Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
One night I met up with Dark and Mike O this past year, we caught a few Bass, they seemed to only want black teasers a certain size.
For teasers I use Deceivers and the small rubber tails for Avas.
If there are blues around I take the teaser off, but I have had times when it seems the teaser is all a blue would want.
Some good observations there Monty. A lot of the fishing world focuses on the "bigger is better" theory.
If that were consistently true, you would never see fly fishermen catching fish.

There are times in our area, when small forage is dominant. I probably want to say more about this, will try to compose some thoughts in Roddy's thread.....For this thread, I'll just add my observations, that for NJ, with the exception of the bunker and herring, small forage dominates over half the months of our fishing season.

There are plenty of times when the forage (mostly) consists of spearing, rainfish, grass shrimp, or a combo of these.
I think that night we all fished together was a great example of that. I'm still not sure what they were feeding on that night but it was very specific, so specific that they wouldn't touch a 4" teaser. Only the smallest ones got any action.

These situations are some of the most exciting for me when it comes to fishing.....
because if you don't figure it out just the right way, you go home without ever knowing the fish were there....

That night it was all about the small teasers...without downsizing we never would have caught a fish...as hard as we were trying....
Funny thing about bluefish too....many guys will talk about how easy they are to catch...will hit anything.....

Not when they are feeding on small forage at night....I've found them to be extremely picky....will not hit anything artificial outside the range of the size they are feeding on....have even had to downsize plugs from 6" to 4", just to get them to hit....

Surfstix does make some beautiful teasers....not only that, they hold up to assault after assault by predators....