resources ASAP. Specifically, Menhaden which is a staple food source for many migratory game fish of New Jersey while also filtering and purifying millions of gallons of seawater daily.

I also support the Reef Pot Bill and the elimination of all Gill Netting in New Jersey coastal waters which has resulted in the total collapse of our Weakfish population in northern New Jersey waters.

Thank you for your assistance. Please address our concerns and represent our interests as taxpayers, anglers and voters living and fishing in the State of NJ. You have a responsibility to protect our state resources for the greater interests of the public, not special interests or neighboring state industries in exchange for minimal State permit fees ranging from $20-$700. Please act now in support of Senator Van Drew's Menhaden Bill A2304/S1140.

Sincerely,
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

yet another charter capt. with bunker boat issues

This morning I went out early with a friend of mine and at 7:00 5 Bunker boats come out and charged to where we were set up with a few pick ups and 3 or 4 run offs and they started to drag the coast clean of any fish at all, as we saw them toss back 10 or 15 dead bass we said this has got to stop!!!
    When we got in there way they were on the radio calling the CG and they instructed us keep clear, regardless of the dead Bass and by-catch
    We have to keep pressure on our people that we elected into Trenton, so keep those e-mails and letters going to them.

Default Report 6-15-10 Ocean Grove area

Speedy called in this morning, the report:

4 bunker boats
    1 was about 100' long.
    1 was about 40-50'.
    the 2 remaining boats were skiffs with the main boats.
    There were also 2 spotter planes circling above to help spot the bunker so the netters could grab them up.

This was about 9am.

Thanks for the report, Speedy, reports and pics (if you can get them, or read the boat markings and ID) are all appreciated in this thread.

Although today it seems they were all legal, as has been mentioned some of these captains have threatened some of the Rec fishermen on the water.

We need to keep documenting this in case there is a blatant violation, for which we should push for prosecution.

Bear in mind that these boats all have their permits and are operating within the law. However, sooner or later they'll slip up.

Thanks for your diligence, guys and gals.

to add to this the b-boats where not 3-n miles from the rocks the four people i talked to later that day said

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    to add to this the b-boats where not 3-n miles from the rocks the four people i talked to later that day said

I hear ya bro, there are also some boats that are violating the restriction by not staying at least 0.6 miles from shore when throwing the net.

Here's some shots I took yesterday, 6-16-10, around 8:30 am. The boat in question was maneuvering back and forth off the Moco coastline. When I saw this boat, it was clearly closer than 0.6 mi.

I just want to emphasize that I didn't observe any behavior that violated the statutes, from this particular boat. I didn't see any netting going on while they were inside the statutory line.

Just the same, here's some pics. Others, feel free to post pics or any info you can relate about these boats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9350.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	11487

Name:	IMGP9352.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	11488

Name:	IMGP9354.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	11489

Sooner or later, one of us will be hopefully be able to document some violation.

yet another charter capt. with bunker boat issues

This morning I went out early with a friend of mine and at 7:00 5 Bunker boats come out and charged to where we were set up with a few pick ups and 3 or 4 run offs and they started to drag the coast clean of any fish at all, as we saw them toss back 10 or 15 dead bass we said this has got to stop!!!
    When we got in there way they were on the radio calling the CG and they instructed us keep clear, regardless of the dead Bass and by-catch
    We have to keep pressure on our people that we elected into Trenton, so keep those e-mails and letters going to them.

Absolutely disgusting!

Headed out the highlands today and right smack in the middle were 3 b boats just hanging out there waiting for god knows what.

This is from another site. One of the local charter captains posted this. I am happy for him. Hope more guys keep their eyes open and take action.

While fishing off Sandy Hook today the bunker boats came in close to the beach illegally. The Coast Guard went out, the game wardens got involved.
    Glad to see law enforcement really cares. Had one local bunker boat and New England boat devastating massive amounts of bunker close to the beach.
    Stripers mixed in with them. I made the call and it looks like i will have to go to court to testify, so be it. I obey the law while running my charter boat, they must also follow the rules. They are making tons of money at the expense of New Jersey and they can't even do it legally. Will post some pictures later.
    We had five charter boats taking pictures and trading some kind words. Once the Coast Guard came out all the bunker boats went back to Belford. Too bad!

Dark was right, it's only a matter of time before they eff up.
    ^^ Thanks for posting that Cardoc. Many of these captains are hard working, honest, and only looking to feed their families. Unfortunately, mixed in with that group are guys who will break any law they can slide past to put a few hundred $$ extra in their pockets at the end of the day.

There have to be people like the captain above out there, willing to call the Coast Guard, and follow through if it means them going to court.

Realistically, I ask anyone who reads this, how many people are willing to do that?

The answer:
    Not many....

So many thanks to that Captain who posted that, Cardoc, and you for posting as well. We're not gonna gain any ground by letting others do the work here, or being complacent and expecting "Joe, Jon, Sal, or Bill" to do it for us.

Thanks to all out there who can see this clearly.

Keep up the good work fellas. I saw 2 bunker boats out there this morning. If we don't watch over them they will take every last bunker.

Bad part is it's all legal they have permits

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Bad part is it's all legal they have permits
    Yeah but even with the permits they're no better than pirates.

Default Dennis from radio 101.5 a creep? a mugger?

I heard him on the radio today. They were out on a boat, mugged some guys on the LBI, and got some bass under the bunker close to the rocks where the guys were. When they caught a bass, they said the guys on the jetty were yelling at them, saying they didn't have a clue as to etiquette.

His friend, the boat owner, yelled back to the guys on the jetty, "well we must have a clue because we got a fish and you didn't!"

I don't really think that was fair. They got the striper because they came really close to the jetty where the other guys were fishing. They had the whole ocean, and they had to go and harass the guys on the jetty. What is wrong with people? I like Dennis, I listen to that show every day. I know he loves to fish, but now I have a different opinion of him. What do you guys think of boaters who come too close to the jetty fishermen?

I heard that too. Dennis is a funny guy, most of the time I agree with him and his politics. I would have had to see how close he came to the guys on that jetty. I wouldn't do that. If I ever get into a situation where I have a guy yelling at me, I give them the oops my bad shrug, and move further out. No sense in getting in fights on the water. I think he could have handled that better. It was mostly his frend doing the arguing though, Dennis was just relating the story.

This is just an update for guys who are waving their hands in the air with the new proposed bunker legislation (the VanDrew bill). It seems that some view that as great progress.

While it's better than nothing, it's not really solving much. And as others mentioned, all it will do is prevent new players from getting a bunker permit next year. Those who have their permits from 2009 and earlier will still be able to come into NJ water and net unlimited amounts of bunker.

Business as usual, for the most part. The only difference will be a few new players frozen out.

NY has strict bunker regulations. According to my sources, there is no ocean bunker netting permitted in state waters by purse seine boats. All purse seine netting has to be done past the 3 mile limits in federal waters.

NJ boaters enjoyed world class striper fishing for the months of May and June, directly attributable to the abundant bunker.

As a result, people have been travelling to NJ from PA, midwestern states, and Canada this year, to get in on the phenomenal striped bass ocean bite. Ask yourself how much that's worth to our state in tourist dollars?

LI boaters off the Rockaways and western LI are now enjoying world class bass fishing. In some instances it's better than the fishing at Montauk, Block Island, and Cape Cod ocean hotspots.

The next time you see a pro-bunker commercial position in an internet conversation, where they argue they should be given parity....
    ask yourself if they continue to have unlimited access to the bunker off the coast of NJ, how long our area will remain as a world class striper destination for vacationers?

It's all about the bunker....no bunker, and there's nothing to hold the big fish from moving north. Just ask H Bruce Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    It's all about the bunker
    I hear you dark but I say it's all about the $$ the commercial lobbyists give to the politicos. jmo.

One thing I have learned in my decades on this Earth is that a lot of wheeling and dealing goes on in the back rooms and gov't conference halls. It is less of a case of what is right, and more of a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is the reality we all face.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    One thing I have learned in my decades on this Earth is that a lot of wheeling and dealing goes on in the back rooms and gov't conference halls. It is less of a case of what is right, and more of a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is the reality we all face.
    It may be the reality, but its so wrong and really makes me angry.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Menhaden bill becomes law

They finally passed it. I really don't see where it is going to make much of a difference, but maybe I'm wrong.

Menhaden Bill Becomes Law

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation
    Immediate Release

Belmar, NJ 9/15/2010
    September 15, 2010 - Governor Chris Christie Takes Action on Legislation

A bill supported by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, that revises statute concerning licenses to take menhaden (A-2304/S-1140), was signed into law by Governor Christie yesterday.
    “This law is a beginning in the effort to reduce the negative impact on the environment and recreational fishing,” said Anthony Mauro, Chairman, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance. He continued, “This bill had the unanimous support of the 22 member council of the NJOA Conservation Foundation. We look forward to monitoring the impact of the new law and, if necessary, pursuing remedial measures.”

The bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection may only issue a license for a person to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets if that person possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and commencing in 2011, the commissioner may only issue a license to a person to take menhaden who (1) possessed a valid license for at least one of the years between 2002 through and including 2009, and (2) possessed a valid license in the preceding year.
    The bill also provides criteria for the replacement and retiring of vessels used to take menhaden with purse or shirred nets. Lastly, the bill provides that the Commissioner of Environmental Protection will regulate the taking of menhaden, including the issuance and transfer of licenses for the taking of menhaden.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast