Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: washed up boats on SH

Holy moly! That does not look like fun.

No way I would fish that cluster eff. Looks like the saltwater version of opening day of trout season.

Paco I agree with you but how come they don't run aground. All I'm saying is If your unfamiliar with an area stay in channel and watch depth finder rules of road 101. they are not going to move a major shipping lane because a few assh_les can't drive a boat and stay in 30 to 40' of water

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    they are not going to move a major shipping lane because a few assh_les can't drive a boat and stay in 30 to 40' of water
    Thank you, sir. An honest man calling the shots as they stand. No sugar coating. If you run aground you are an a-hole and should be forced to get remedial classes. Like driver ed but only for boaters.
    I would never fish up there in those cluster **** conditions.

Ditto^^^

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    All comments are welcome...there is no right or wrong answer.......

** Caveat....I have since learned, from official sources, that something will be done with this channel, sometime within the next year....
    Not at liberty to say anything about that yet, until it is revealed through the proper channels....

Well you called that absolutely right. I was up at the hook after work tonight and the dredger is right there. Seems they are dredging the channel like you told me. The ranger kicked everyone out and said it would be indefinite. check it out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dredge.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	17711

with the dredging I was wondering if the green buoy will be moved?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	555-0154.jpg 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	555-0155.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	17876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	555-0156.jpg 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	17877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	555-0157.jpg 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17878

Just reported by Finchaser, the False Hook is allegedly going under the jurisdiction of Homeland security because of the proximity to the shipping lanes.
    Something about "possible exposure of cargo ships to potential terrrorist actions"

I don't have the whole story yet, but if true it's....
    1. Unnecessary
    2. Grandstanding
    3. Completely unfair to anyone who fishes that area....that area is as key to North Jersey fishing, as Montauk, is to Long Island fishing.......

I don't know how we'll be able to fight or protest this, folks...but if there is a way to do it, we should......
    Please keep us posted with updates, if anyone becomes aware of them.....thanks.....

This is for all the master baiters out there. Abandoned boat from sandy. If you are a night guy you know where.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails masterbaiting .jpg  

Got two stripers last night and a few small blues and hickories.

Small bluefish and hickories on my hammered tins and spearing teaser.

1 striper on a Redfin loaded by Monty.
    Attachment 18958
    1 monster striper that would have bottomed the boga.
    Attachment 18959Attachment 18960
    This big striper was later rescued by the red towing company out of highlands (forgot the name?).

No hits after the boat ran aground...lots of spot lights and headlights in the water called it quits.

He was running 30-40mph and went way up the beach. 2 guys onboard and both were not hurt. About 20 minutes later another guy almost beached himself as well. Both of these idiots did not have the proper night time running lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141021_190839.jpg   20141021_192303.jpg  

20141021_201833.jpg  

Its unreal how many boats do that, they must see the town is over there on electronics and just start turning.

Guys rely too heavily on charts which are notoriously bad for that point.... and when you are out in a boat it is more difficult to pick out land than you would think, especially for amateurs who don't run the area often in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Its unreal how many boats do that, they must see the town is over there on electronics and just start turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    Guys rely too heavily on charts which are notoriously bad for that point.... and when you are out in a boat it is more difficult to pick out land than you would think, especially for amateurs who don't run the area often in low light.
    Wow I guess fishermen need to start carrying airhorns. If this keeps happening it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Awesome reports fellas glad to see someone is catching. I went at night right before dark this week and got skunked. Back out this weekend hitting it hard!

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Wow I guess fishermen need to start carrying airhorns. If this keeps happening it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Awesome reports fellas glad to see someone is catching. I went at night right before dark this week and got skunked. Back out this weekend hitting it hard!
    don't need airhorns, just start shining your lights on everyone around you out there. make some friends

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Wow I guess fishermen need to start carrying airhorns. If this keeps happening it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

I had a boat at the hook come as close as 10 feet in front of me with there engine on reverse. I ended up losing about 100 feet of braid after almost getting spooled. I was so focused that I didn't see the boat coming. That was about 2 years ago.

^^^^^ Dude I think I remember reading that. you are way lucky. One of these days maybe someone won't be. have to be on point out there at all times. JB did these guys thank you for trying to help them or were they just out of it? did they offer any explanation why they screwed up?

wondering what this year will bring

Heard about this. They got stranded saturday. Looks like sea tow got them out of there OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22572 boat at the hook.jpg  

Anyone know the story? I can't really tell where on the hook this is.

Its kind of spooky at night most GPS are way off on the point.

Its not really a problem as long as you always follow the channel markers.....ALWAYS GO RIGHT OF THE GREEN #11 CAN WHEN RETURNING! lol

Some guys I know were telling the story recently. I think it happened just West of the False Hook. Right inside the bowl that starts where fishermans trail ends. They have changed that so much recently with all the dredging that it doesn't show up accurately on gps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast