I'm fortunate to have come to know him not only as a conservationist and intense fisherman, but also as a friend. I may joke about his grouchiness, but that's because of his incessant hammering of where he thinks the fishery is headed.

He was once part of a group of fishermen who weren't as concerned as they should be.

Then, they saw the light and fought for years to bring us the great fishing we've experienced since the mid-80's.

The fact that he sees it going into the toilet again, with lots of newer fishermen in complete denial, is too much for him to process.

At times he can't understand why people don't see things the same way he does. He also sees commercial gill-netters decimating our juvenile weakfish and other small fish, and is not willing to accept the decline of a fishery as he once witnessed. Coupled with the fact there is so much apathy when it comes to thinking about the future, no wonder the guy is a bit grouchy sometimes.

He's a true sportsman, and would give ya the shirt off his back if ya needed it. Also one of the most generous fishermen I know....
with his advice, time, teachings, always willing to help a new guy out, and having taken many anglers under his wing to show them subtle ways to effectively present to the fish, he certainly has earned a place in this thread.

And he's a tough old "bird" too. Having encountered some health difficulties which cut down on his fishing a bit, he's full of **** and vinegar. He still seems as enthusuastic about his love for fishing as when he was 5years old and his Dad took him offshore cod fishing in January for the first time.

OK, now off of the Finchaser soapbox.

If any of ya's have anything to add to this story, please feel free, and thanks!