Thread: casting eggs: tell me about them

Default casting eggs: tell me about them

I wanted to learn more about these, supposably the older fishermen used to use them. They say they are great in rough surf.
    Is there anyone here who has has success with them?
    What is the best water tu use them in, and with flies or soft plastics for the best bite?
    Do you make your own or buy them from a guy like sri?

Here are some pics I found.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casting egg.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	10596

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casting_egg2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	10597

Attach a 3 ' leader to one and a fly when cinder worm hatch occurs in bays and rivers.Most of the time it is all bass will hit unless you using a fly rod

3' leader and a rubber shrimp works well for weakfish

Can substitute anything light the casting egg acts as a weight but since it floats it keeps offering in upper water column

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Attach a 3 ' leader to one and a fly when cinder worm hatch occurs in bays and rivers.Most of the time it is all bass will hit unless you using a fly rod
    Thanks for the info, very informative, does anyone know when the cinder worm hatch is, and do they repeat it for all the summer months or just a few?

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Thanks for the info, very informative, does anyone know when the cinder worm hatch is, and do they repeat it for all the summer months or just a few?

Worms hatch on all the full moons

Good innfo in Rip pluggers thread on Balls and eggs
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=6722

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Re: casting eggs: tell me about them

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post

3' leader and a rubber shrimp works well for weakfish

Can substitute anything light the casting egg acts as a weight but since it floats it keeps offering in upper water column

proof that it works especially in rough water. I have caught schoolies from the NJ surf using this method in the fall.

Default Re: casting eggs: tell me about them

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    proof that it works especially in rough water. I have caught schoolies from the NJ surf using this method in the fall.

Awesome!!! I am so pumped! I ended up getting both the 1 and 2 oz as shipping was more than the egg I figured I mine as well get 2. Thanks for posting the video. I am busy tying for the fall run!