Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for June 2013....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Me too, I really want to go fluking in the bay.
    Me too, not sure if i'll be out in the am, or afternoon. looking to get some fluke also. going to take home a sea robin, i'm curious on how they taste.

fished LBI last night on the outgoing tide. (I just can't seem to find a site that gives me accurate tide information for where I fish!!!) anyway, the tide was outgoing. The current was ripping again. I could not hold bottom with 6oz. Now the one caveat is that I had my family with me and I knew their attention span would be low. So I picked a hole on a beach that is close to the entrance to the island. I see a bunch of cars on that street and a few streets in both directions. so I end up parking 5 streets away. I get onto the beach and there are people lined up all the way to the hole. I figure it's almost dark those people will leave and I will move. Nope- didn't happen. So I was forced to fish less than ideal water. Oh well- , anyway, like I said I couldn't hold bottom with 6 oz. I was fishing 2 poles. I broke one down and just held my last pole. At one point the current weakened or started pulling strait but by that time it was too late the tide was way down. I was probably in inches of water. I walk over to the family. "Do you guys want to go home?" "YES" was their speedy reply. oh well, what ya gonna do????

Fished this morning 1:15-10:15. First cast a blue about 3 lbs on a metal lip swimmer. That was it for some time .
    Met up with Dark a couple hours later. Had a great time as usual fishing with him. I'll take the goog title for this trip between us
    Was tough catching, I think I ended up with 6 or 7 small blues, most caught on a teaser in front of a popper. A couple sea robins. Many, many, many casts .
    Was 1x I missed a blue on successive casts on teaser in front of a pencil, Dark said change to a SS popper, he predicted a hook up on next cast, next cast with ss hooked up on teaser (nice call).
    Was fun, appreciate the laughs and then the discussions on fishing we had (never hurts to learn a few things), thanks Dark.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Behind on some reports........

6-6-13 Thu AM

Did a Monty marathon last night fished eight hours... Managed 6 bass to 10 pounds one hour before first light... swimmers and bucktail did it.

Then I made a move so I could get some blue fish .... Managed 17 to five pounds throwing needle fish fish and poppers... The Bluefish were harder to catch than the bass.... they were really picky.

They did love the madcaster needlefish....that day they were hitting topwater and some launched themselves out of the water to kill madcaster's needlefish....it accounted for the majority of the fish that day....also lost a few nicer ones due to googan error.

Pics to follow...

Total 6 bass to 10#
    17 blues to 5#.

6-7-13 AM
    Before I set out on my AM trip made a quick stop at an old favorite place....managed 3 small blues in the dark at 1am...small swimmer.
    Then I ran into a couple that needed help.....some of ya's know that story....the rest I'll put up in installments as I get time.....

I did lose some valuable fishin time, and did pretty poorly after that....spent 3 hours to catch one bluefish on metal.....
    and 7 aggressive sea robins.........

The wind and weather were pretty bad from the storm and conditions were less than optimal.
    This wise old grouchy basstid that I know suggested I stay home in bed....but then who would have helped the folks that needed it? ...Even the Coast Guard wouldn't come out.......
    Total....
    4 bluefish to 4#...7 sea robins to 3#...

6-8-13 AM

Went out again still having delusions that I could find some fish. Was not successful....windy and by then the ocean water had become unfishable......no hits at all for me.....
    Later on I ran into a friend of Chuckwagon Chuck (RIP)....and also Jim Cousins.....It's a great day when I run into the old-timers and listen to what they have to say....

6-9-13 AM

Went out for a few hours to make the pre-sunrise bite. Got a little delayed due to putting new braid on the rod. That was to be my undoing as I failed to produce any decent fish and lost some time being a googan due to my haste in putting the braid on.....

Ran into Monty.....
    FYI - ask him what energy drink he favors and buy stock in the company.....
    He is a non-stop dynamo of action...pretty animated for an old fart......

He managed to find the coolest dead stuff you guys have seen in a while...don't know if he's going to post it all at once or put it up piecemeal....but I think he really goes fishing to find dead stuff....the fishing, and catching, is secondary.....
    I did pretty poorly.....Monty had the hot hand....the water was dirty where we were, and the temp drop took away the aggressive behavior of the fish, temporarily.......we worked real hard for those fish we caught......it was slower than a slow pick...but we gave it our best anyway.....
    Always a pleasure running into the fishing maniac.....he runs circles around guys half his age.....
    Total for me....
    1 bluefish, one sea robin......
    Monty crushed those numbers.....I don't think he stopped fishing for more than 30 secs the whole time, and that was to take a leak....
    The important thing is that the fish just were not there in numbers at that time....and we picked away at them anyway.....
    Fishin near Monty pushes it to the limits.....

IMO a few tide changes should bring things back to normal...and put the blues on the topwater bite again, which I find exciting and look forward to.....

JBarbosa, awesome crabbing report and the pics made me hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    . I walk over to the family. "Do you guys want to go home?" "YES" was their speedy reply. oh well, what ya gonna do????
    Rob, it is hard to keep the little ones interested unless they are catching.....and the bluefish are perfect for that....but they haven't been that consistent this year.....it's even difficult to pattern bluefish behavior this year....they are in the inlets and rivers one day, sluggish the next....

In years past there were places where you could bring your family to for 4-8 weeks at a time and have fun catching bluefish....now to be consistent you have to offer them bunker and fish at night....very tough year...IMO....and as a result I feel bad for all the Dads and families out there who want to take their children out for a combined beach and bluefishing day.....

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    also. going to take home a sea robin, i'm curious on how they taste.
    I'm gonna post a tutorial, how to cook sea robin tails, Italian style.....or make fish cakes with sea robin tails.....just for you.... ....ya smart azz!
    Took the pics last night, robin tails are now marinating......will try to post pics soon.....

Well at least someone is catching and having fun and those crabs look delish!
    I fished cape may today the surf calmed down a bit used clams and only two dogfish.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Me too, not sure if i'll be out in the am, or afternoon. looking to get some fluke also. going to take home a sea robin, i'm curious on how they taste.
    I hope you did better than my brother and I with the fluke. We tried for a good three - four hours on the kayaks and only got two croakers (not even a sea robin ). We must have covered a few miles of water from 6-25ft of water.

The water was still very stained and visibility was extremely low in some areas.. There was big bluefish around all day harassing scattered bunker. It was tough fishing for them in the dirty water but I found that they really like crushing the big 9" sebile magic swimmer in white when it's skimmed on the surface.

Left the fish grips in the car
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	17184

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	17185

i hoped to fish 3 days in a row but Friday was a wash, Thurs crushed the flukies around the tide change thursday in river on kayak most were 12-14" but oddly enough once the incomming started a few 23-24" showed up landed 1 dropped 2 at yak side, boat next to me got two same size, I must have had 35 fish total and a huge star gazer, fun to land on kayak. So then racked the Yak headed north and a sizeable bass blitz broke out and was headed into a beach cove, got almost in range and went down.

Sat afternoon motor powered started with bad brown water to a 1/2 mile out, did not see a boat from Squan until Red Church, saw maybe 5 all day. Fluke bite was dead, 2 shorts only. Saw no bunkies the whole way. The incomming started to clean up and it was hail mary territory but the magic hour was coming. found the bass stacked up tight on a ledge willing to hit lures swept over the edge, had a good bite going but in a tight spot. Then they finally boiled some bunker up a few hundy yards away. I had a memorable cast into crashing bass they were fighting for it cartwheeling on my pencil, all I saw was tails and backs before coming tight after about 7 misses.

Look at the mouth on mine

Name:	988534_4984989711842_240894915_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	17186

we got this one too

Name:	1000056_4984959631090_537010277_n.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	17187

Awesome catches guys! John if you ever have a extra space at the table please invite me! I got sick of fishing nomoco with the plovers and the crowds on the beaches so I fished somoco for the incoming tide yesterday at 7-9pm. Picked up one little guy 24" on storm shad, safely released in the water. This is a bad year for me where is all the baitfish that normally swims in the wash?

late report -Went down to Island beach before the weekend because B&N was reporting bunker were "all over". Well I don't know where he gets his reports from because when I went there there was nothing. Fished it for 2 hours right before the park and nada. Stopped at the MI on the way back and fished there, nada as well.
    Nice catches guys! Shark what did that fish weigh? Awesome! Barbosa I want an invite to your next crabfest forget about cowherder he is an amatuer. I am the world renowned expert on eating crabs!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    6-7-13 AM
    Total....
    4 bluefish to 4#...7 sea robins to 3#...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I'm gonna post a tutorial, how to cook sea robin tails, Italian style.....or make fish cakes with sea robin tails.....just for you.... ....ya smart azz!
    Took the pics last night, robin tails are now marinating......will try to post pics soon.....

You took 7 sea robins out of the biomass? Isn't there a limit on sea robins? Why did you need to take so many, dark. I read where you ate the eggs too so they are spawning fish. Why didn't you let the sea robins spawn before you killed them. You animal. Are you going to tell us you were giving the extras to the poor, come on dude.
    You are a meatman!

I say jbarbosa has a crab and clam bake at his house at the end of summer. He charges $20 a head and we bring our own booze. I'll bring 2 cases of brewskis and some smooth bourbon. Cigars optional. What do you say, JB?

I love checking in here for reports. Another site has 26 pages of banter unrelated to reports, pissing contest about what is the best wind, and how to tell which direction the wind is coming from. Shouldn't that be in it's own thread? Here you have 5 pages of reports already in the first week of June and most of it is about fishing. What a concept. Fishing reports where fishing is actually discussed and reported. Thanks for going out in all kinds of weather so I don't have to (just kidding) , you guys are hardcore.

I fished twice this weekend. back bay. Ocean county. Water was like chocolate milk. Fished shads and bucktail and grub, no dice.

Im down for a crab feast but not at my house...I heard you guys all smell

I think I can catch a crab or two

^^^I think it's just dark who allegedly smells. I don't, even take a shower once a day. Sometimes twice if I go fishing. I might come to Jersey if there was a shindig let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    late report -Went down to Island beach before the weekend because B&N was reporting bunker were "all over". Well I don't know where he gets his reports from because when I went there there was nothing. Fished it for 2 hours right before the park and nada. Stopped at the MI on the way back and fished there, nada as well.
    Nice catches guys! Shark what did that fish weigh? Awesome! Barbosa I want an invite to your next crabfest forget about cowherder he is an amatuer. I am the world renowned expert on eating crabs!

was bouncing around 32-33lbs, sounds weird but it was actually sorta "short" for its thickness. Note the arms are in a natural bent position We smiled and didnt J- bucktail our arms straight out this guys new to salt he wanted his biggie but we put 9 out of 11 back in the water.

Default Re: NJ Fishing pics

Frank and his 48.5 lb fish....
    Yes it was caught in a blitz...but the latest one lasted less than 20 minutes.....only a handful of fish were caught...and this was the biggest.....

He could have entered the Reel Seat contest with it....won a VS 200, or the CTS rod.....
    He could have entered the Berkeley Spring Tourney run around the same time.....Hundreds of $$ in prizes....
    There are still some tackle shops that have certificates of a few hundred $$ for the biggest Surf fish of the year....and this fish would have had a clear shot at #1......

Attachment 17190

He could have weighed it in for a video weigh in...
    or several tackle shops, and paraded it around on the internet......on every website and facebook surfcaster group out there.......

But some quick pics were taken. and he decided to put this big girl back in the water quickly.......

Outstanding job, Frank..........on the fish of a lifetime.....
    and the release........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48.5lb fish released june 2013.jpg  

^^^^^^^^^^^

I was there for that, they blitzed 2-3 casts out sliding north, and stopped short of a cove , he was south which i got to as he landed it, was just a 3 random blind fish which is a little better then a blitz he had some big time prodding to weigh it in, someone said that thing must be 40 lbs, I said I think its close to 50, i thought it was toast but he kept reviving it and off it went. it actually broke the line as he grabbed it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast