Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

I fished early this morning and caught 2 blues on metal in moco. They always put up a good fight.

Went fluke fishing yesterday, caught sea robins and shorts.

Buddy got a skinny 17.5"

Default Re: NJ Fishing pics

June 23 2013...AM trip

After the previous mis-hap the night before, I was out the next night with a flea-market $30 Fin Nor Ahab (all metal body) while I worked on fixing the bail spring of the other reel I had been using.

It appeared there were a few fish around. It also appeared I had gotten there too late in the tide to see any sustained activity, as the back bay areas are nororiously tide dependent. The best I could manage was 2 missed fish on rubber. Kind of interesting that they would hit plugs the night before and now it was a rubber only game......

**These are some of the things I talk about in being prepared to adapt as conditions change....
    What worked yesterday, may not necessarily work today....and if you are not prepared to adapt you will not catch....

In this case I stubbornly held on to my desire to plug...plugging is one of the most exciting ways of catching fish for me....

My procrastination and stubbornness in switching over probably cost me some fish.....
    Despite all the years of experience I have, I can still be stubborn...
    I say this about myself, to try to encourage others out there who may be doing this...that not being receptive to trying new things....may definitely cost you some fish one night.....I gladly share my mistakes here so others can learn from them...food for thought....

I ended that trip with a

June 23 2013......PM trip

The next night I set out earlier....
    Not knowing exactly when in the tide the fish were feeding strongest, I was determined to figure it out....

**This is something that typically happens when there are less fish around...when there are high numbers of fish and different types of forage...in my experience the feeding times can be patterned...IE if you find fish feeding at a particular stage of the tide one night, you can sometimes come an hour later the next, and find the same behavior again....

When you find a pattern,,,this can hold for a decent amount of time, until conditions change....
    Unfortunately, with less fish around overall, even schoolies, it becomes an exercise in frustration to try to find a strong pattern....
    As I have explained to some of ya's out there...if I do find what looks like it might be a pattern one night...at the most it may last 2 nights....and then I'll have to fugure it out all over again......

This has not been a common experience for me in years past when there were more fish around.,...it was a lot easier to figure and see fish behavior with more fish, and a lot easier to find them,, based on that....now...not so much....

Based on the above frustration, I dedided to fish the whole tide this next night, and both slack tides, to see if it was any different....
    And I did find fish this time....
    By fishing the whole tide, I found that the strongest feed, was for an approximate 1/2 hour period during that tide......

Total:
    I landed one short bass
    , and missed a few others.....all on rubber....

After that 1/2 hour period, the bite declined rapidly.....
    Still, I stuck around for the whole tide,,,to see how things would end up.....

7 hour trip, just to find a half hour feeding window, at that location.....

A few of my friends have been doing exceptionally well fluking in the surf....
    It ain't always easy....as a lot of fishermen are reporting short fluke and the occasional keeper...

One such friend, who puts in a lot of time....consistently nails keepers almost every trip out there.....
    This is a pic of one of the nice fluke he got the other day........later weighed in at 5#.
    Look at the mouth and how big it opens....there is no doubt that some of the bigger fluke are formidable predators, some even capable of swallowing bunker heads....

Attachment 17299

Attachment 17298
    **(have been getting behind in posting pics...will try to post these and the previous ones when I get a chance....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3987.jpg   IMGP3989.jpg  

Nice reports fellas at least someone is out there fishing! I fished cape may sun morning. Hit the jetties hard with 1/2 oz bucktail and gulp. Managed 3 weakfish to 20" they really love that pink gulp!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I thought Skates did not have barbs on their tails only stingrays did???? This one had a very definitive barb on it's tail. Yep that's me in the pic- no macho man there.... the macho guy was taking the pic for me.
    I am not sure rob but from what I have read there are lots in the ray family that have barbs on the tail. It sticks out from the base of the tail. When they swash there tail around if it hooks in your skin you could get an infection. Nice report and catch but be careful!

Sick of the bluefish in the back. There are lots and lots of them some are over 15lbs. Dark pm me if you want to hook up with some of these devils. I decided to use gulp for fluke today and fish out front. Set out with a double rig, with a round 1 oz sinker on bottom. Fished chartreuse gulp the small shad kind in nomoco from 4-5:45 part of the incoming tide. Picked up 3 fluke to 18". One was a keeper. Will be eating fluke sandwiches tonight. rob great ray pic and john love the crab reports always make me hungry.

Nice! kedhead comes to the surfside look out for flying bunker! Things should get interesting now, look forward to running into your crew one night.

Full moon fishing last nite. Awesome fishing but the catching part sucked.

I know boat fish don't count but a friend and I have had some decent trips at night in the back of Raritan bay, from Romer back to the triangle. Livelining bunker in the channels. Bass to 26#. We released most of them but kept a few. Stomachs have been filled with bunker and a few croakers. Not much else. Tight lines.

Thanks for the heads up cappy. Romer is a well known spot where they stage after the spawn. Sometimes they can be there for up to 5 weeks. Surprised it took some of the professional capts so long to figure it out. Fished nomoco from 6:30 - around 9ish incoming tide. Few small blues on magdarter and one aggressive short fluke that just missed keeper size.

I fished from 5pm till now in Somoco and had no takers. I hate the crowds will have to try to get there early morning next time

June 26 2013 Pics and report....

I went the next night after that previous night that was so disappointing with one fish....
    I felt I had a slightly better handle on the part of the tide when the fish would be active....
    Only fished 3 hours that time....
    The action was a little more sustained...throughout that 3 hour period I had action for 1 1/2 hours.....

Attachment 17300

Total:
    Managed 3 short bass, missed a few others...

2 of the bass hit rubber.
    1 hit a swimmer, missed a few other bass on that plug as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3997.jpg  

I tried something different today fished the part of island beach where you don't have to pay you can just walk on. Fished from 4 to 6am before work. Used smll hooks and clams. I got one 23" striper at 4:15 and then some blowfish were hitting till 6 when it stopped. I think it was low tide then. All on small hooks and pieces of clam.

Nice baitstealer glad to see blowfish are still around.

Well I tryed again this morning same time it seemed the tide was even lower. I didnt catch anything on my clams except for a skate. All the magic fishing that I found yesterday disappeared. I did meet an older gentleman there with a keeper striper. He uses clams and says he gets keepers fairly regularly. He said I should try more closer to the high tide so I will do that next time. It was nice that some folks are willing to be helpful to us newbies.

Fished some sod banks last night, last 2 hours of incoming. Conditions were picture perfect. Managed to find a place that was protected from the wind. No dice for me.

Fished nomoco this morning, 7-11:30. Picked up 4 fluke on pink gulp. One keeper, 18". Not a lot of other activity was watching the boats for a while before I left they were catching lots of sea robins and the occasional short fluke.

Nice going steve way to catch!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast