Have to be careful out there you never know when your number is up.

Bull shark takes bite out of New Jersey teen vacationing in Florida

Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., was badly chomped by a bull shark while fishing in waist-deep water in Sanibel, Fla.

Comments (9) By Ginger Adams Otis / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 6:03 PM
WNBC

Christian Mercurio, a New Jersey teenager, says he survived a shark attack while vacationing with his family in Florida.

A New Jersey teen on a fishing trip in Florida wound up as the catch of the day for a hungry shark.
Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., got his leg and foot badly chomped by a 6-to-8-foot bull shark last week while fishing in waist-deep swells in Sanibel, Fla.

RELATED: BOY SURVIVES SHARK ATTACK DURING SURFING COMPETITION “I felt like my feet were crushed by cement,” the teen told WNBC-TV.
He had no warning of the menace lurking in the warm shallow waters.
RELATED: VIDEO: HAMMERHEAD SHARK GIVES BIRTH ON BEACH

Amanda Cotton/Getty Images/iStockphoto
The bull shark that attacked Christian Mercurio was 6 feet to 8 feet.

Christian, 17, said he was bitten twice — and the big fish seemed to get more aggressive as he fought to get away.
“(It bit) once when I was fishing, and the second time when I was trying to run in,” he told WNBC.

RELATED: GOOD SAMARITAN USES 'SHARK WEEK' SKILLS TO RESCUE TEEN

On the beach, his mother Lisa Mercurio thought he was joking when she heard him yelling for help.
“My mom was like, ‘Don’t yell shark, you’ll start a panic,’” Christian said.
RELATED: SHARK FOUND ON N TRAIN WASHED UP ON CONEY ISLAND

WNBC

Luckily, 17-year-old's Christian Mercurio mother is a nurse who quickly wrapped the bite wounds he suffered from a bull shark in Florida.
Luckily, his mom is a registered nurse who sprang into action when she saw the vicious, serrated bite marks up and down his right leg and across his left foot.
She got his legs elevated and wrapped his wounds with beach towels donated by other swimmers.
The bull shark probably mistook Christian for a fish in the cloudy water, authorities said.
It missed hitting any major arteries, but left deep wounds in Christian’s ankles and legs.
Back home in Randolph, Christian recovered from his ordeal by watching “Shark Week” on the Discovery Channel.
“I spent the week having nightmares,” his mom said, describing the shark attack as “surreal.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2bxIiwPBv