Update....it seems that some places have broken open dating back to 10-14-13......lots of bigger bass are being caught......
I saw some very impressive pics from some of ya's over the weekend...including a 53# some friends managed in the surf at Montauk.....

Trying to keep it real.....it seems to me the bite is very inconsistent.....

**As fin was trying to tell ya's..... there are lots of areas with no fish at all.....even if you are in a boat and can burn the fuel......

Everyone knows about the fish off the SS of LI by now....and the big body of fish that was 1-3 miles off NJ seems to have moved on.....
Congrats to all those people who are getting out and putting in their time.....

**I'm not trying to preach here....but there are an awful lot of bigger bass that are being harvested...
If you catch your personal best, and it's the fish of a lifetime.....by all means you should keep and eat it if you want....and many congrats to you.....but ....without passing judgement on anyone here....there seems to be a fever to catch as many of these fish as folks can......
"Get em before they leave" seems to be the marketing call of a lot of the party boats and charters....

I'm not afraid to stand up here and say that this type of fishing is unsustainable, over the long run....
Again...it's not my place to tell folks out there whether to keep bass or not...they are tasty.....and if you never caught a big one, no one should try to make you feel bad for catching and keeping one....

However, I am trying to find some time to finish the Striped Bass assessment thread we have here...for 2013...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...of-the-fishery
and overall, I can tell you that the best of the best, captains, old salts, and veteran anglers, who fish regularly....are noticing that the numbers of bass are just not there....

Although there is a big body of fish off the FI/ Jones area right now, there are less fish at Montauk....and if there were truly healthy numbers of bass, they would be all over as part of this Fall Migration that has started.....
That's the main point I'm trying to educate folks about,......as some really do think that if there is a large harvest, more will be "made"..
(I kid you not, someone sent me a link to a thread where someone states that as their belief..........)

So, without preaching, I am asking all the anglers out there....to consider educating yourselves about the state of the fishery....before it is too late.....thanks for reading.....