Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Hook access?

Default Re: Sandy Hook Updates

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    In the star ledger yesterday
    Even if the access is limited if north beach is open I will be very happy.
    Me too.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    In the star ledger yesterday
    Even if the access is limited if north beach is open I will be very happy.

Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger
    A month after Hurricane Sandy struck, officials at Sandy Hook couldn't say if the popular ocean beaches there would even open this year.
    Today, as crews continue cleaning up, officials said the goal is to reopen Sandy Hook which draws 2 million visitors each year this spring

A scaled-down version of the northern Monmouth County park should be open by Memorial Day, said Robert Hilton, executive director of the Jersey Shore Convention and Visitors Bureau. But the park may not have permanent restrooms or running water this season, he said.

Betsy Barrett, president of the Sandy Hook Foundation, said so far there are plans to open only three of the park's eight beaches: Beach B, North Beach and the clothing optional Gunnison Beach.

With fewer beaches open, the park will most likely have to limit the number of cars it can accommodate from about 5,000 vehicles to about 2,000 daily to avoid overcrowding, she said.

From the NPS site.
    The Sandy Hook Unit will open May 1st. Three beach areas, (B, Gunnison and North Beach) will open on Memorial Day weekend. The repairs to the wastewater treatment plant will not be finished by this date, so some beach areas may be serviced by temporary restroom facilities. The repairs to the ferry service and bike path at Sandy Hook may not be completed by Memorial Day weekend.

Ferry service that would be interesting. They did have an old ferry dock on the river side. Guess they will be disembarking at the dock near the coast guard station, east of the old pilings, if this does happen.

I'm glad that things will be opening up at the Hook. It's going to be interesting, like exploring a new beach with new sandbars and all new cuts in the bars. I for one am very excited about it. Just might be like the good old days. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    It's going to be interesting, like exploring a new beach with new sandbars and all new cuts in the bars. I for one am very excited about it. Just might be like the good old days. We will see.

I don't know heard it was one long sandbar post sandy. With all the storms we have had lately it could be interesting. Maybe some new cuts I agree mike can't wait to get out there either.

The latest info about permits. They will be available at GK in Staten Island first.

The 2013 Fishing and Nature Study permits will be available at the Great Kills Ranger Station beginning March 20th. The Ranger Station will be opened Wednesdays through Sundays from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm.
    Sandy Hook with the exception of a few beaches will be re-opened May 1, 2013.
    Sandy Hook will sell permits at the entrance starting May 1.

Might not be open May 1. This was in Al Ristori's column today -

"Riley stopped by Sandy Hook and found that the proposed May 1 opening of the National Seashore Park isn't going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Might not be open May 1. This was in Al Ristori's column today -

"Riley stopped by Sandy Hook and found that the proposed May 1 opening of the National Seashore Park isn't going to happen."
    Darn....thought it was to good to be true.....

Default Sandy Hook shut down 2013

Remember unlike Island Beach which is a State Park. Sandy Hook is Federal and closed until further notice.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

closed in ...you can't get past the front gate closed ????

Fin and I have a few friends who work there.
    Just talked to one of our friends today.

The barricades are already set up, no entry.
    The employees were told about the possibility ahead of time...but like many of us, were hoping it wouldn't happen.
    The friend I spoke to today, has been putting in a lot of extra hours helping to prep the barricade areas and the other things that needed attention pre-closure.
    That's good, because once the park is closed, he gets no paycheck...no unemployment....etc...as he related it to me, it's most likely short-term, and many of the park employees will not be paid for any time off.

After about a week, some of them will begin to suffer and feel financial pain.
    Most of these folks do not have the great benefits and perks that some of our state and municipal employees have....

Therefore, we are all hoping they can iron this out and get these folks back to work quickly....these federal employees didn't do anything to cause the current budget crisis, and it isn't fair they should have to suffer for it.....Just my opinion,.......

Thoughts and prayers that these people can get back to work and doing their jobs soon.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to fish up there when the fishing was better. Sandy Hook was closed for a few days in August 2011 due to sewage contamination from one of the storms.
    I think it was also closed in the winter of 95, about 3 weeks from the storms. Hoping all the people get back to work soon.

