Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Jetty Country will be a parking lot - Want to stop it? Get involved!

Update...

Extension till April 10...
    I am sending out e-mails to anyone I have ever met...who has an interest in fishing....asking for support...
    Contacting more key groups who may be able to lend an opinion or support.

Countdown:
    12 days Left
    1. Please try to send those e-mails.....

and when you have done it, sound off in this thread, to give others the incentive....
    We have some momentum, but if you care about fishing access we still need your help...
    **We will not win, if more e-mails are not sent...
    Every e-mail sent can make a difference.

2. Make those phone calls......this is your chance to be heard.
    Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

APP Letter to editor published today.
    Another perspective to the plan

Beach replenishment costly, creates dangers

This is in reference to the news story, “Save the jetties ral­ly planned for 5 p.m. today,” March 21.

We were pleased by cover­age of the protest in Asbury Park on the Army Corps beach project. Their work is pumping huge volumes of sand onto beaches from Sea Bright to Bar­n egat Inlet.

Although they claim recre­ational benefits, their sand p umping, as we see now at Mon­mouth Beach, creates hazards for all water users.

T he ocean bottom changes to one where deep water and beachfront collide. This abrupt bottom change with more “shore-break” waves means in­creased injury of swimmers, surfers, and kayakers in these places.

The sand, back from the wa­ter’s edge, becomes a cliff where people are trapped at high tide . In many locations, this stops anyone from even reaching the water. Folks with children should avoid areas re­cently “replenished.”

This work also annihilates the fish and other aquatic life in these areas. All recreation suf­fers.

The half-billion dollars wast­ed on this project only covers the work as far as Manasquan. It will eventually continue to Barnegat Inlet, which could double that figure.

The sand pumping will be re­peated every six years until 2048, and just the Sea Bright to Manasquan section costs $300 million. Nearly $100 million of it will come from the taxpayers of New Jersey.

The project cost/benefit analysis from 1988 is used on the ridiculous assumption that no changes occurred to coastal buildings after Sandy. Non­sense! Many were raised and modified to withstand storms. In the next one, structural dam­age would be far less and the analysis from 1988 is invalid. Why is it used?

The millions of dollars used pumping sand would go farther on more appropriate measures. Let’s not waste our scarce re­sources.

Ross Kushner

COORDINATOR, COASTAL KAYAK ANGLERS ASSOCIATION ALLENHURST

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    T he ocean bottom changes to one where deep water and beachfront collide. This abrupt bottom change with more ?shore-break? waves means in*creased injury of swimmers, surfers, and kayakers in these places.

The sand, back from the wa*ter?s edge, becomes a cliff where people are trapped at high tide . In many locations, this stops anyone from even reaching the water. Folks with children should avoid areas re*cently ?replenished.?
    Great letter, and if the above is true in a few areas the people who suggested this and ok'd it should be put in jail for reckless endangerment (if that is a law), (sheer stupidity and corruption withstanding).
    I have stepped and fallen into a covered jetty "hole", fell over 3 feet deep. And have have seen in person the "cliffs".
    So these people who approve the pumping of this so called "beach replenishment" never have to go back and see the hazards its created? Or maybe a before and after under water pic of the sea life?
    I still find it unbelievable the amount of "beach replenishment" that has already been completed. This "last stand" in my mind is way to late, but still wort while.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    So these people who approve the pumping of this so called "beach replenishment" never have to go back and see the hazards its created? Or maybe a before and after under water pic of the sea life?
    I think its all about the politics and the dollars. Thanks shorelady and everyone else.

I am sending out e-mails to anyone I have ever met...who has an interest in fishing....asking for support...

Countdown:
    10 days Left

and when you have done it, sound off in this thread, to give others the incentive....
    We have some momentum, but if you care about fishing access we still need your help...

Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

Sorry to be so negative but pallone and memandez were pushing beach replenishment back in 2011. Do you think there will be alternatives considered at any acoe meeting? not.

another pallone video. Here hes talking about the seabright and mon beach replenishment. Totally different animal than jetty row. This guys a hero hes not going to listen to fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Sorry to be so negative but pallone and memandez were pushing beach replenishment back in 2011. Do you think there will be alternatives considered at any acoe meeting? not.

Did you see how they looked at the guys protesting this? like they were little children! I think Joe Werner said it best "they provide some access they don't affect adequate access. And the rules that the Christie administration is putting across will reduce the access."
    They then went on to blame the state govt for access problems. If they are involved aren't they responsible too?

I called today and said they are not supporting the fishermen and are greedy and must be taking bribes. The guy who answered was not too happy to hear that. He did thank me for calling before he hung up on me lol. thank you shorelady and every one else.

Countdown:
    10 days Left

Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

I will call for the cause. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Did you see how they looked at the guys protesting this? like they were little children!
    They then went on to blame the state govt for access problems. If they are involved aren't they responsible too?
    Melendez and Pallone look like they should be sharing each others hotnutz after slathering them with grey poupon. Elitist liberal tools. Hooray for the surfrider guy. I called today. Think they are getting tired of these calls. Good

Update:

At some point they will probably set up a public meeting with the USCOE. These letters and phone calls are a good practice run for those who will be there.....let's try to keep this pressure on, folks, thanks to all those who are helping.

Countdown:
    9 days Left

Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

Update:

At some point they will probably set up a public meeting with the USCOE. These letters and phone calls are a good practice run for those who will be there.....let's try to keep this pressure on, folks, thanks to all those who are helping.

Countdown:
    8 days Left

Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

To those who have read this, who are having trouble caring, or understanding the significance of this move, to all of us who fish the surf......
    Some thoughts.......for those who have fished Montauk.....

1. Imagine the USACOE were to come along and decide that it was a good idea to bury the shores of Montauk, simply because of the erosion at the clffs there. What if they said they were going to bury the north and south sides with 4 million tons of sand to stem the erosion and changing shoreline?
    2. What if they said that was the best plan, leaving it "as it has been for over a hundred years" was no longer an option?
    3. What would you fishermen say to that?
    4. How ridiculous would that seem to you?

Well, that is almost what is happening to Jetty Country in NJ.

Brookhaven, LI, was one of the most significant fights in LI access in the last decade.
    I know, I was there for the meetings.....we won only after large #s of guys said "II'm sick of getting pushed around and won't take it anymore!!!!"

This will be the most significant fight of this decade for fishing and fishing access in NJ.
    It's so significant because most of our other oceanside access is now buried,.,,,,this is a unique area that doesn't need sand replenishment.....it will not work.......

We will not win, without your support.....
    The next beach may be the one in your backyard.....
    And you will want some support for that.,....
    If you can't bring yourself to send an easy e-mail, that is already prepared for you....how will that look, when you are asking others to support saving a beach, in your own neighborhood?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give us!

Time to post Art's video again....

A video shot by Art Nelson with clips from back in the 90's showing the effects of beach replenishment on the southern Monmouth county beaches....some of the clips show restoration from Spring Lake to Manasquan......

During Sandy.....that sand and jetty notching protected none of those houses......because by then most of that sand had been washed away.....
    After you folks watch the video....make your own assessments....ask yourselves, after watching it....if sand replenishment effectively protects the real estate?....or does it just provide jobs and curry political favor?...you decide.....

Also, do we blindly accept the words of the ACOE, who has lied in federal testimony before?

0:00"This film will prove that you can't be in favor of marine life along the Jersey Shore and sand pumping. You just can't have it both ways. "

5:45 "The Army Corps of Engineers has falsely testified that there is no life to speak of around the shallow structures"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I hope if there is a meeting a lot of people will show up. A show of force will go a long way.

Update:

Countdown:
    7 days Left

Congressman Pallone
    (732) 571-1140

Thanks people!

Called today

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast