Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Awesome report monty you finally got some great fishing in congrats! I figured wrong today and thought they would be in the ocean with the outgoing. It was nasty and windy. I tried with an ava27 but no dice. Skunk city. Should have tried the bay on the way home. Bad fishing when surf is rough like that. Thanks for mentioning the temps hookset and finchaser it did seem to be pretty cold today.

5-20-13 Monty Marathon

AM - Got to the beach late, missed the best part of the tide.
    First cast saw some active bait and casted towards it, 5lb bluefish on that cast. That became the first cast curse, not another fish for 2 hours when I managed 3 more, all on metal.

Kind of dissatisfied with those results, I stopped on the way home at a back bay area that is known for holding early season bluefish. It had been dead every time I checked lately.

It was so far back in the bay I didn't have a lot of hope.

But the fish were there, and in the next 2 hours managed 11 to 7# on various types of metal. Funny how they wouldn't hit poppers....hey that's fishing....
    Nice action as I missed a few as well, lots of fun.

PM - decided I wasn't finished and spent the next 5 hours at night looking for bass. Not a touch for me.

mini vacation over They are headed north catch em up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	17040

pretty work SH. Send em up north we're in a holding pattern now. Fished oc tonight, bad wind and water buck and pork skunk city for me.

Fished SH ...5 to 8 hit a few spots saw some bunker swimming around that's it.

5-21-13 Tue PM
    Fished the bay for the ocean bluefish that had started showing up on Mon. Ran into a few sitemembers out there.
    We all gave it our best but apparently couldn't even put a bluefish catch together.

JB was furiously working the fly rod, a sea robin saved him from the skunk. His little bro was high hook and managed 2 bluefish on metal.
    V and I got nothing. The water seemed dirty and filthy from the rain. The amounts and sizes found the day before just were not there.

After that I fished the ocean for 5 hours, working all levels of the water column. Surf was a little rough but fishable. . No action at all for me. Still a beautiful night out there...great to be out and working the water.

Practice is exactly what I need. Tonight I went out. was fishing with clams and bunker. I rigged one of my rods with a bucktail but I wasn't quite set up. I should have used my 9 foot rod but it was rigged with bait and in the water, so I used my 11' rod but ...well just not right. I did manage one 34 -1/2" striper though. Released to fight another day.Attachment 17043Attachment 17044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130522_183943.jpg   20130522_183935.jpg  

this AM 5 to 7 Am released 3 bass and 7 bluefish all on jig head and rubber shaker tail

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Oh man Im back in the office where my emails exceeded 200 but something from the one day's blitz conditions keeps replaying in my head over and over, thinking about that plug drifting to the near 45 degree postion, all but stop the reeling, twitch twitch TWAP Something about knowing your going to get slammed. The other great part was the hook set, teen fish immediaty ran The mid 20s held their ground in the current for a good 5 secs on the set, if I didn't feel them bash it you'd think it was a snag, so dialed in knowing it was a good fish. This was the bite I had been waiting for a long time, my best ever, and somehow I pulled it off before the crowds arrived eventually. Like my buddy said a few days earlier on his best day, you just sit there laughing. When I pulled a 30" weakie out of the bass I literally was luaghing out loud. I had two rip the hooks off the SP minnows which also was very amusing at the time but not so funny later. Although I changed out those hooks I kept the split rings, I'd advise changing them now of course. Im sure everyone else hears it, mostly from girls why why why do you have to go out again, for me it was all about knowing the plug was presenting right twitch twitch SLAM, that will keep me burning gas and sleepless moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Practice is exactly what I need. Tonight I went out. was fishing with clams and bunker. I rigged one of my rods with a bucktail but I wasn't quite set up. I should have used my 9 foot rod but it was rigged with bait and in the water, so I used my 11' rod but ...well just not right. I did manage one 34 -1/2" striper though. Released to fight another day.Attachment 17043Attachment 17044

Very nice report good looking striper!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Oh man Im back in the office where my emails exceeded 200 but something from the one day's blitz conditions keeps replaying in my head over and over, thinking about that plug drifting to the near 45 degree postion, all but stop the reeling, twitch twitch TWAP Something about knowing your going to get slammed. The other great part was the hook set, teen fish immediaty ran The mid 20s held their ground in the current for a good 5 secs on the set, if I didn't feel them bash it you'd think it was a snag, so dialed in knowing it was a good fish. This was the bite I had been waiting for a long time, my best ever, and somehow I pulled it off before the crowds arrived eventually. Like my buddy said a few days earlier on his best day, you just sit there laughing. When I pulled a 30" weakie out of the bass I literally was luaghing out loud. I had two rip the hooks off the SP minnows which also was very amusing at the time but not so funny later. Although I changed out those hooks I kept the split rings, I'd advise changing them now of course. Im sure everyone else hears it, mostly from girls why why why do you have to go out again, for me it was all about knowing the plug was presenting right twitch twitch SLAM, that will keep me burning gas and sleepless moving forward.

I have never had a night like that sounds awesome! What were you using if you don't mind my asking was it the lures only or did anything else work like bucktails or shads? Thanks for the report you gave me hope!
    I fished lbi from 6-7:15 this morning I was using bunker chunks. It was very windy I got one skate but gave up because it wa s crazy wind out there.

Awesome report sharkhart truely jealous. It looks like your hand was run over by a truck.

Really great news wll be out there this weekend fighting the crowds and hope to get some fish. Good luck to everyone.

WOW!

Nice going sharkheart sounds like you crushed them!
    I fished nomoco this morning from 5-7 incoming tide there were some blues there. Had fun with them on metal.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Nice going sharkheart sounds like you crushed them!
    I fished nomoco this morning from 5-7 incoming tide there were some blues there. Had fun with them on metal.
    What cowherder said, sounds like you were in the Striper Zone sharkheart
    cowherder nice job with da blues.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Shark,

It sounds like you had an incredible week.

Be careful of infection! If the wounds burn when you wash your hands your at high risk for an infection!

I know someone who almost lost their hand over a small infected cut.

I used SP Minnows. i could have used other plugs or even shads i think would have worked, but the SP tight waddle was good with the way we were catching them at the barely reel and angles.

Yes the hands burned, the second night I only got a few luckily lol. I once before got jabbed by the dorsal and my finger was swollen good for 3-4 days from whatever bacteria on it.

I got so tore up from bigger fish taking those smallish SPs straight down though. A little dangerous but several times just pulled the trailer hook downward under gill, then lifted the leader and plug through the mouth. I detached the plug twice through the gills. They were fine but that razor blade under the gill gets you good. But if anyone does not know that trick, its much faster sometimes, just careful with the trebles.

As if its not already clear, the biggies have arrived to the north and I love a good NW for the surf

5-24-13 Report
    Started way before sunrise in a back bay area that has held some blues and weakfish.
    Not a tap in the darkness, working all levels of the water.

finally some bluefish action started. very small blues.
    3 1/2 hours for 5 fish, painfully slow pick on metal.

Eventually the action turned on, and in the next 2 hours after that managed another 21 for 26 total. They also got a bit bigger to 5#. Was hoping some of those bigger ocean blues would still be around that far back in the bay but no such luck. Still, it was a lot of fun. A hardy few of us had great action..... often missing fish as they were tentative and aggressive at the same time (not aggressive enough to hit top water, though)

Ran into V, had a blast fishin with him, some old timers (who out-fished all of us), and a "new" old-timer who was not catching and we kept giving him pointers till he scored a few. They weren't that easy to catch until the height of the action.
    He reminded my of my Dad, now deceased. Although his words of thanks and appreciation were a lot nicer than my Dad usually was....still, it was nice way to honor the memory of my Dad, for the upcoming Fathers Day....and this new friend appreciated us inviting him to fish alongside us and us trying to help him.

In all, fishing a very active (finally) bite with some good people,...with the weather keeping away the crowds (at times the wind gusts were 25mph which eventually drove us off the beach...)...Priceless....

Are you sure you didn't have one of your friends run over your hand with a truck for dramatic emphasis here?
    Just busting....great action...the pain that ya feel, every time you move those fingers, will bring you back to that action ya had....outstanding job.

....and I love a good NW for the surf
    Yep, rolling out the new SharkHart Weather service by the end of the year.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...nly-4-95-MONTH!!!

Nice action and report Shark...you find bites like that once in a great while. I can tell you folks reading his report that SH does not exaggerate...he managed to find a few nights of incredible action....and kept it quiet until it was drying up....good job....I know you did your research and homework, glad to see how it paid off for ya.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast