Thread: Prayers for a fisherman....

Default Prayers for a fisherman....

A lot of you know me from different places. I've met a good number of people in my travels, and made some good friends. One such friend is BigMan. His name is Chriis, and he lives near Shinnecock, LI.

He contacted me because he's getting surgery on a tumor done. Because of the seriousness, (the surgery only has a 50% success rate) he put the surgery off for 2 years now. Well, he's getting it tomorrow, and the website he belongs to wouldn't let him post about it because it wasn't a fishing report. I don't want to focus on that, so for you LI guys thatn know the site, please refrain from any comments about it. I'd like us to focus on positive things in this thread.

So, because I know how to pull a few strings here and there, I posted this thread over there for him.

This is the plea I wrote asking fellow members for support or cmments to help him make it through....

On a side note, well known ******* member BIGMAN is having surgery this Thursday, April 14.

Without getting into too many details, I can tell you it is the surgery he has been trying to have for the last 2 years. This is serious stuff, fellas.

Standard survival rate from this surgery is slightly better than 50%. This may help some of you to understand why he was putting it off. Now, he's at the point where he has to have it or severe medical complications will result.

There really ain't a delicate way to put this, but his life will be hanging by a thread, in the hands of his skilled surgeons.

I have asked for your prayers for him in the past. You guys have been great and have always come through. I know it may seem like a lot, but I'm asking everyone who reads this to say a prayer for him.

Beyond that, I'm also asking anyone who reads this to please PM him with some words of encouragement, if you can.

BIGMAN is a strong guy, and has been to hell and back again with these surgeries and life-threatening illnesses. He has a beautiful wife and daughters, and mother, and mother in law who depend on him and need him to make it through this.

And he also has you, his ******* friends, a crazy collection of fishermen from all over, who have either met him or read of him in all the years he has been on this site.

I'm not the most religious person, but I've been praying for him, and just wanted to let you folks know that...
    1. the power of prayer is strong.
    2. The power of your PMs could be strong as well.

His eyesight is failing, so he won't be able to read these, but his wife will be checking this board every day until the operation on Thursday..

If you need his phone # and want to wish him well, IRA (Ghostrider) has it. Feel free to ask for it if you feel so moved. But all I'm asking for is some prayers, and for some of ya's to send him PMs of encouragement.

Over the years, I've seen people come and go from this board. I've seen jokes, fights, and crazy antics. I've also seen the love and outporing or concern you folks have for each other. Please, if you can, let's try to show BIGMAN some love and support.

This is the real deal, and this time he needs you guys more than ever.

Thanks for reading this, guys and gals!

Rich

The response for Bigman was overwhelming. Friends and strangers aliike. Some of the posts brought tears to my eyes. Powerful stuff.

I'll post some of them when I get a chance.

In the meantime, he's having the surgery at 5am tomorrow, Thur April14.

If anyone has it in them to pray for a fellow fisherman, I'm asking the folks who can, to say some prayers for him and his family.

I appreciate it, and thanks for reading this.

Prayers sent for Bigman and his family.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

You certainly have a way with words darkskies. Thoughts and prayers for a successful operation.

bigman lit some candles for ya bro prayers for a successful operation bro

prayers sent may god watch over you and aid those helping you for a successful operation

God bless

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thoughts and prayers to ya Big man hope all goes well.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thanks for the prayers, people.

Some of the posts people put up abouot him:

BIG MAN YOUR IN MAUREENS PRAYERS AND MINE,,HEY BUDDY WE NEED YOU HERE,, THANKS RICH FOR THE UPDATE, YOU BE GOOD TOO,, ><))):> ~~~~ ><))):>

"BIGMAN, I'm praying for you to have a successful surgery and even a faster recovery.

Prayer Before An Operation

Father, as I face this operation, I come to You with my fears and misgivings and ask You to put into my heart the needed courage to face the day with unwavering confidence in Your goodness and protection. May the knowledge that You do not slumber nor sleep while I am in a deep sleep, be an assurance to me that I need not worry nor be afraid. Calm my nerves, put my mind at ease and, in Your mercy, forgive me all my sins.

Give to the surgeon a steady hand and the skill to do his task with ease and perfection. Give to my loved ones the reassuring faith that You are with us, the Keeper of my body and the Lover of my soul! Calm all their anxieties during the coming hours of my operation.

Into Your Hands I entrust my well being. All this I ask, Father, in the Name of Jesus and through the merits of His Most Precious Blood.

Amen"

"No worry the Angels are protecting you!!

Bigman, no worry the Angels are protecting you Man!! Read your PM i sent you I feel strongly you will do well since there are a lot of people who love you and need you here!! Including the Bass!!

God Bless you and thank you Darkskies!!!!! "

"Hang in there Chris

I'll be waiting at the corner for you. You know you can't land a fish without me. Shane's counting on fishing with you and having another Honey Bun.

Dont worry, they're not here yet. Get healthy Brother "
    "

"good luck bigman

We only met once on shinnecock bridge and you gave me some very valuable info on fishing on the bridge, and i really appreciated it. So good things happen to good people, so you have nothing to worry abought.
    Good luck always,
    Dennis "

"Bigman:

We never met but perhaps you were a fan of my Canarsie Pier herring reports last year. Well I have it on good authority that you'll continue to have tight lines until I catch 100 herring. Don't fret my 2010 total was one and I only have one for 2011 so no worries plenty of time to enjoy your favorite sport.get well soon!!!! Dave
    "

"I'm praying for BigMan his family and friends and every one in here:God our Father walk through our life and take away all our worries an illnesses and please watch over and heal BigMan,save him and make his surgery be successful, you know his family need him very much,in Jesus name Amen....Remember Faith is the light that guides you through the Darkness....God Bless You all...Fred
    "

Some nice prayers the people said for him Dark. I hope he made it through, Any news yet?

I saw that thread on the other site. DS you do a wonderful job of rallying people for a cause. Some of the folks who posted in that thread have not posted for years. You would make a great lobbyist, Do you have a status update?

Default Status udate for Bigman...

Thanks for all the kind words, people. BassBuddah I can't see myself as a lobbyist at this stage... maybe in a few years from now, but thanks for the perspective.

Here's an update.... he made it through, and they said they got all of the tumor!

I talked to Bigman...he talked himself out of the hospital already. They put him in a room with a view of the E River. It was so close he said he could have fished right out the window.

He told them if they were going to torture him like that they should have given him some bunker and a rod.

He's OK, but in a lot of pain in his head ( well waddya expect after brain surgery??? ) and he's got some bleeding still going on.

His eyesight, still is fuzzy, but he thinks it's going to get better.

In all, he was in good spirits....

And his wife sent a personal request to any of you guys who've been calling him....it's definitely good for his morale, but please limit the time of those calls to like 5 or 10 minutes at a time, as he really does need to recover from this surgery. He's a strong dude, but he doesn't have to heart to say that a long phone call could get in the way of his recovery,. so please try to self-limit, guys.

And he's still blown away by all the people who cared and expressed their well-wishes, especially the prayers. We all feel it made a great difference. He feels like he has a new lease on life, given to him by God and the faith in others....

So here's to new beginnings, and best wishes for good health and happiness to all on here and their families.

Without the love of family and friends, we don't really have much at all.

Thanks again, people.

Good to hear everything worked out.