Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    fished out front in LBI this morning. One short fluke on one of my teasers. The surf was active- saw flounder come completely out of the water chasing bait which looked like it could have been mullet. I have never known flounder to jump out the water (breech). Tide was low so fishing was concentrated to small holes found. Good thing is I got to find some decent holes during low tide, although one hole has a nasty patch of muscles that has claimed 2 of my rigs.
    Fluke will tend to do that rob when the bait is in tight and moving down the beach. I saw some mullet in the back last night but they were fast moving. In the surf they are easier for the fish to ambush and you will see a lot of that until the end of october. Of course we can't keep them at that time but they are still fun to catch as they are the biggest fluke of the year.

Hey at least you guys got some fish worthy of talking about. Fished somoco this morning around sunup. Got a double header of sea robins, then one more and snagged a skate, Metal and teaser. Rob I agree with what jigfreak said. When the bait is tight to the wash the fluke will hang there and at times you will see them jump clear out of the wash. Pretty cool siite to see.

yeah it was pretty wild- there were kings in the surf, probably craokers and spot too. An older guy was catching them on small hooks and bait- probably fishbites or clams- they were hitting my teaser but no hook ups- which is fine by me- I am gearing up in my mind for bigger bites of the striped kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    was my third night out this week where I had no fish and saved by the bell by that one weakie.
    Similar experience jigfreak. I decided to fish that one area on a hunch because I had seen some bait in the daytime. It paid off with some fish. Did the same routine last night and came up empty.

Fished 10 hours on boat today burnt about 125 gallons of fuel left 5:30 to troll found no bait no Bonita no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach). Caught a few weakfish on the mussels beds they were being hammered latter on by gillnetters even though they were illegal size. Heavy south blow Thursday and Friday dropped water temp to 65 in some spots today which may have pushed the Albert's further off shore

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

"burnt about 125 gallons of fuel " -sounds like an expensive day. sad to hear that it is bad out there.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Fished 10 hours on boat today burnt about 125 gallons of fuel left 5:30 to troll found no bait no Bonita no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach).
    I found the same thing tonight finchaser. I caught bass and blues the other night because it was loaded with bait. Tonight no bait no nothing just like a dead sea out there.

Came up empty again tonight too. 7-9pm outgoing tide out front moco. Swell seemed to have died down a bit but no bait and no fish for me.

Look at what's sitting behind a 15' drop off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	17558

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	17559

baitdid you catch em up? wow, 74 degrees- and yet no albies?????

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach).
    Finchaser is the bird dog for all of his friends who have boats. He's got an open invite on many of their rigs because he has a 6th sense when it comes to finding fish.

I remember being out there tuna fishin with him one time and he spotted tuna chicks without using binocs. The rest of needed binocs to see them, they were that far away. We got there and sure enough, got into some yellowfins. That's why he's in high demand when there is a tournament. They know if he fishes with them they have a good chance of placing in that tourney.

As mentioned, he has a 6th sense when it comes to finding fish, of any species...rarely does he have a day on a boat where he can't find fish. When that happens, you really do know that despite some of the reports, pickins are slim out there.....
    Sorry to hear that Pal...I know you tried....

The situation so far this Fall, is not that great.....fish deep in the channels, on specific lumps, bayside or oceanside, specific areas (Mud Buoy, Mud Hole) the rocky areas off Monmouth County, or specific times and tides at night, Other than fluke, there is not a lot happening so far......
    If you find actively feeding fish,
    1. You many find them for a night, and then they are gone....
    2. They have often been far out of reach of the surf crowd...
    3. The inshore abundance we are used to seeing, is just not here yet....

When you have guys fishing the Shrewsbury Rocks this time of year, there are usually scattered reports of bass from that area.......There haven't been...and there are a lot of good guys out there looking.......
    Also, the albies that a lot of us are hoping for, would have been abundant in the bluefish reports by now, and they are not....

Here's hoping the weeks ahead will get better.....When the mullet are consistently running tight to the beach all the above could change....hope that happens around this month's full moon, later in the week.

baitdid you catch em up? wow, 74 degrees- and yet no albies?????
    Rob,

We couldn't get anything to hit the water was so dirty.

Didn't see any bait around either.

So DS what you are really saying is that I don't need to find fish...all I need to find is Fin!

^^ Rob, to hear the Grouchy Old Basstid tell it....I can't find a fish to save my life....and have to mug him, to have any chance of catching....
    (he conveniently forgets when I do find em on a Fri, I sometimes end up sleeping in my car for a few nights like a hobo until that bite is over...when you're as old as he is you tend to forget the minor details like that.....)

John, posting all those juicy FF pics.....with no follow up....what a tease you are.. ..The best way I know to hit those few fish right now is to slow troll live spot from a yak....deep down....give it a shot....I may be forced to do that soon as well.....

A friend was out fishing 2 days this past week, same area you were in.... from the shoreline.
    He and a partner got 75 croakers and spot one day, 57 the next, from shore.....said they were concentrated around the drop-offs like you said....his furthest casts produced the best....A smart fisherman might take the yak out at night....and bring a bucket of live spot with him.......I would have been out there doing that but as you said the water has been dirty.....may clear up in the next few nights....good luck and thanks for the report......

IMO if you are in the bay fish the cleaner and cooler incoming water the out will remain dirty and warm as the nights cool it will get cold and dirty as the algae's in the back die and come out with the tide just my .02 reverse of spring.

went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. We had to stop in Browns Mills to pick up my new hitch rod holder that a guy made me. Then we hit the back bay with some blood worms. We got 1 small black sea bass, 1 eel and something pretty good sized- I wanted my son to bring it in so I got him to take the rod- he fought it for a few seconds and then it came un buttoned. I really wanted him to bring that fish in. We did not get anything else. Tide was coming in, it took 6oz to somewhat hold bottom (both my rods are rated for up to 4oz) I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.

went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. We had to stop in Browns Mills to pick up my new hitch rod holder that a guy made me. Then we hit the back bay with some blood worms. We got 1 small black sea bass, 1 eel and something pretty good sized- I wanted my son to bring it in so I got him to take the rod- he fought it for a few seconds and then it came un buttoned. I really wanted him to bring that fish in. We did not get anything else. Tide was coming in, it took 6oz to somewhat hold bottom (both my rods are rated for up to 4oz) I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.
    Go with DS on a marathon may take 2-3 days,4 tanks of gas and a few porto johns but he'll find you a fish plus you get to come home smelling like one it's the total package.

is that smell what they call "Eau de toilette "

went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.
    Best part of fishing right there is to have someone to enjoy it with. Great report thanks for sharing it. I fished cape may this weekend. Water not that great but did score a few kingfish and croakers on gulp bloodworms.

Nice report rob fishing with family is priceless. It's hard to keep the young folks interested nowadays. Good deal.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast