Thread: Gaffs

Default Gaffs

I have seen recently debates about gaffing stripers. Why would you do that? Isn't there a good probability that it could be a short? Is it even legal to gaff a striper?

I like to practice CnR so the thought of someone gaffing a striper without knowing its size mystifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    I have seen recently debates about gaffing stripers. Why would you do that? Isn't there a good probability that it could be a short? Is it even legal to gaff a striper?

I like to practice CnR so the thought of someone gaffing a striper without knowing its size mystifies me.
    What he said^^^ really scary when you consider most fisherman have magnavision when it comes to the size of a fish.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

If you're on a 6 pack or party boat, the mate or captain should know the size before gaffing. Personally, on a boat I would use a net for a bass, and then decide whether I would keep it or not. A net isn't really practical on the jetties. In that case I feel you should know the difference between a keeper and a short before you decide to gaff it.

If you need to think about it don't gaff it grab the leader, personally I don't own one.

I have a friend that fishes jettys alot. He uses the gaff to hook the treble hooks on the plug. He doesn't gaff the fish at all. It sound like a good way to get the fish with out damaging it.

I grew up fishing NJ jetties and don't own a net or a gaff. Or a treble hook for that matter.

If you Jetty fish and hook into some 20 lbers a gaff is unavoidable

I don't know about that. So after you gaff your limit of keepers of 20lbs. or better you go home because if you catch more you would have to gaff them and kill them or cut your line to remove them,in any of the latter scenarios that makes no sense.Maybe I'm missing something here I've landed 30 Lb.plus stripers w/o gaffs use a heavier and longer leader.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I don't know about that. So after you gaff your limit of keepers of 20lbs. or better you go home because if you catch more you would have to gaff them and kill them or cut your line to remove them,in any of the latter scenarios that makes no sense.Maybe I'm missing something here I've landed 30 Lb.plus stripers w/o gaffs use a heavier and longer leader.
    When you are fishing off a jetty that is 15 feet off the surface I imagine you use a 20 feet leader? How do you keep it from going through the eyes and into the reel when you are getting those 40 to 60 lbers?? what pound test do you use to lift a 40 lb bass that high?

What ever happened to beaching big fish or is everyone too lazy to walk back to the beach end of the rocks. Can't believe you would beat the hell out of a fish dragging it up the side of a jetty But then again with todays fishing etiquette, I assume you would loose your precious spot to muggers so screw the fish. I understand this can't be done from a seawall but jetties shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    When you are fishing off a jetty that is 15 feet off the surface I imagine you use a 20 feet leader? How do you keep it from going through the eyes and into the reel when you are getting those 40 to 60 lbers?? what pound test do you use to lift a 40 lb bass that high?
    Actually finchaser has the best answer start walking. Yes fish a 20 ft. leader and when the leader gets to your rod put your rod down and grab the leader to manage your fish to a safe spot then w/ your korkers on I assume you climb down and grab your fish, you don't lift any large fish w/ a leader regardless of the lb. test unless you want to pull the hook out of your face How long is the gaff handle if you are fishing 15ft. in the air 20 ft. long?And 40- 60 lbers. come on now how many of them do ya see?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What ever happened to beaching big fish
    that's what I've always done, except at Barnegat Inlet.

What do you do in NJ in June when there are 40 guys to your left or right?

If your asking me, there are always exceptions to beaching a fish. In reality its ashame, as most of those fish are killed for ego's.
    Me personally I avoid that area like the plague not my idea of fishing

I'm done, don't fish there live in N.Y. you seem to have a lot of problems fishing on jetties.One word of advice if you can't fish w/ 40 guys stay away from Montauk because 40 is a light crowd.

I can see everyone has a strong opinion on this one. I think it shows the maturity of all of ya's that you can discuss different opinions without it deteriorating away from the topic. As I was doing research for the EEZ thread, I saw that isn't always the case on other sites.

We'll never have a world where we agree on everything. Diversity of opinion is a challenge we all face. Thanks for trying, guys.

I've got no problem with gaffing a fish if you're going to keep it and it's of legal size.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    ...if you can't fish w/ 40 guys stay away from Montauk...
    Will do.

I was responding to statements that you never have to use a gaff If a guy is going to keep a fish dead is dead I peronally dont care or does it bother me how he lands it

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What he said^^^ really scary when you consider most fisherman have magnavision when it comes to the size of a fish.
    I think if you have a 20# or better it makes sense to use a gaff. Otherwise just lip it. And what about scuba divers, I think if things look bigger underwater they should be careful that what looks like a 30" fish is not 26".