Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
If it's more then $20 I won't buy it I'm past the point where the lure catches me if I want a special coloration I'll buy a kit and do it myself or redo a beater I have laying around it doesn't need to be showcase material I really don't belive the fish are that picky. I catch more fish on my Superstrikes,Gibbs,Hopkins and bucktails.
I think this is a good way of looking at it. For a fisherman who is just starting out they cannot see that. There are certain plugs that everyone believes will catch fish. The newer ones read that and say that is what they want. This could be a self-fulfilling prophesy. If they believe in it they will pay more attention and perhaps do better. I read it in another post.
The key is confidence in what you are using surfstix, and I agree with everything that you said. . If you really know the fish and the situations you can catch as many big fish on a bucktail. Somehow in NJ it seems the folks do not use them as much. However on a boat a bucktail with the right size pork rind or grub will get you more fluke and large strioers than almost any plug out there. Folks should cast what they want and whatever gives them the best degree of confidence.