Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Threaded View

Default Re: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2013

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    You can't fish the Ambrose Channel in a kayak that's a major shipping lane!
    I know you and others may find it hard to believe, but some of us really have screws loose, and get tired of the usual places most yakkers fish...after awhile launching at the small handful of popular spot just doesn't do it for us anymore, and we look for new challenges....
    I'm not saying that everyone should go out now in their yaks and fish Ambrose, but it has been done....
    These are the reasons I would rather do it at night and pick the nights when the shipping traffic is much less.....so at most you will have one or 2 ships a night you have to worry about....
    Again, I don't want to encourage anyone out there to do this...it's really not for the beginner, and you have to have a sober understanding of the consequences....not being aware could mean your death.....That's too much of a risk to try to explain to others....and the reason I would not encourage it....

However, you can see from the attached pic, that Eli was out there....
    Attachment 17391

**(This shot is not as severe as it seems because of the angle the pic was taken at)....he is actually further from the ship's path than he appears to be...anyone who knows the deep channels that Zig Zag back through the border of Staten Island would understand what I'm saying here.....
    I feel more comfortable doing it at night...but have had some close calls......

**You really have to gauge how far away the container ship is and make sure you are completely out of the zone when they pass by.....There is no 2nd guessing or waiting till the last minute...
    For this reason I would never encourage any others to try this as a mistake could lead to your death....

Eli and I have been yakking for years.
    I want to stress that if your skill set for any activity is such that it causes you to question if you will be able to to it successfully, you should not do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eli yakking the channel.jpg