Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing reports: Turd Ferguson helps the new guys

Bababooey boat fish don't count. I bet you netted every one of them, even the small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post

dark skies, astronaut and fisherman: a man barely alive
    Gentlemen we can rebuild him

We have the technology
    We have the capability to make the worlds first fish fart smelling fisherman
    dark skies will be that man

Better than he was before
    Better, Stronger, Faster
    Able to smell fish farts that lead him to the fish.
    Able to hook a fish while simultaneously hooking himself.
    Able to sleep in a public toilet, despite the stench.

Able to wear waders for weeks at a time without washing, and able to exist on coffee and bargain basement hindu pork roll sandwiches (maybe that's why the waders smell so much)
    And able to withstand bitter cold winds, and fish 71 hours at a time, for one fish.

We have the technology
    We have the capability
    If we unleash this man upon the world, will it be for the better good, or a science experiment gone wrong?

Ha ha so funny steve, you should write for TV shows or something.

Default Get out on the bar......

Today's report....

"the best way to do that would have been to get out on the bar....but the tide was coming in quick....I tried anyway, got a little wet.....

Birds were on bait and fish anywhere from 250-500' out for several hours. The chief complaint of a lot of guys was that the fish were just out of reach.... and they were, except for the guys on the bar or those who could cast 250' each time...."

Your best bet is to get out on the bar, dropping tide, be CAREFUL and pay attention to when the tide is coming back in so you can get out of there.
    In many cases, the fish are just over the bar, and will smash your jig or metal as soon as it hits the bottom edge of that bar.

A smart angler will pay attention to how the bar moves in contour with the surf line, and the opening of the outsuck. After fishing a place a few hours, you should be able to predict the moment when your presentation will get smashed, by remembering where past fish were hitting.

We have the capability to make the worlds first fish fart smelling fisherman
    dark skies will be that man

Better than he was before
    Better, Stronger, Faster
    Able to smell fish farts that lead him to the fish.
    Able to hook a fish while simultaneously hooking himself.
    Able to sleep in a public toilet, despite the stench.

Able to wear waders for weeks at a time without washing, and able to exist on coffee and bargain basement hindu pork roll sandwiches (maybe that's why the waders smell so much)

Steve, your creativity knows no bounds, I gotta tell ya I fell of my chair laughing when I read it....
    I wanna send ya a plug for that...PM me your address and I'll send it out! Thanks so much for the laughs, bro!

If you want to get more plugs, all ya have to do is

1.tape a video of yourself saying....

"Darkskies....the worlds FIRST fish fart smelling fisherman, on StripersAndAnglers.com"

2. and post it on Youtube.....

If ya do it, I'll send ya 3 more plugs for doing that....

Any other member who reads this, and wants to earn 2 free plugs,

Just follow the 2 steps above, and I'll send you 2 free plugs

Thanks for the laughs guys, I'm still laughing as I type this!

Default Fishing bait during a sand eel bite.....

I have no beef with guys who fish bait, and want to first acknowledge the fact that the biggest fish are caught on bait, every year. Whether you use bunker, clams, eels, worms, live herring or spot, there are times when bait will out-produce artificials...and that's definitely the time to use it....

But for all the guys fishin clams out there.....when you see fish starting to swirl in the fall surf at first light, and they're feeding on sand eels, that means the profile is sand eels, not clams....and the best presentation to catch those fish is metal, slim slender profile jigs of some kind that resemble those sand eels....not clams........

Fishing a clam rod is fine, but for Pete's sake bring another rod with ya, and throw that metal...we saw too many guys fishin clams this morning, with the rod idly sitting in the spike or in their hands, while the rest of the guys fishing metal were hooked up consistently......

Clammers during blitzes, I always wondered why a guy dosn't put down his stick and pick up a plugging stick. I think some of these guys are afraid to work for their fish. Sit on a bunket and dream away. If I fish clams I have the rod in my hand waiting for the strike.
    btw love the 6 million dollar man parody Steve, used to watch that show all the time.

Dark Skies, I think clams have their time and place in any fishermans arsenal. They work particularly well after a heavy noreaster or in the spring when the water is very cold. The point you made about matching the hatch was one I agree with. Right now the bass are feeding on sandeels and small rainfish and bay anchovies. Those folks who throw offerings that most closely represent this forage will have the most success.

Default Metal and long casts....

Well-said, clamchucker, Thanks!

It's been said there are times when a man wishes he had a longer rod...both in fishing a big surf and in social sitations....there are times when (some) guys might say...Gee I could have used a few extra inches today....

If that's true, then Finchaser must be hung like a horse...
    Cause that old basstard, out of shape geezer, old and wizened, with more aches and pains than half the young bucks on the beach, has been killing it lately.....

And it ain't the metal he's throwing,...or the rod, it's the guy...
    That basstard consistently out-throws 90% of the guys on the beach.....

Why, you could be fishin right next to him, and not catch a single solitary fish...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Mick - Lately Fin has been doing most of the C&R of the bigger fish, I lost my edge when the bite went to metal. That old wrinkled basstard is a freaking machine,,,,he schools most of the internet heroes on the beach every time out there lately, except yesterday when the high hook (not him) got one fluke....so let's give it up for the old grouch, who releases more keepers in a year than a clam guy catches in 5 years...

So work on your distance, try to use heavier metals when it's warranted (like today, when 3 oz was a good choice), and if ya ain't long enough, work on that too....

It's been said there are times when a man wishes he had a longer rod...both in fishing a big surf and in social sitations....there are times when (some) guys might say...Gee I could have used a few extra inches today....

If that's true, then Finchaser must be hung like a horse...
    Cause that old basstard, out of shape geezer, old and wizened, with more aches and pains than half the young bucks on the beach, has been killing it lately.....

So work on your distance, try to use heavier metals when it's warranted (like today, when 3 oz was a good choice), and if ya ain't long enough, work on that too....

So do you come up short in the bedroom too, Turd? I don't have that problem as I'm hung like Ron Jeremy.

^^. My life is so much richer, now that you shared that tidbit about yourself, Steve....

Please do not wear waders on jetties, ya might end up dead.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...es-up-on-beach

So do you come up short in the bedroom too, Turd? I don't have that problem as I'm hung like Ron Jeremy.
    I look like Ron Jeremy, handsome devil that he is, but am hung like a pimple. Does that count? As for Dark, I think with those glasses he kind of looks like Magoo, we could call him magoo skies!

^^ Magoo this, Bababooey!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Ibsp was hot this am, we had about 70 between 5 of us,

no bar- no fish.

No long cast - no fish.
    Great point Shark....this has been said time and time again, but people seem to not want to learn.....
    A few days ago I was next to 3 guys on a less crowded beach,,,each of them was casting metal with a teaser, and each cast was about 50-75 feet...if you're going to cast like that ya might as well stay home....

I was thinking about saying something, but unsolicited advice can backfire at times, so I just let them catch no fish and moved on.....

Realistically, when the fish are far out, you need casts of at least 200' or more, and a teaser, which may be good for the night bite, will impede your maximum distance....

Cast to the swirls....
    A friend and I got into a few giant bluefish and some small bass yesterday. It was toughm and a real slow pick, 100 casts for each fish....one thing that helped us was to obsessively cast to a swirl whenever we saw a fish come up to grab a sand eel...these were mostly bluefish, but a lot of fun. When the bite is random and fish are scattered like that you have to learn to think strategically...

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    I look like Ron Jeremy, handsome devil that he is, but am hung like a pimple. Does that count? :
    Haha you stole that from Stern!

^^ Did you happen to notice what my screen name was? Doh!

End of season pattern....

As the water gets colder and with the air temps being what they are, we will eventually transition to a point where the best bite is end of day...there is still an early morning surf bite, tide-dependent...but the dawn bite seems to have greatly dimiinished. Loiok for that pattern to continue and realize that the afternoons will now start to show as being more worth your time...

Right call dude. Theres a bit of early am, better action in the pm for guys who dont have to work.

End of season pattern....

As the water gets colder and with the air temps being what they are, we will eventually transition to a point where the best bite is end of day...there is still an early morning surf bite, tide-dependent...but the dawn bite seems to have greatly dimiinished. Loiok for that pattern to continue and realize that the afternoons will now start to show as being more worth your time...
    Thanks fishinmission, I was talking about this way back on Dec 14...our patterns are all screwed up this year, we have some unprecedented action,,,but this pattern is one that you can generally bank on for this time of year, at least for small schoolies.

Another pattern you new guys should be aware of is Full Moon obscured by clouds
    more in this thread when I get a chance....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...l+moon+fishing

Also...I don't want to put guys off by saying this.
    I'm happy for the ones who are catching. I'm seeing our members here catch a lot of the bigger fish....to me, that indicates you're paying attention to your logs and seasonal variations...
    But to me, back bay bait fishing in the spring, is relatively easy...
    IF you keep detailed logs and put in your time to understand bait and fish migration...

It's a given that every year, they will (usually) be at location A, B, C, D, E, and F in a logical sequence....

If you keep detailed logs and obsessively pay attention to bait migration (like I do) , you will see they follow the same "highways" every year....and when they veer off those highways, it's relatively easy to predict when and where.

Granted, some of us are out there, and we don't always catch...to me that's part of fishing...anyone who always claims to catch fish, from land, every trip, is flat out lying, or else they're timing their trips to coincide with phone calls and cell phone chains...

The point is, even with the best planning, we don't always find what we're looking for....
    For me, I'm primarily looking for fish, but it's the solitude, enjoyment of nature, being at one and seeing the awesome power of God and his creations, these are all the amazing things that draw me out there as well, and to me, it's best enjoyed where there are less crowds.

I know the back bay areas tend to draw crowds early season....so I generally have a plan where I can fish elsewhere....

I was explaining to a friend the other day how I usually don't run around chasing the spring bunker blitzes...for one thing they happen when I have to work, and the other thing that turns me off is the crowds....

Anywhere there is not likely to be a crowd, is where ya might find me fishin...

Default Salute to the members and friends who are hitting it hard....

I have always been a little uncomfortable with praise and acclaim...
    I have found a lot of fish over the winter....
    Some have sniped about that, and in some internet forums made comments that could best be described as petty jealousy....

In a way, it makes it so you are a little hesitant sharing a night when you get double digit fish...and ultimately tend to be more inclined to share those numbers with the guys you also know, who are doing as well. Those who know me know I have a pretty thick skin, and have cultivated a persona for myself as a larger than life character. It's easy for me, because I'm the same crazy character both on the internet and off.

A lot of the folks I am in contact with regularly, who catch numbers and good sized fish, are not reporting it, not weighing in at tackle shops, and really hate the internet and what it has done to the learning curve in fishing...most of us learned the hard way, and still, when we have good nights, may have to work for every fish. Even for those of us who fish a lot, it's a very rare night when you have "a fish on every cast".

I love that kind of quiet isolated fishing, and seem to gravitate toward it more and more lately...if everyone is fishing at location A....I'll try to go to location C, just for the solitude...

What I really want to focus on here, is the efforts of friends, and members who have been posting here...

I know you all are out there at night, hitting it hard...and every time you catch a teen to 25# class fish this Spring, out there alone by itself at night, that is note-worthy.

You,(collectively) who have been out there in the cold, rain, windy nights, and generally sloppy and unpleasant conditions, who have suffered through countless skunkings and nights where the only way you would come home with a fish is to stop at the Acme on the way home....,,,yet you have been out there anyway,,,,making your own reports, and knowing that it would only be a matter of time before the fish would turn on....

To you folks out there....I salute you all..and your efforts..
    Remember that posting a report here, even if you got the skunk, there is no shame...I post my skunk reports all the time, it's part of fishing for me...

To the guys who are just starting out, if you see someone here who is consistently catching fish...try to learn from them....ask them questions politely, and they just might help ya a bit....remember that a lot of us learned to fish without the internet..don't be surprised if they are only slightly helpful and not willing to give the store away....

But keep at it, keep a detailed log, and eventually you will see how it makes a difference...
    Good luck out there, folks. There are a lot of nice fish to be caught...so go out and have some fun..... (and please remember to bring your trash home with you when possible)....

Default Notable Spring triggers for NJ

Some of these are for the ocean, some for the bays...I'll leave it up to you folks to figure it out...

There are those who feel I'm making it too easy on the new guys...
    So this post may not be up for too long...

I'll try to leave it up until we get the site bugs fixed....and you are able to use the search key to find all the informative threads we have on these topics....
    After that it may disappear depending on how many grouchy comments I get back-channel....

Spring Triggers....

1. The first Noreast pattern when the season opens.
    2. A few sunny days in a row...
    3. Dramatic drop in barometric pressure preceding a pending storm system.
    4. The sudden upward shift of bay temps to where they consistently hold between 45-50 for more than a few days.
    5. The shift in ocean temps to where they are steadily at 45 deg and trending upward..
    6. The abundance or absence of cold dirty water
    7. Gathering of herring in certain harbors and ports
    8. The arrival of bunker in back bay areas.

Note how the bunker was the last one. Is it significant that while others place such a value on it, it's listed last here?

You tell me....

Anyone who understands the first 6 triggers I listed, doesn't need my advice.....they're already out fishin somewhere when a combination of two or more of those factors are in play......

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast