Fun photo's:
(Photo's)
I like this photo of an iceberg floating down thru the lower end of the riverwhile getting a nice Steelhead photo. The fun part of landing this steelheadwas hoping these ice bergs wouldn't hit your leader and break you off. It'salways FUN when your fishing and 1 of these run's into you. SURPRISE!!
-
(Photo's)
I had a celebrity in the drift boat today. It was Dave Claus. (Santa's brother)
Dave, Myself and Miss Steelhead are fishing you all a Safe and Happy Holiday!
-
(Photo's)
Floating thru the Cow Pasture in the drift boat during a dark, overcast, fresh snow, Winters dayon the Salmon River Pulaski NY. (Looks pretty cold and miserable to me, care to join me? Didn't think soooooooo..............)
-
(Photo's)
My niece Kate says, the fishieeeeees are thiiiiiiiiiiis BIG on the Salmon RiverNY!
-
(Photo's)
Jen decided to spend some quality time with her boyfriend while he fished here for steelhead during the Winter. (yukyuk)
A funny reaction to when the heater runs out of propane in the middle ofthe day, in the middle of the Winter on the drift boat.
She was hanging around for the day while her boyfriend fishedfor Steelhead. (We hit our fair share) In return, she was promised a dayof shopping in Montreal.
-
-
From the Archives - Jud and his girlfriend Theresa had a few goals for today:
1. An introduction to the Salmon River.
2. Have fun
3. Stay warm
4. Learn the basics of fishing for Steelhead.
5. Catch fish
We succeeded on all of the above goals.
-
Theresa's first question was, Randy, how will I know when I get one on? Jud and myself both said in unison, you'll know.
-
Shortly there after she was tight to a Steelhead. She yelled, WOW, oh SH-T,what is happening, what do I do. (yukyuk, or something to that effect) Asher line came tight, rod started to throb, drag started to sing and her fishmade a mad dash for freedom.
She did a great job of fighting the fish and was rewarded with the below landed Steelie.
(Photo's)
Theresa with a (lake effect) snow covered hat and a greatsmile. Theresa battling her first ever fish in her whole life. What a wayto break her in on a great big ol Steelhead.
What will todays steelhead drift boat fishing trip on the Salmon River NYhave in store for us? Lot's of steelhead!
(Photo's)
WOW! A 16 lb. steelhead! This was Teresa's first time ever fishing in her wholelife! I think she will be back) - (Fish released)
(Photo's)
Teresa yells out VICTORY!! throwingher arms in the air. Her boyfriend Jud was tickled pink and very proud ofher success. I think Jud has found a new fishing buddy.
Jud mumbles under his breath, beginner'sluck. yukyuk

-
We hit fish in 1 out of 3 spots. Today's tally was 1 for 5.
Another memorable day of many. "The Salmon River, Where memories are made"
-
-
Recent Viewer Comment:
Randy I have never fished with you but I want to thank you for your reports and all your advice on steelhead fishing. I am thrilled the fishing has made such a good comeback and you and your clients releasing all fish caught last week has to play a big part of the comeback. Just think about when the limit was 3/client and 3 for the guide. 9 a day taken 5 days a week and 45 less fish in the river just for your boat and if it was the same for other boats and shore anglers the fishery would never be what it is today.
Keep up the good work
Gary in Connecticut
-
HI Gary, Thanks for your kind and generous words! Best Holiday Fish's, Randy
-
We didn't catch a fish all week
My guest's and I canceled or re-scheduled 6 trip's this week due to uncomfortable- possible - probable dangerous, driving - fishing weather conditions. Sometimes, a fish (or the $) just ain't worth it. Your safety and comfort is #1!
-
Where the land ends LIFE begins
My favorite time of the year:
First off, we have had about a gate of water or more for almost the entiresteelhead season, so far. This has and well continue to cause a flow of freshfish into the river. The reservoir's are looking good with ample water forthe upcoming Winter month's.
-
Weather and water wise, things are looking to be shaping up nicely for thisWinter. With recent rain, then snow, then rain, then high winds combinedwith above freezing air temperature. This has produced additional run-off.
With air + water temperatures dropping you will then see them keying in onthe slowest, deepest water for the remainder of the Winter. Keep in mindthe transitional spots will still produce as long as we have fish on themove. (Presently)
-
Another key is angler pressure. Less anglers = less pressure. With cold temp's,this cuts out a lot of the fair weather anglers. Hunting season also causesa reduction of angler's on the river. One of the main ingredients that effect'sangler pressure at this time of year are the holidays.
-
Most folks would think of Jan., Feb. not being very good. But I can tellyou, it can and is a couple of great month's to steelhead fish.
All of the above and more are reasons why this is my favorite time of the year.
-
-
Archived Jan. Salmon River Report

(Photo's)
With the sunrise came hopes for a good day on the river.
-
I had a first today. My guest's were 100% on hooking up in every spot wefished off the drift boat. We hit fish in all 5 spots today. I also noticedabout a dozen fish on the move (In transition, swimming up river) off theboat. Pat and Todd had a combined tally of 4 for 10 today on the Silver Bullet's!Blue egg sacks were the hot ticket today. Ssssssh.
We lost 2 fish today that were BIG Steelhead! One had to be about 20 lb'sand the other was a solid 16 lb'r. Both were lost due to my guests poorlytied knots. (he-he)
(Photo's)
Todd is all smiles - 3 of the landed steelhead were released to fight anotherday and hopefully to produce more off spring for all of you to catch.
Only the above BIG Male was released into the cooler. Congrats!
-
(Photo's)
As the sun rose to another day on the water, itmade me realize how very lucky I am. To do what I enjoy and share it withall of you.
Thanks,
Randy
( P.S. If you are coming up this weekend to fish, bring a shovel and sleep in. -yukyuk)