Found this, it was the winter of 1995

US government shutdown closes parks, monuments

Published: October 1, 2013 Updated 7 minutes ago
    2013-10-02T00:17:39Z
    By KATHY MATHESON and MARK SCOLFORO The_Associated_Press

PHILADELPHIA ? Visitors arrived to find "CLOSED" signs at the Statue of Liberty, the Smithsonian and other parks and historic sites across the country. Callers looking for help from the government reached only voicemail. And federal employees were left to wonder when they would return to work.

The first government shutdown in 17 years took hold Tuesday in ways large and small.About 800,000 federal employees were sent home ? a number greater than the combined U.S. workforces of Target, General Motors, Exxon and Google.

"After next week, if we're not working, I'm going to have to find a job," said Robert Turner, a building mechanic at the Smithsonian's American History museum in the nation's capital. He was called in for part of the day to take out the trash, turn off the water and help close up the place.

In New York, tourists who had hoped to see the Statue of Liberty were instead offered an hour harbor cruise."There has to be better ways to run the government than to get to a standstill like this," said Cheryl Strahl, a disappointed visitor from Atascadero, Calif. "Why take it out on the national parks?"

The government closings did not stop the launch on Tuesday of the enrollment period for the online insurance marketplaces established under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul ? the program at the very heart of the dispute that produced the shutdown.

Anglers headed to the highly anticipated first day of the fall fishing season on North Carolina's Outer Banks found they could not drive onto the beach at Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Dozens of goats were taken off ivy-eating duty at Fort Hancock, a recreation area in Sandy Hook, N.J.

A KKK rally planned for the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania this weekend was canceled.

"It's a terrible thing to hold the national parks hostage to bickering parties," Johannson said. "This is really sad. People have been saving to come here. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience."In Utah, rafting outfitters were not allowed on major rivers, and the state's five national parks closed during what is normally a busy time of year."We're dealing with a broken system, a broken Congress," said John Wood, president of Holiday River Expeditions. "They couldn't be doing more to run me out of businessScolforo reported from Harrisburg, Pa. Associated Press writers Thomas J. Sheeran in Valley View, Ohio; Felicia Fonseca in Flagstaff, Ariz.; Mitch Weiss in Charlotte, N.C.; Jill Zeman Bleed in Little Rock, Ark.; Brian Bakst in St. Paul, Minn.; Brett Zongker, Stephen Ohlemacher and Jessica Gresko in Washington; Marcia Dunn in Cape Canaveral, Fla.; Paul Foy in Salt Lake City; and Joseph B. Frederick in New York contributed to this report.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/10/...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    The government closings did not stop the launch on Tuesday of the enrollment period for the online insurance marketplaces established under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul ? the program at the very heart of the dispute that produced the shutdown.

Dozens of goats were taken off ivy-eating duty at Fort Hancock, a recreation area in Sandy Hook, N.J.

A KKK rally planned for the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania this weekend was canceled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1380659942000-AP-Budget-Battle-001.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	17630

Seems like it's the Dems fault with the obamacare crisis. Anyone find it tragic that the KKK rally was cancelled? I thought by this day and age they would find some way to prevent them. Stupid rednecks. Freedom of speech is one thing but the KKK is just evil.

Thought it was interesting that the priorrity for sandy hook was taking the goats off of ivy eating duty. lol

Yep and it's still on Obamas list of parks to permanently close down. My friend works for the water company there and was asked to think about relocation to another facility. That piece of sh_t should burn in hell with his heath care program for ruining this once great country.

Looking at my log, it shows that Sandy Hook was also closed for budget cuts back in early October, 1990, I was turned away. It musta been short lived, because I could get in the park a few days later.

Sometimes I am just amazed at what goes on in this country, especially in these so called sophisticated years. Here's that fine line again, extreme or just plain stupid.

What do you expect from republicans! They just want people to go bankrupt from healthcare costs, while they keep putting money in their own pockets. What a wonderful world we live in!!!

Pebbles , it obvious you voted for him and his lies and taxes hidden in the Obama care my premiums have already risen to conform and I may be taxed because I have good health care.
    to him

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    Looking at my log, it shows that Sandy Hook was also closed for budget cuts back in early October, 1990, I was turned away. It musta been short lived, because I could get in the park a few days later.

Sometimes I am just amazed at what goes on in this country, especially in these so called sophisticated years. Here's that fine line again, extreme or just plain stupid.

I'm going to go with stupid. Just too much stupidity and selfishness now a days.
    Unreal stupidity in both parties.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast