Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
By the time the Sandomenicos lifted the exhausted child onto their boat, Caden seemed overwhelmed.
He kept repeating, “You heard my whistle, you heard my whistle,” over and over again, Mr. Sandomenico recalled.
When Mr. Sandomenico asked what had happened, the boy, shivering and exhausted, said his father had disappeared underwater.

“He used those words: ‘He went down,’ ” Mr. Sandomenico said.

Willie, reading that still wrenches my guts a week later.
I keep thinking of his son's words, and the tramatic set of circumstances that young child had to witness. Tragic, moving, and compelling. And, being my prime inspiration to start speaking out and raising awareness on kayak safety.

Following are some of the pics I took at the scene.
If, for any reason, someone wants the originals of them, I have them saved in a folder, all around 190-200k. Let me know and I will send them out to you.

Please don't judge Patrick Luca. He could have used better judgement, sure, but he paid with his life for that decision. This just kills me to even think about it.
We need to raise awareness. There is a lack of safety in many areas when it comes to kayaks and small craft like this being used in big water.

If some of us can learn from this, and make safer choices on the water, then his death will not have been in vain. Deepest condolences to the family and friends of Officer Luca.