Thread: Sandy Hook access?

Hybrid View

In case anyone didn't yet know the false hook has been closed indefinitely. I asked the security guard there what that meant. He said at least through the winter. It will be hard to sneak in this time. If you can bypass the webbed security fence there are guards in trucks 24/7 that will chase you out. The indignities that surf fishermen have to go through just to be able to fish the surf are getting worse every year.
    Things are nothing like they used to be. Does anyone remember fishing from the Sea Bright wall? Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Things are nothing like they used to be. Does anyone remember fishing from the Sea Bright wall? Those were the days.

Thanks for ruining my day bucket.
    I haven't fished the hook in ages. Mostly because it has gone downhill. The cuts and points are nowhere like they used to be. Check out this pic I found on the net. SH looks nothing like that now, but it used to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH 21223234223-789u9u9.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	17726

Seabright wall that was some of the best fishing up north. When the herring came in the fish would be within casting range and you could catch real fish, 25# and over. Back then when you got a 30" fish there was no internet back slapping or "nice fish!!!!" like you see today. A 30" fish was a baby and something you would not look for recognition for or congratulate yourself for on a video weigh in. The guys at Giglios would laugh if you posted something like that.

When the herring run was on there would be scores of nice fish landed and weighed at Giglios. The fish had to be 30lbs to be praise-worthy. Those were the days all right. I miss them.

Thanks for the update bucket and jigfreak for sharing the memories of the sea bright wall. That must have been something. I haven't been fishing for as long as you guys and sure do appreciate you telling it like it was back then.
    Guess the sandy hook crowd will not be a crowd any more.

Live lined many a 20, 30,and 40 pound bass off the wall in the 70 's and 80's on live bunker we bought at Bahr,s landing

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Awesome recollections of the old times thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Live lined many a 20, 30,and 40 pound bass off the wall in the 70 's and 80's on live bunker we bought at Bahr,s landing

Wow that must have been cool! Does anyone know the spring hours at sandy hook? I was going to get the pass and wondered what the hours are. Thanks

Porgy you can go in the park from 5am to 10pm without a night pass. That's as of now. From 10pm to 5am you have to have one or you will be ticketed. You can get a night pass right at the office when you drive in, check or money order. During the day they might take cash, not sure of that.
    I believe as of Memorial Day the hours will contract to 5am to 8pm. There is also a thread here at the top of the page with all the sandy hook info. Hope that helps.