The recent death of the Dad in the Nissequogue River in LI affected me deeply, possibly because I was there when it happened.

My heart goes out to the family of the officer who drowned.
Sadly, today there is a 5 year old growing up without his father.
I can't let it end there, I feel I must do more.

So I've decided to do a comprehensive documentation of all the kayak deaths in the US, every year. Complete with stats, but stats don't always tell the story.

Stories and details do....because it is these details that will eventually reach people and cause them to either become more safety oriented, or contact their legislators and get them to iron out some tougher safety laws.

I realize this is a slippery slope here.
I'm very hesitant to push for things that will make it more onerous or expensive to own a kayak. I hate government intrusion into our lives as it is. Don't want to be the source of more of it. And I know some kayakers will hate the fact that I am talking about this stuff here....

Nonetheless, I feel it's important to raise awareness, to the extent that some might feel I'm preaching about it. And their assessments, would be correct.

I just don't know of any other way to raise awareness of the risk without talking about the deaths.

I would like to point out there are many successful kayak trips each year.
It's a great way to go out and enjoy the water.

There are those who say we are on a slippery slope here...if legislatrors can regulate kayak safety, perhaps they will regulate whether we can creep around on jetties at night, as their next objective.

A friend said:
"Rich we live in a country of freedoms. We can't be expected to pretect people from not taking precautions on their own. People have a right to make safety mistakes."

I agree with that, but when kids are involved, and you're not out there by yourself., perhaps there should be some more guidelines.

Sometimes, the only way for those guidelines to be followed is by laws being enacted.
I don't have any concrete proposals yet, but am willing to align myself with and promote any group that is promoting kayak/small craft safety and wants to get the word out there.....

So, here you have the kakak deaths thread...
the most in-your-face-way to raise awareness that I know.

I'll start it out, then please feel free to add to it if you can, providing the appropriate link to each story about a kayak death.

I know this may be upsetting to some, but couldn't forgive myself if at least I didn't try to raise more awareness....

Thanks for reading.