Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter boats and spring fishing

Default Charter boats and spring fishing

It looks like the charter boats in Raritan Bay are starting to catch and kill some keeper size bass. Its all legal.
    Are all these bass being killed females with eggs?
    I know its legal, I know its how the captains and mates make a living.
    My opinion on this is:
    If these bass are pre-spawn, with eggs, its just another fishing management careless blunder, major-screw up. I would think that at least for pre-spawn/spawn that the regulations in the bay/river be (at the most) one bass, no tag. Maybe even for a bit post-spawn, to give them a chance to get out of Dodge.
    Hopefully the regulations will change next year.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I read somewhere that they do that in maryland. Good idea for the raritan bay as well. The only problem is what would the meatmen do if they can't take fish home. That would be like going into a strip joint and dry humping the pole instead of the stripper. If you asked them to do that their eyes might explode.

^^^^Maryland is catch and release until after the spawn.

They shouldn't be fished for till after the spawn the stress of the fight could cause the fish to prematurely lay eggs which will not hatch causing a lower spawn rate.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

You guys may be right but the charter/party captains and would probably lobby together to oppose this. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    ^^^^Maryland is catch and release until after the spawn.

Well its open now (just this weekend reopened) and these girls don't look post spawn.....

http://www.sawyercharters.com/chesap...nd-fishing.htm

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Even though they only kept one each that's a lot of meat. I read online where somone was saying the fish they are catching in the chesapeake now are not spawned out. Maybe because of the cold winter they are taking later to drop their eggs.

The Raritan bay meat runs have started. Check out the meatmen thread.

Wheres the guy here who posted the meatmen song? Post it again please that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    They shouldn't be fished for till after the spawn the stress of the fight could cause the fish to prematurely lay eggs which will not hatch causing a lower spawn rate.
    I agree. Lay off the spawners till after they're done. It wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Wheres the guy here who posted the meatmen song? Post it again please that was funny.

My ears were ringing. And thank you sir.
    Here ya go-

Something to lighten it up a bit

Attachment 16955

Mikey the Meat Man - sung to Popeye the sailor man

I'm Mikey the Meat Man. I'm Mikey the Meat Man.
    I'm an internet hero, the bass I throw back are zero.
    I'm Mikey the Meat Man.

If about saving the bass you squeak, you must be a peta freak
    Or like mens derrierres.
    I hooks 'em and fillets 'em and always out weighs 'em
    And none of 'em gets away nowhere.

If anyone hates my bonus tag, well your nothing but a ***
    So keep your bass lmit every day, blame the head boats its the american way

I'm Mikey the Meat Man.

I give bass to the poor, cause they live in a sewer.
    If they can't have looseys, the stripahs are sweet and juicy.

Change the law dont give me crap
    Otherwise shut your stinkin trap.

If I can't put meat in a can I'm not a man.
    Dont give me no quarter its an all out slaughter on the water.

I'm Mikey the Meat Man.

Capt Al Ristori posted this today. I agree 100% -

"As expected, striped bass fishing broke open last weekend in Raritan Bay with clamming, trolling and live bunker fishing all producing lots of legal bass. Yet, as good as that fishing has been, it’s important to keep in mind that most of those large bass are females feeding up before spawning in the Hudson River next month.

It’s almost certain that any striper of 20 pounds or more is a female, and the future of local stocks is dependent on maintaining a strong spawning stock in the Hudson. If you’re going to bring home some fish, it’s better to keep the smaller males rather than round-bellied females so close to spawning."

They really should shut it down in the Hudson and Raritan till may like they do in Maryland. It would be no big deal and help the bass population.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I agree. Lay off the spawners till after they're done. It wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice.
    Maybe for you and I it wouldn't but if you have to lay off the spawners there would be no trophy fish weighed. No bragging rights at the dock or the bar. Whats the point of fishing if you can't brag how good you are to your buddies?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Possible changes that were submitted by both sides and discussed:

1. Captains and mates on charter and head boat can not catch and give fish to paying customers
    2. No more bonus tags to head and charter boats for every carried passenger on board
    Finchaser I hope they really do this. That is illegal the capts giveing their share of the catch to the fares. Catch your own fish. If you can't then you should ask the capt to wipe your *** when you take a dump too because that is just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I heard there is an all out slaughter ......... I guess not too many of the big girls are getting thrown back.
    There should be a catch and release only regulation pre spawn. Maryland has that reg, why don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    I heard there is an all out slaughter on stripers in Raritan Bay. I guess not too many of the big girls are getting thrown back. I found this pic on the net.

Attachment 18213

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    There should be a catch and release only regulation pre spawn. Maryland has that reg, why don't we?

I agree they should make it c&r during the spawn. So many guys talk about the future of stripers but then keep 3 big ones every time. If we all keep 3 just because we can there will be no future.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    One of those know it alls who has epic fishing every time. Latest report they got fish to 36 lbs and all kept their limits. Fish 20 lbs and up All prime spawning fish that will never spawn again.
    How much meat - can you eat?
    He has a reputation for exaggerating. Take his reports with a grain of salt. His job to pack the boat. He has to talk the bite up to do that. You might want to cut him some slack for that part of the promoting. As for the keeping of big fish I don't usually keep fish that big they don't taste that good. He has to follow the wishes of his fares.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    His job to pack the boat. He has to talk the bite up to do that. You might want to cut him some slack for that part of the promoting. As for the keeping of big fish I don't usually keep fish that big they don't taste that good. He has to follow the wishes of his fares.
    Well here is a capt who is not only following the wishes of his fares he is promoting "bonus limits" on every trip. Is it the fares who make him do it or is the capt culpable? After all he is using it as part of his marketing strategy. So he has to take some of the responsibility.
    What do you guys think about that? Here is the report:

" Friday was pay back time Troy an his guys had a bonus limit in the box by 8:15. Friday afternoon's open boat crew easily put a bonus limit on ice also. Saturday John an his crew had a great trip by putting another bonus limit on ice .

Saturday afternoon was a tough one . We read lots of fish that would not bite.
    We ended up only killing 7. "

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    Well here is a capt who is not only following the wishes of his fares he is promoting "bonus limits" on every trip. Is it the fares who make him do it or is the capt culpable? After all he is using it as part of his marketing strategy. So he has to take some of the responsibility.
    What do you guys think about that? Here is the report:

We ended up only killing 7. "
    What do I think? that this guy is a real class act.
    Poor baby - ONLY killed 7 fish. What an A**-munch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast