I want to thank John for starting this thread....
With the loss of access....there has been exponential demand for kayaks...Unfortunately some do not fully understand the seriousness of being out there, and how quickly the weather can turn, especially in early Spring.......

Someone I know of got their son a new Pro Angler...and they were out there the other day in 35mph winds....
I am posting my response not as a criticism of them....but as a hope that some reading these posts...can learn from the mistakes. We all make mistakes in judgment. I have made many in my life....making a serious mistake on a kayak can result in serious injury or loss of life.......

:
"My 15 year old son got his first boat over the weekend - a 14 foot kayak, and he pedaled and paddled nine miles today in a strong wind, learning many lessons along the way. A nine mile kayak slog in 35 mph winds is good exercise.

Deceived by the ease of the outgoing tide, he sped out to the Scotch Caps at 5 mph. He anchored up in the rocks and tried casting for bass -- maybe he got a hit.

As the waves built up and crashed into the rocks, he headed deep into Milton Harbor to try for flounder.

He ignored my suggestion to take a plastic quart container to pee in and eventually nature called. He decided to land on the mudflat at the Marshlands Conservancy. Seemed like a good idea -- NOT. He sank into the deep mud and had to drag the kayak for a long while before he could get into deep enough water to launch.

By then, he had to endure a wicked wind against tide until he got to Hen Island and cut through to the lee side. Calm at last -- but not for long.

The run along the shoreline in outer Mamaroneck Harbor was open to the southwest and with the wind against tide, he battled standing 3 foot waves the whole way back to the Mamaroneck Beach and Yacht Club.

Once inside the inner harbor, all was peaceful again, and he cruised along to the ramp where I picked him up 6 hours after dropping him off. Now he's cleaning his mud-stained boat. How come he never cleaned mine for the past dozen years? Water temps ranged from the high 40s well into the 50s in the shallow mud area. But no fish were to be had. He's one happy camper though."